hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 503 of 561 FirstFirst ... 3403453493500501502503504505506513553 ... LastLast
Results 10,041 to 10,060 of 11201

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I hate to support Trump on anything but there are a lot of issues with the haphazard and incompetent manner in which many places run mail in ballots. Look at the disaster in Paterson New Jersey atm. So far 20% of the ballots in their city mail in election have been deemed invalid, people are complaining that they didn't receive a ballot yet they are on record as having voted.

Then you have the practice of vote harvesting and broking.

Can the USA actually run an proper election?
    Same as Lachesis. California has done so for more than 50 years with no issue other than the one that exists in Trumps probably not fit for office delusional mind.
    So California has had 50 years to get it right. How are other states going to go getting the system in place in time for November. Wisconsin had issues with its April vote. And while the Trumpsters think that it is a plot by the Dems to cheat I am sure that a lot on the GOP side will fuck with the mail in vote given a chance too.

In Australia we have a single Federal Electoral Commission that runs all elections. We don't have voter ID, vote in person and by mail, and have no problems. How can the US system be so fucked up?
    Did you miss the part where the Republicans are suing to try and remove my ability to vote by mail. There are no widespread issues with mail in voting. We can put a man on the moon but apparently there is no way we can handle mail in voting? You actually buy that?

This has nothing to do with mismanaged mail voting. It’s a purposeful tactic to degrade the rights of US citizens.
    I may be wrong but from what I have heard the issue in California is a change the way the voting papers are being sent out, not the system as it currently exists. I do not know what the legal (or is it Constitutional) basis for the challenge is. Is the Californian Supreme Court hearing the case?

Sorry for the questions but the news reports never go into the basis for the challenge.
    The RNC said that voting by mail creates an opportunity for fraud. Republicans, including U.S. President Donald Trump, have claimed mail-in voting is susceptible to rigging.
    That is their reasoning. There is literally less than fuck all evidence of any “voter fraud” beyond the literal clinical insanity of one Donald J Trump and the ethical void spawning republicans who will pounce of that and exploit it so their “Team” can win America.

LIterally, “ooh. My fragile tiny penis of an ego cant handle the fact I’d be an illegitimate president in an actual functioning democracy”. 3 million more people voted against trump than for him. The senators who voted to impeach him represent 17 million more Americans than those that didn’t Ultimately. They cant keep power any other way besides cheating and destroying the rights of American citizens, because they haven’t had an idea beyond criminal in 50 years.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    So we've passed:

100,000 dead who had Coronavirus.

40,000,000 newly unemployed and requesting benefits (with who knows how many who didn't/can't make a claim).

Not-joking talk of a 2nd Great Depression.

Another major American city on fire due to racism and violence.

And Donald Trump looking more and more like a lock to win a second term, further destroying the country.

Well.......FHC's Euros wanted to see America burn and knocked down a peg or six, looks like you're getting your wish.

Hope you enjoy your new Chinese geopolitical overlords. Maybe someone should be forward-looking, and make a "China Politics 2021" Thread, and get ahead of the action.
    Reminder that less than 28% of America chose and elected the fucker, and has had literally half a decade of him showing exactly who and what he is, and decided that you all, collectively, liked what you saw. No point getting bitter about "us Euros" - we had no say in this and still don't. We never wanted to "see America burn" we just wanted it to stop fucking burning everyone else.
    Another ~42% didn't think he was a big enough problem to bother about.
    Yes. A lot of people here are either disenfranchised by republicans to the point where its anti-american, or they've given up, or are just the regular people we all have who wander through life, bumbling about. I don't think America is necessarily better or worse than anyone here, the exacerbating factors amplify that a lot for 2016.
    They should probably move the election to the weekend for a start.
    Step 1 - Eliminate Columbus Day

Step 2 - Make Election Day a National Holiday w/ Free Service by All Mass Transit

Step 3 - National Voter ID, Instant Registration, Free From Every State DMV (Federally Funded)

Step 4 - Proportional & Ranked-Choice

Step 5 - Better System?
    Why do you hate republicans so much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

I up dated the post you quoted as you quoted it.

The legal argument - Trump's twitter tantrums aside - is that the Governor of California over stepped his power when he made an order that ballots be automatically sent to registered voters, which must be a change from how things were done before.

It will come down to whether the Governor has the legal power to make that order or whether he needs to do it via the legislature.
    Last edited by Maximillian; May 29 2020 at 09:42:13 PM.

The legal argument - Trump's twitter tantrums aside - is that the Governor of California over stepped his power when he made an order that ballots be automatically sent to registered voters, which must be a change from how things were done before.

It will come down to whether the Governor has the legal power to make that order or whether he needs to do it via the legislature.
    https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...NCvNewsom.html

Read the complaint yourself.

It argues he did something that the legislature should have done.

The proper response here is for the legislature to pass an emergency measure approving the change; both chambers have Democratic super majorities, I don't think it will prove much of an obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

The proper response here is for the legislature to pass an emergency measure approving the change; both chambers have Democratic super majorities, I don't think it will prove much of an obstacle.
    Then why didn't he go through the legislature to do it then? Why put the whole thing at risk of being declared illegal by a court if he could have it voted in? That is stupid.

The first two points in the complaint are what the case will hinge on. Does the US Constitution grant the power to manage elections to the legislature and not the Governor. The rest is political bullshit.
    Last edited by Maximillian; May 29 2020 at 09:53:44 PM.

Then why didn't he go through the legislature to do it then? Why put the whole thing at risk of being declared illegal by a court if he could have it voted in? That is stupid.
    Dude it's Gavin Newsom.

Also it's not clear that he *does* need the legislature's authority for the change; the RNC is merely alleging that he does.

Dude it's Gavin Newsom.

Also it's not clear that he *does* need the legislature's authority for the change; the RNC is merely alleging that he does.
    I am not prejudging the case. All I am saying is if the Governor got the Dem controlled legislature to pass a bill rather than using an executive order then the GOP could shout shit but have no legal method to prevent the change going ahead.

Edit for context.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...er=1.&article= - California Election Code.

The Governor's Executive order seems to run counter to enacted law. My limited understanding based on Congress vs. the President is that Executive Orders cannot override enacted laws.

We'll see what the court thinks.
    Last edited by Maximillian; May 29 2020 at 10:06:38 PM.

Dude it's Gavin Newsom.

I am not prejudging the case. All I am saying is if the Governor got the Dem controlled legislature to pass a bill rather than using an executive order then the GOP could shout shit but have no legal method to prevent the change going ahead.

Edit for context.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...er=1.&article= - California Election Code.

The Governor's Executive order seems to run counter to enacted law. My limited understanding based on Congress vs. the President is that Executive Orders cannot override enacted laws.

How about his ability to enforce stay at home orders, during a declared health crisis, of which the mail in voting is a measure to prevent Californians from suffering more than they have already?
    meh

Dude it's Gavin Newsom.

Edit for context.

How about his ability to enforce stay at home orders, during a declared health crisis, of which the mail in voting is a measure to prevent Californians from suffering more than they have already?
    I just read a blog by a legal professor on all the executive orders issued in California recently, The general view is that the Governor has broad powers in health emergencies and the courts have historically supported that power - some church sued against the shutdown and the court refused to hear the case - but some of the orders related to business may be overstepping the mark.

The court is going to hear the voting changes case given the gravity - I have no idea on the outcome. My concern is the political theatre side. If the GOP wins the case then legislation can be passed, but it plays into the whole "they are rigging the vote" garbage. "See a court said the Governor was breaking the law". It's all about getting the base out to vote, the GOP was never going to win the electoral college in California, but it may have an impact elsewhere.

Maybe I am over thinking all this but I WANT TRUMP TO LOSE and the Democrats seemingly can't help playing into his hand.

If you control the legislature then pass a damn bill, don't play mini-President and wave your dick around with executive orders.

With that to bed!

Dude it's Gavin Newsom.

Edit for context.

I just read a blog by a legal professor on all the executive orders issued in California recently, The general view is that the Governor has broad powers in health emergencies and the courts have historically supported that power - some church sued against the shutdown and the court refused to hear the case - but some of the orders related to business may be overstepping the mark.

The court is going to hear the voting changes case given the gravity - I have no idea on the outcome. My concern is the political theatre side. If the GOP wins the case then legislation can be passed, but it plays into the whole "they are rigging the vote" garbage. "See a court said the Governor was breaking the law". It's all about getting the base out to vote, the GOP was never going to win the electoral college in California, but it may have an impact elsewhere.

Maybe I am over thinking all this but I WANT TRUMP TO LOSE and the Democrats seemingly can't help playing into his hand.

If you control the legislature then pass a damn bill, don't play mini-President and wave your dick around with executive orders.

With that to bed!
    They have literally been playing this same game since I got here as a young farm boy from Africa.

Also, the governor of most sates in, in fact, a mini president. Perhaps if the actual president is so inept as to be worse than useless, ther states have no choice but to be more independent.

Or is a states rights only allowed to be a thing when its republicans doing it?
    meh

Well, duh. States rights, freedom of X, whatever, its only a bludgeon to say "I can do what I want screw everyone else". An extension of the fuck you got mine mentality.

Republicans only care about states rights if it allows them to own other human beings as property.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

If you’re healthy enough to go riot and burn down your neighborhood, you can go stand in line to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlona Sky View Post
    If you’re healthy enough to go riot and burn down your neighborhood, you can go stand in line to vote.
    Yeah right after the cops execute you and you are purged from the voter rolls, or denied registration because the system is still racially biased. Keep screeching whitey.

Now THIS is a hot take.

Who do you vote for to have police held accountable for cold blooded murder?

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    A write-in vote for Chutulu?
      Spoiler:
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

If you're serious, a new mayor. They appoint the chief of police who of course dictates how the department runs. Minnesota has a Democrat governor, the city of Minneapolis, has a Democrat mayor, who of course appointed a Democrat chief of police.

You seeing a pattern yet?

And if you really want to make sure this shit don’t happen, you make sure the citizens are just as armed as the government. That piece of shit cop would not have murdered that man if people were armed.
    Last edited by Marlona Sky; May 30 2020 at 10:12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Yeah right after the cops execute you and you are purged from the voter rolls, or denied registration because the system is still racially biased. Keep screeching whitey.
    Also: in a lot of states convicted felons can't vote, no matter how long ago they were convicted. Now take a look at the statistics on what group of people was convicted the most through laws enacted during the war on drugs.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Also: in a lot of states convicted felons can't vote, no matter how long ago they were convicted. Now take a look at the statistics on what group of people was convicted the most through laws enacted during the war on drugs.
    If you serve the time, ALL your rights should be restored, including voting. It’s bullshit they are not. And weed should not be illegal, all weed related charges should be expunged.