hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 350 of 436 FirstFirst ... 250300340347348349350351352353360400 ... LastLast
Results 6,981 to 7,000 of 8720

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Remember the last time there was a 23 hour delay in a vote being counted and America backed a coup in Bolivia?
    This analogy would work better if the Iowa caucuses actually had any importance, but they don't really. Literally the only winner of them, in the entire history of the Iowa caucuses. who went on to win the presidency was Obama (the same year he broke all the voting records).

So while I'm sure that funneling all that votergeld into a tiny bucolic midwestern state makes them feel good, but the vote doesn't really mean, or predict anything.
    meh

I’m not sure either “tiny” or “bucolic” are terms I’d use to describe Iowa.

But yes, you’re right, it doesn’t matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    I’m not sure either “tiny” or “bucolic” are terms I’d use to describe Iowa.
    Idk. It all depends on your perspective, I suppose. It must seem like NYC to people from Nebraska, I guess.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Remember the last time there was a 23 hour delay in a vote being counted and America backed a coup in Bolivia?
    This analogy would work better if the Iowa caucuses actually had any importance, but they don't really. Literally the only winner of them, in the entire history of the Iowa caucuses. who went on to win the presidency was Obama (the same year he broke all the voting records).

So while I'm sure that funneling all that votergeld into a tiny bucolic midwestern state makes them feel good, but the vote doesn't really mean, or predict anything.
    Iowa, for the Dems, has been accurate 7 out of 9 times since '76, hasn't been wrong since '92. Iowa picked Gore, Kerry, Obama, and H. Clinton. Not saying that they didn't screw the pooch this time, but your info is wrong. EDIT: since dems suck at winning the presidency, they are only good predictor of who gets the nomination, so your statement could be right.
    Last edited by Dorvil Barranis; February 5 2020 at 03:25:44 PM.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

What are the thoughts about Trumps state of the union speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Iowa, for the Dems, has been accurate 7 out of 9 times since '76, hasn't been wrong since '92. Iowa picked Gore, Kerry, Obama, and H. Clinton. Not saying that they didn't screw the pooch this time, but your info is wrong. EDIT: since dems suck at winning the presidency, they are only good predictor of who gets the nomination, so your statement could be right.
    Can a homosexual former intelligence officer who's a mayor of a small town carry the Dem vote? A more Manchurian candidate I've never seen. Trump's behaviour will have an impact on Pete's success...

The Iowa Caucus machine is still counting?

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    I think the Democrats have set a new milestone for how to completely mismanage a vital and historic moment in time, and that Trump is unbelievably going to win a second term. And easily at that if things continue as they are.

The 2016 and 2020 election cycles will not go down in history for foreign interference or impeachment or whathaveyou. They're going to go down as a textbook case of how a political party can literally be wrong on every strategic and tactical decision they've made, thus literally handing power to a (legit possible) Tyrant.

The internal leftish vs. not-left-enough-left conflict only makes it more pathetic and stupid. As previously predicted, the two halves of the Democrat party are doing an excellent job of beating each other up and subdividing their portion of the electorate into only-my-guy camps instead of focusing on beating Trump.

Worse, the party ineptitude a la fixing 2016 for Clinton (the worst candidae in Dem history) and now unable to even manage f'ing Iowa ffs continues.

Worsst of all, for the first time I believe in the fear of "this guy won't leave office, he'll try and get another term". Never bought that conspiracy theory when it was aimed at Clinton, Bush II or Obama. Now, now I think it might just happen after Trumps 2nd term ends.

A second term he'd never get if the American "left" was even borderline competent as a party. Trump is bad. The Dems are dumb. I'll still vote for them and hope......but fuck, what a clownshow.

I mean this is not a problem unique to America or the Democrats. It’s a problem faced by governments for as long as there have been governments. The people who believe in government institutions just don’t know how to cope with mendacious rule-breakers, and they won’t break rules in defense of their values because they fear further weakening the institutions they are trying to defend.

It’s a problem that appears to be particularly acute among liberal governments, exacerbated as it is by liberal moral values regarding speech, property, and republicanism, but it’s a literally ancient trope. Remember Pompey’s famous line? “Do not quote laws to men with swords.”

This is just more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    The Senate impeachment trial of President Trump officially adjourned after senators acquitted Trump on both articles of impeachment.

The vote on the first article, abuse of power, was 52-48, with GOP Sen. Mitt Romney joining Democrats in their "guilty" votes. The vote on the second article, obstruction of justice, was along party lines, 53-47.

The Senate is now in recess until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    I think the Democrats have set a new milestone for how to completely mismanage a vital and historic moment in time, and that Trump is unbelievably going to win a second term. And easily at that if things continue as they are.

The 2016 and 2020 election cycles will not go down in history for foreign interference or impeachment or whathaveyou. They're going to go down as a textbook case of how a political party can literally be wrong on every strategic and tactical decision they've made, thus literally handing power to a (legit possible) Tyrant.

The internal leftish vs. not-left-enough-left conflict only makes it more pathetic and stupid. As previously predicted, the two halves of the Democrat party are doing an excellent job of beating each other up and subdividing their portion of the electorate into only-my-guy camps instead of focusing on beating Trump.

Worse, the party ineptitude a la fixing 2016 for Clinton (the worst candidae in Dem history) and now unable to even manage f'ing Iowa ffs continues.

Worsst of all, for the first time I believe in the fear of "this guy won't leave office, he'll try and get another term". Never bought that conspiracy theory when it was aimed at Clinton, Bush II or Obama. Now, now I think it might just happen after Trumps 2nd term ends.

A second term he'd never get if the American "left" was even borderline competent as a party. Trump is bad. The Dems are dumb. I'll still vote for them and hope......but fuck, what a clownshow.
    The guy will be positively ancient after his second term. He wont hang on when all he wants it rant on TV and get free hamberders at his golf course.

What *may* happen is that he and his cult honestly think one of his spawn should take over, continuing the long tradition of nepotism in american politics (Kennedys, Bushes, Clintons, i am sure there are more).

It's almost as good a show as Trump winning the election, not quite any crying and gnashing of teeth but the butthurt on reddit is still entertaining.

If that is not photoshop than its game over, Trump won already, it doesnt matter who Democrats run.

Though to be honest, for my last 15+ years of internet exposure to USA domestic politics "Independents" are 99% Republicans to proud to admit it, who may once in a blue moon vote for Democrat governor or senator if GOP candidate cannot win in their locale or is too much RINO.

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post

If that is not photoshop than its game over, Trump won already, it doesnt matter who Democrats run.

Though to be honest, for my last 15+ years of internet exposure to USA domestic politics "Independents" are 99% Republicans to proud to admit it, who may once in a blue moon vote for Democrat governor or senator if GOP candidate cannot win in their locale or is too much RINO.
    its not

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-o...cbs-news-poll/

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post

its not

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-o...cbs-news-poll/

Nice poll about SOTU 2019.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Good catch, too dumb to check date crew

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Good catch, too dumb to check date crew
    Also viewership was way down this year, per The NY Times.

About 30 million viewers.

Think for a moment about the kind of people actually sitting down in front of a television to watch this speech, and think about their age and their media preferences. Any poll of people who watched the speech will be a poor analog for the electorate as a whole; you’re polling just the old folks who are already inclined to support trump.

That said, obviously Trump stands a decent chance of being re-elected because America. Don’t think that his speech somehow won him favor with independents; any independent watching the thing already approved before they tuned in. But recall polling on impeachment, which showed that a majority of independents polled (about 60% if I recall) think he should be removed.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Klobu didn't do very well either, but she's not going anywhere (yet).
    Amy visited every county in a neighboring state, but still polled under 20%. I attribute her lackluster showing to a crowded field.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard