hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 122 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2272112119120121122123124125132172 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 3656

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...-secretary-64/

US kicks Turkey out of the F-35 program.
    NATO kick in 3,2,1?
    I think Europe would prefer Russia not deploy anti-ship missile systems in western Turkey. So, no kick.
    No pay! Is gift!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Senator Reek!

“She looks down with contempt on the hard-working Americans saying that ignorance is pervasive in many parts of this country,” Trump said.

Well, she's not wrong.
    meh

Of course she’s not.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post

Simply reading that gave me mild anxiety and reminded me of assessment centres, watson glaser tests and partner interviews. Respect to you for going through all that.

It's very competitive in the UK but firms - large transactional, so roughly 50 - will fund your training/living completely.
    Yes, but then youíre a transactional lawyer, and thus a blunt tool of capital.

Litigation at least tends to be more about taking from capital, whether in the form of judgments or fees. Like, my clients are all involved in disputes over capital that, in the grand scheme of things, are meaningless, but they still have to pay lawyers to resolve them. As someone who resolves disputes, Iím a few steps removed along the whole ďcomplicit in neoliberal decayĒ chain from the poor people who negotiated the deals Iím cleaning up.
    Iím glad your cause is more reightous than mine.

Nothing righteous about it!

More like nihilistic or cynical.

I help rich people fight over money after things go south and their plans get fucked, and extract a fee for doing so. Thus my livelihood depends on the continued shortcomings of capitalism. While I enjoy winning cases, there’s no personal skin in the game and thus no real stress. Only way to be a litigator and stay sane, if you ask me.

Ketchup on a hot dog. Disgusting Republican scenes.

yeah being a mercenary is probably the best call both personally and professionally

Pretty much.

Not that I don’t have a pretty finely tuned sense of justice, I just realize that my job has very little to do with achieving it.

But I do satisfying and meaningful pro-bono work that does, so that’s cool.

I help rich people fight over money after things go south and their plans get fucked, and extract a fee for doing so. Thus my livelihood depends on the continued shortcomings of capitalism. While I enjoy winning cases, there’s no personal skin in the game and thus no real stress. Only way to be a litigator and stay sane, if you ask me.
    I was going to talk about arbitral proceedings and how you’re all literally as bad as the transactional departments, but nihilism is fair enough, if a little sad. It’s not very fun for me unless it is personal tbh, it’s a service industry after all heh

I was going to talk about arbitral proceedings and how you’re all literally as bad as the transactional departments, but nihilism is fair enough, if a little sad. It’s not very fun for me unless it is personal tbh, it’s a service industry after all heh
    It’s not soul-crushing nihilism or anything like that. It’s just, as mewninn put it, being a bit mercenary. There are things I won’t do (like, say, patent trolling, or insurance subrogation) and I’m lucky enough to work for a firm that attracts reasonable clients who tend to be in the “right” most of the time.

I’m just trying to be realistic about the fact that, service industry or no, most commercial lawsuits are fundamentally meaningless. Not that customer service isn’t important, but the “fun” is in playing out interesting game states, not in the cause of the case itself.

Like my current big case, I’ve spent who knows how many hours working through about two years of very-high-paid transactional lawyers’ negotiations, which resulted in a shitty contract that was good for neither party. That contract has now led to a nine-figure lawsuit and the probable destruction of at least two corporations. Not my fault, not my problem, I just get paid to sort the pieces out, and I’m fine with that.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; July 18 2019 at 03:02:35 AM.

It’s not soul-crushing nihilism or anything like that. It’s just, as mewninn put it, being a bit mercenary. There are things I won’t do (like, say, patent trolling, or insurance subrogation) and I’m lucky enough to work for a firm that attracts reasonable clients who tend to be in the “right” most of the time.

I’m just trying to be realistic about the fact that, service industry or no, most commercial lawsuits are fundamentally meaningless. Not that customer service isn’t important, but the “fun” is in playing out interesting game states, not in the cause of the case itself.

Like my current big case, I’ve spent who knows how many hours working through about two years of very-high-paid transactional lawyers’ negotiations, which resulted in a shitty contract that was good for neither party. That contract has now led to a nine-figure lawsuit and the probable destruction of at least two corporations. Not my fault, not my problem, I just get paid to sort the pieces out, and I’m fine with that.
    That’s fair enough, I guess I misinterpreted your tone. For what it’s worth, sometimes I find people’s drafting skills are inversely proportional to their firm’s rep. I’ve worked with so many opposites at places like Latham/Linklaters whose work was just crap, whilst conversely getting really high quality stuff from smaller shops like Travers.

Firms probably need to adopt a different approach to recruitment.

Yeah, shitty writing is my number one professional pet peeve.

And there's no evidence I've seen to suggest that folks from white-shoe firms can write better--or think better--than lawyers from other firms.

Which is why I'm happy to work at a small firm (that happens to be full of ex white-shoe partners who can write well and generate interesting mid-to-upper-market work).

Also lol at calling Travers a "smaller shop." I guess it is in biglaw terms, but 200+ lawyers is not a small shop. My firm has 14. And we still do work for global, multi-billion dollar clients. :dunno: But that's the fun of working for a boutique, I guess?

Fuck, I even get to go home at 17:00 most nights.

Yeah, shitty writing is my number one professional pet peeve.

And there's no evidence I've seen to suggest that folks from white-shoe firms can write better--or think better--than lawyers from other firms.

Which is why I'm happy to work at a small firm (that happens to be full of ex white-shoe partners who can write well and generate interesting mid-to-upper-market work).

Also lol at calling Travers a "smaller shop." I guess it is in biglaw terms, but 200+ lawyers is not a small shop. My firm has 14. And we still do work for global, multi-billion dollar clients. :dunno: But that's the fun of working for a boutique, I guess?

Fuck, I even get to go home at 17:00 most nights.
    It’s not seen as remotely boutiquey, but that’s the general perspective from magic circle/white shoe firms; it highlights how stupidly snooty it is. My normal finish is about 2015-30, but of course it varies wildly and occasionally I’m out much earlier. My plan is to finish this secondment and then move on to a much smaller, offshore place so I can save - fuck partnership, nobody gets full equity anymore anyway.

I mean I am doing privilege review this evening, so that's fun...

And yeah, no one gets full equity anymore.

Anyway, enough lawyer lollygagging in the lolpolitics thread. But glad to have someone to share notes with. :P

I can heartily recommend leaving the billable hours-side of the world and joining industry instead, even better if you land something at a startup or semigrown startup. Good money to be had!
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    I can heartily recommend leaving the billable hours-side of the world and joining industry instead, even better if you land something at a startup or semigrown startup. Good money to be had!
    In-house is always a downgrade in pay for lawyers, even if you’re at a fund or within private equity. The best option for non-Americans who aren’t interested in partner and have no family tying them down is offshore work in places like the BVI/Bermuda - with no tax it’s essentially mid-level equity partnership.

Alternatively live your life for something other than chasing money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.