hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 498 of 559 FirstFirst ... 398448488495496497498499500501508548 ... LastLast
Results 9,941 to 9,960 of 11169

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Probably Mark Twain
    If you read the newspapers you are misinformed, if you don't read the newspapers you are uninformed.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Probably Mark Twain
    If you read the newspapers you are misinformed, if you don't read the newspapers you are uninformed.

So we've passed:

100,000 dead who had Coronavirus.

40,000,000 newly unemployed and requesting benefits (with who knows how many who didn't/can't make a claim).

Not-joking talk of a 2nd Great Depression.

Another major American city on fire due to racism and violence.

And Donald Trump looking more and more like a lock to win a second term, further destroying the country.

Well.......FHC's Euros wanted to see America burn and knocked down a peg or six, looks like you're getting your wish.

Hope you enjoy your new Chinese geopolitical overlords. Maybe someone should be forward-looking, and make a "China Politics 2021" Thread, and get ahead of the action.
    Last edited by Alistair; May 28 2020 at 01:51:19 PM.

Waiting to see how UK will one up Trumps decimation of USA

I think everyone was clamouring for the US to get it’s act together and live up to the amazing potential there is with a massive country with massive resources and massive cultural influence.

This isn’t the way to do it ‘Murica!
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    I think everyone was clamouring for the US to get it’s act together and live up to the amazing potential there is with a massive country with massive resources and massive cultural influence.

Well, we fucked it up.

But no fear, I am sure our old friends in Europe will do swimmingly in the new future world dominated by China and Russia.

Best of luck, don't be twats like we were.

Russia has lower GDP than Italy. China will be the dominant superpower if they manage to develop some form of global cultural output.

Unless Europe does something smart like bailout their failing economies properly and start issuing Eurobonds.
    Last edited by Keckers; May 28 2020 at 02:05:35 PM.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Well, we fucked it up.

But no fear, I am sure our old friends in Europe will do swimmingly in the new future world dominated by China and Russia.

Any particular reason you're again making stuff up?

It can't be all bad across the pond, economics graph is still going up.

And remember Alistair
    Every bursted bubble has a glory!
    Each abysmal failure makes a point!
    Every glowing path that goes astray,
    Shows you how to find a better way.
    So every time you stumble never grumble.
    Next time you'll bumble even less!
    For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

Well, we fucked it up.

Any particular reason you're again making stuff up?
    he is right tho, China has taken over global economy and Russia is still there despite all attempts while the situation in the US is on the downward spiral with not a clear end in sight

inb4 resource wars
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Well.......FHC's Euros wanted to see America burn and knocked down a peg or six, looks like you're getting your wish.
    Very few wanted this. I for one wanted the US to the proper land of opportunity, where everyone can achieve their dreams, limited only by their skills and ambition. But it seems along the way it turned into land of indentured servitude and debt slavery with an oligarchic upper class hoarding all the wealth while flirting with fascism and stirring racial tensions. It's not a unique trajectory and the same trends are seen elsewhere, but the US is/was the best hope for a non-autocratic model of government.

Now we're left with impotent Russia, China with their literal concentration camps, or feeble EU that has members who seem hell bent on giving a big fuck you to democracy and human rights (hello Orban). So yeah, it's not really looking good, especially with climate change looming ahead. So I'm hedging my bets on total fucking panic, dead people, and bullshit.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

When I worked with US tourists and they asked me for opinion on the US, I just had to admit I'm disappointed. It had so much potential, on paper at least. Along the way it turned into the almost literal opposite of the original idea.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Nah, I think China lacks the cultural output to be considered the next global hegemon

They're not going for a cultural but an economic victory m8

The USA fell for the imperial dream. They wanted to be the global force in the world but instead they hollowed themselves out.

All imperial dreams end in tears.

The EU should pay attention.

Russia has lower GDP than Italy. China will be the dominant superpower if they manage to develop some form of global cultural output.

Unless Europe does something smart like bailout their failing economies properly and start issuing Eurobonds.
    I think it's ok to admit Putin has figured out new warfare quicker than everyone else, and is punching way above his weight.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

I think it's ok to admit Putin has figured out new warfare quicker than everyone else, and is punching way above his weight.
    Asymmetrical power projection at its finest. The USA bankrupted itself financially and morally to bring down the USSR. Russia brings down the USA with a few twitter bots and facebook ads.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

He hasn't figured out that constructive domestic and foreign policy is necessary to become a superpower. Being disruptive and destructive is easy but doesn't get you into a real position of power.

I don't think anyone is ever going to be a superpower in the way you define it. Russia will probably be one of the last surviving organized countries on earth once the climate goes all to shit and has the resources to survive all foreign embargos and shit, maybe the life isn't to the standards of the wealthy west but it's their Russian Slav mentality thing, life is hard, they survive and are proud of it. China doesn't want to control the world through nukes and military bases (for now) because they see where that got Russia and the US (into the dumps), but through economy, although what happens once their bubble bursts is anyone's guess (i'm thinking total collapse of world economy as we know it and then finally RESOURCE WARS!!!1!). Self sustainability (Russia) and others depending on your economy (China) is the new super power, but not in the stupid way North Korea (former) and the US (latter) did it imho.

The US could dig itself out of this shit with just a couple of "simple" steps, such as dismantling its military industrial complex military interventionism globally and locally sorting out health insurance scam bullshit, minimum wages etc and providing laws that actually, you know, take care of its citizens, not politicians and corporations. But it's easier said than done with the way these are entrenched.

The problem a lot of us "Eurofags" and others around the world have with the US is we envision it as a single country. It really is not imho. It's huge and has a shitload of different people. It's a federation of 50+ states. It's basically the EU with an even worse administration (hard to believe), just most people speak English as their primary language. All the divides, nationalism, racism, deep differences in morale and society standards are still there on both sides of the Atlantic.
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; May 28 2020 at 03:03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post

he is right tho, China has taken over global economy and Russia is still there despite all attempts while the situation in the US is on the downward spiral with not a clear end in sight

inb4 resource wars
    Referring to the silly "you people in europe hoping for the us to fail" bit really.

Much like the UK and Brexit, fucking anything but that please. Sadly it's exactly how it's going. You'd ideally wish for the US to get its shit together and actually embrace some of their supposed ideals so they could actually be the force for good they claim to be. Of course reality is anything but, but you'd hope for at least an attempt. Went well down the drain tho.

Being disruptive and destructive is easy but doesn't get you into a real position of power.
    Confirming, pretty experienced there.