hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 295 of 322 FirstFirst ... 195245285292293294295296297298305 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,900 of 6431

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

  1. #5881
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,583
    [QUOTE=Keckers;1871076]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Capitalism ruined most things.
    And the solution is......oh, right.
    Trying something else less exploitative and more sustainable. Which you aren't capable of discussing in good faith. You don't even know how money works.

    Lol, ok kiddo.

    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

  2. #5882
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,574
    [QUOTE=Alistair;1871080]
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Capitalism ruined most things.
    And the solution is......oh, right.
    Trying something else less exploitative and more sustainable. Which you aren't capable of discussing in good faith. You don't even know how money works.

    Lol, ok kiddo.
    Ageism is offensive, yes/know? Or is it worse if it is a meme?

    Edit: quoting your broken quote broke my quote, damn it.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  3. #5883
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    19,778
    Move over gramps. A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  4. #5884
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    So hypothetically a state couldn’t QE to the point where its currency was valueless, effectively running out?
    That’s hyperinflation, right? So yes. That’d count. Making your currency valueless is functionally the same as running out; you lose the ability to direct economic activity without resort to more old-fashioned means of getting people to do things for you. And as tulip pointed out, you’d have a very hard time getting anything from abroad.

    This can be avoided through application of a progressive tax system. In fact I’d posit that the shape of your effective tax curve is closely related to how far away from 1:1 tax/spend ratio you can get before things get fucky.

  5. #5885
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    So hypothetically a state couldn’t QE to the point where its currency was valueless, effectively running out?
    That’s hyperinflation, right? So yes. That’d count. Making your currency valueless is functionally the same as running out; you lose the ability to direct economic activity without resort to more old-fashioned means of getting people to do things for you. And as tulip pointed out, you’d have a very hard time getting anything from abroad.

    This can be avoided through application of a progressive tax system. In fact I’d posit that the shape of your effective tax curve is closely related to how far away from 1:1 tax/spend ratio you can get before things get fucky.
    So to return to your point, a state can in actuality effectively run out of money.

  6. #5886
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    So hypothetically a state couldn’t QE to the point where its currency was valueless, effectively running out?
    That’s hyperinflation, right? So yes. That’d count. Making your currency valueless is functionally the same as running out; you lose the ability to direct economic activity without resort to more old-fashioned means of getting people to do things for you. And as tulip pointed out, you’d have a very hard time getting anything from abroad.

    This can be avoided through application of a progressive tax system. In fact I’d posit that the shape of your effective tax curve is closely related to how far away from 1:1 tax/spend ratio you can get before things get fucky.
    So to return to your point, a state can in actuality effectively run out of money.
    US is to a point somewhat exempt from this, because its the reserve currency of the world (There an almost unlimited demand for it´s bonds).

  7. #5887
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    13,750
    much like the EU is exceptionally susceptible because because a bunch of technocratic dickweeds handed money creation authority over to the ECB who have been busy fellating over how awesome they think they are and signed everybody up to a economic suicide pact, giving you a full-on lost decade post 2008, and possibly two in parts of the union, and a currency policy engineered in such a way it's assured to make everything worse as the amount of spending space governments have has been massively decreased, limiting, if not outright removing their ability to respond beyond exceptional circumstances, like say when Deutche Bank eventually goes belly up. leading to welfare for banks and corporations, not for people.

    as an aside, today, in the west, basically everybody below the upper 10% income brackets are either low-debt or flat out debt-holders, if you wanted to actually up consumption any, you'd inflate the currency on purpose in order to devalue said debt and free up economic "space" for said consumption, fucking over the debt-holders in the process. especially considering just how much of that debt are tied up in fixed assets like houses that are simply going to appriciate in value alongside, it's a fairly short term thing as interests are liable to climb along with the inflation increase however. (and this kids, is why you keep your debt in fixed rate loans, as much as possible)
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  8. #5888
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,928
    The ECB is just an awful institution and even the Fed guys who laughed at the unemployed struggle to compete with their callousness

  9. #5889
    Varcaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15, 2011
    Posts
    21,008
    Alistair getting triggered by ok boomer is peak boomer

  10. #5890

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

    "Those people" stereotyping ftw.

    Hating Boomers is as dumb as hating Millennials. They are not unified homogeneous groups of single-minded people. Using the rhetoric of dehumanization is never the right call.

    Every new generation thinks it has all the answers, and that the generation(s) before them "fucked it all up". It's as constant a thing as death and taxes.
    Yet funnily you never had any trouble doing any of that yourself. Only now it's an issue when people dare use it back at your 'superior' ass.

    Abloobloo.

  11. #5891
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,928
    There's like a million Alistair posts with some extremely snide insult about someone's age lol

  12. #5892
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Move over gramps. A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

  13. #5893

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,983
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    There's like a million Alistair posts with some extremely snide insult about someone's age lol
    Nah, only little under 15 thousand such posts at the time of writing this.

  14. #5894
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,928

  15. #5895
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,484
    still better than hillary

  16. #5896
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    10,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Alistair getting triggered by ok boomer is peak boomer
    k boomer

  17. #5897
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,008
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    The change America needs deserves.

  18. #5898

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Alistair getting triggered by ok boomer is peak boomer
    k boomer
    I'll go againt the grain here and say that defining a new insult isn't a good thing to stand behind honestly.

    I am way behind the sentiment of fighting against the mentality that we as a society are defining as boomer mentality, but insulting people isn't the right way of going about it.

    In my book, action for this is way more to get implicated, advocate and generate change in society effectively sidelining the people who think that way. You change mind with actions, not words.

  19. #5899
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,008
    The fact that it’s deployed against people of any age should indicate that it’s about a mentality.

  20. #5900
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    The fact that it’s deployed against people of any age should indicate that it’s about a mentality.
    Or meaningless.
    meh

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •