hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 228 of 303 FirstFirst ... 128178218225226227228229230231238278 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 6051

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    I think the weirdest thing about Brit culture is you guys have an entire culture around eating out at pub where its all this very homey and kinda boring stuff

I don't know anyone in the states who specifically goes out to a bar to eat some meatloaf and mashed potato, but ymmv
    Yeah but on the flip side in the UK (25+yr old) adults dont drink shots and get blackout drunk. And men are allowed to dance in clubs.

Also pub food is actually good in London. It's only shit up north
    We have Wetherspoons in the North as well you know.
    That's the problem.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    More Nazi goodness:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/h...nal-radio-show

But on Thursday last week, Larson offered something a little different to his thousands of listeners: A detailed plan on how to “slaughter” scores of left wing activists in their sleep.

The plan came from Shane Kohfield, who earlier this summer had his guns confiscated by the FBI and was briefly taken to a VA hospital after announcing a similar plan in front of the mayor of Portland’s house. Right Wing Watch flagged the interview on Monday.

The squads, he said, would be given a list of addresses of “the most violent antifa members” and would work “until every one of them was gone in every city in America, if need be, in a single well-coordinated night.”
    Larson pressed again: What would be the plan for antifa members found sleeping in their beds, who pose no immediate threat to anyone?

“Well, according to the plan, it would be kill,” Kohfield replied.

Larson ended the interview soon after, thanking Kohfield for his service and his time.
    I'm curious where these geniuses get these lists of Antifa members from.
    Twitter, mostly. Remember reading a post by an Antifa member who had Proud Boys (clad in body armor and motorcycle helmets) come to her home in Philly and mark it with stickers. They did the same to other people and the police did nothing.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Except 90% of the people you slap with the label "Liberals" dont actually agree with some or all of those "liberal" policies.

"Liberal" is used almost exclusively to refer to social liberals these days, not economic liberals.
    Shame they are all represented by political parties built around economic liberalism and excessive whining when a change in economic tack is suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I think the weirdest thing about Brit culture is you guys have an entire culture around eating out at pub where its all this very homey and kinda boring stuff

I don't know anyone in the states who specifically goes out to a bar to eat some meatloaf and mashed potato, but ymmv
    Yeah but on the flip side in the UK (25+yr old) adults dont drink shots and get blackout drunk. And men are allowed to dance in clubs.

Pub food is generally pretty awful imo. As in most pubs with food are the standard chain pub with a microwave and burger grill. Finding that nice home cooked pub place is a fucking treat though.
    +25s dont get blackout drunk on shots? In what Britain do you drink in?
    Meatloaf? In ENLAND? never once seen such abominations. Classic pub food would be pie and mash, or fish and chips, or sunday roast or whatever. But meatloaf?
    WTF is going on

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Pub food is generally pretty awful imo. As in most pubs with food are the standard chain pub with a microwave and burger grill. Finding that nice home cooked pub place is a fucking treat though.
    +25s dont get blackout drunk on shots? In what Britain do you drink in?
    Meatloaf? In ENLAND? never once seen such abominations. Classic pub food would be pie and mash, or fish and chips, or sunday roast or whatever. But meatloaf?
    WTF is going on
    Meatloaf and mash and gravy would be the US equivalent of Pie and Mash, probably. It's more of a diner thing than a pub thing though. My local pub makes great burgers and cheesesteaks, so, idk.
    meh

There's a growing trend of North London pubs seeming to come with a team of thai chefs operating out of a small cupboard. This seems to have started happening at some point over the past 5 years.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    There's a growing trend of North London pubs seeming to come with a team of thai chefs operating out of a small cupboard. This seems to have started happening at some point over the past 5 years.
    We can buy beer at the gas station, which normally has a taco truck. It’s more or less functionally the same thing.
    meh

Wether spoons food is cafeteria level at best. Lallante is basing his judgement on train station pubs
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c48171...n-honest-media

“I have no obligation to be truthful to the media because the media lies.”

Not sure how I feel about that take.

Do you believe people have an obligation to be honest to the media? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

Do you believe the media has an obligation to be honest to their consumers?

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Do you think it's reasonable to complain about fake news when you deliberately sow fake news yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Do you believe the media has an obligation to be honest to their consumers?
    Do you? Do you think the for-profit corporate media are honest?

Do you think it's reasonable to complain about fake news when you deliberately sow fake news yourself?
    I think very little done by Politicians is reasonable.

Now that those questions-in-response-to-a-question are out of the way, I'll ask again:

Does an individual have an obligation to be honest to an employee of say, CNN/Time Warner Corporation? Or, if you prefer, FOX News?

If so, why?

You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

The media has been unable to hold normal politicians accountable for lying.

They only really got their hackles up once the clowncar populism came into town

Media can't even hold itself accountable.

If they’re in a position of public trust, yes.

I don’t know that Lewandowski was ever in a position of public trust, but it doesn’t speak highly of his whole “I’m gonna run for Senate” thing.

It raises the issue of whether Trump’s various fluffers, despite not all of them being government employees, nevertheless are acting in a capacity of public trust.

This is why I said I’m not sure how I feel about that take. I don’t generally think people have a duty to be truthful to news media. But generally speaking, deceit is not a moral virtue, so who knows.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    When you speak to the media, you speak to the people who elected you by proxy. You should be truthful to the population when you are an elected official. If the media twists your words, so be it.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

I don’t know that Lewandowski was ever in a position of public trust, but it doesn’t speak highly of his whole “I’m gonna run for Senate” thing.

It raises the issue of whether Trump’s various fluffers, despite not all of them being government employees, nevertheless are acting in a capacity of public trust.

This is why I said I’m not sure how I feel about that take. I don’t generally think people have a duty to be truthful to news media. But generally speaking, deceit is not a moral virtue, so who knows.
    Cool, cool.

So when are we planning to start having people in public trust be required to be honest to the for-profit corporate media?

Because to-date, it's never actually happened. Every single politician in human history has been a liar to the media of the time when it suited them, and every elected official says things that are untrue for reasons, some good, some bad.

I mean, this current rabble just says the quiet part loud, as they say.

And just curious, but will this "moral virtue" thing also apply to the for-profit corporate media itself? Can we revoke their right be media if they lie too often?

Cool, cool.

So when are we planning to start having people in public trust be required to be honest to the for-profit corporate media?

Because to-date, it's never actually happened. Every single politician in human history has been a liar to the media of the time when it suited them, and every elected official says things that are untrue for reasons, some good, some bad.

And just curious, but will this "moral virtue" thing also apply to the for-profit corporate media itself? Can we revoke their right be media if they lie too often?
    We absolutely should have a truth doctrine. You can't call what you do news if you just make shit up. You have to call it entertainment.

Think about it like a labeling law.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Cool, cool.

We absolutely should have a truth doctrine. You can't call what you do news if you just make shit up. You have to call it entertainment.

Think about it like a labeling law.
    Great idea. How will we enforce it tho? Do you think we need a Truth Enforcement Agency, to you know, enforce the rules, revoke charters for media corporations, arrest public trust liars, etc?