hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 196 of 267 FirstFirst ... 96146186193194195196197198199206246 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 5332

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Reaching 100 percent renewable energy for electricity and transportation by no later than 2030 and complete decarbonization by 2050 at latest
    not happening, we do not have the technology and the US power-grid is not in a state to support this, it's taken almost 20 years to get our grid in a state to support such porportionally massive generation fluctuations.

i'd definitely vote for him after Trump annexes Denmark to get this Greenland real-estate deal tho.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Kind of weird this is going to be painted at wildly radical and too expensive in a country which routinely produces hundreds of tanks the military doesn't want and then buries them in a desert instead.
    I've given it a read. Sounds like it's going to cost me, personally, alot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Reaching 100 percent renewable energy for electricity and transportation by no later than 2030 and complete decarbonization by 2050 at latest
    not happening, we do not have the technology and the US power-grid is not in a state to support this, it's taken almost 20 years to get our grid in a state to support such porportionally massive generation fluctuations.

i'd definitely vote for him after Trump annexes Denmark to get this Greenland real-estate deal tho.
    Uhh, we have the technology to power the nation without carbon. Use uranium instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Uhh, we have the technology to power the nation without carbon. Use uranium instead.
    nuclear is not renewable tho.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Kind of weird this is going to be painted at wildly radical and too expensive in a country which routinely produces hundreds of tanks the military doesn't want and then buries them in a desert instead.
    I've given it a read. Sounds like it's going to cost me, personally, alot of money.
    Sure, but the real question is can you afford to shoulder that cost, personally, without tremendously impacting your current quality of life.

If you can answer that question honestly, there might be hope for the nation.

200 Years From Now: The Greener Green New Deal

We simply must end our dependence on the greedy Geothermal Energy Industry. Their sapping of Mother Earth's internal heat is causing a cooling crust, damaging tectonic movements, causing untold damage in Earthquakes and damaging the Earth magnetic field.

We have only 11 years to convert everyone away from this destructive energy source! We must act now!

(Yes, just kidding).

You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

And? depending on the reactor and extraction process there is a shitton of uranium to be had. personally i would prefer that than melting every july.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post

And? depending on the reactor and extraction process there is a shitton of uranium to be had. personally i would prefer that than melting every july.
    the text is explicitly calling for renewables Zeekar.
    Viking, n.:

the text is explicitly calling for renewables Zeekar.
    fine. use nuclear until you can figure out how to power everything with renewables. or until we figure out fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Sure, a few like to be rude and call me "Nazi".
    I've never directly called you a nazi, for the record, unless I was super drunk and don't remember.

I speak about classes of people very specifically.

I don't think you are one either. I've said as much. Why would you think my opinion has changed?
    That comment wasn't aimed at you Erich.
    Nobody else did either unless it was an obvious joke.

Plenty other words though.

lol try anything besides the northernmost parts of America

Just ball-soup from May to Aug thanks to the humidity and the concrete jungle effect

Hopefully shorts and linen shirts take off instead of people sweating their asses off in business casual

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

lol try anything besides the northernmost parts of America

Just ball-soup from May to Aug thanks to the humidity and the concrete jungle effect

Hopefully shorts and linen shirts take off instead of people sweating their asses off in business casual
    july and avgust are retarded here. i've fucked off to the mountains last week and i think ill be repeating this now every year. 5C in the morning and 22 during the day. awwww yeaaaah.

july and avgust are retarded here
    lmao you have absolutely no idea, slovenia is positively heavenly in the summer compared to many places

It defers the problem for a few centuries though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

nowhere am i saying its bad, and should not be used to displace fossil fuels, but the assumption that we can magic up renewables to replace existing capacity 1-to-1 has got to fucking die.
    Viking, n.:

nowhere am i saying its bad, and should not be used to displace fossil fuels, but the assumption that we can magic up renewables to replace existing capacity 1-to-1 has got to fucking die.
    Well I think the point is that we'll have some sort of magic up our sleeve in 100 years

Decarbonizing the current grid and coaxing people to consume less (America esp) is entirely within our reach and it'll at least push the disaster back until more options are available.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

Well I think the point is that we'll have some sort of magic up our sleeve in 100 years

Decarbonizing the current grid and coaxing people to consume less (America esp) is entirely within our reach and it'll at least push the disaster back until more options are available.
    but it's not happening with 100% renewable energy, that's my point.

we're going to have to deal with the fact it's nuclear or mad max and start looking at the consequences of that, and get the public on board.

ideally nuclear well away from the private sector, because the consequences of running a nuclear plant into the ground is pretty fucking dire.
    Viking, n.:

This is where I blame the hippie boomers for poisoning that well.

They didn't try to understand the technology or propose alternative ways to handle it, just screamed until the public backed away from nuclear power

If you're going to be autistic about it...

1) That’s what breeder reactors are for.

2) Even if we didn’t use breeder reactors, the timescale for running out of fission fuel is long enough that by the time peak uranium is a concern, we’ve got the pure renewables (or god forbid a working fusion reactor).

It’s just not a compelling argument against nuclear power.