hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 222 of 495 FirstFirst ... 122172212219220221222223224225232272322 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,440 of 9881

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

I was throwing out a writing prompt.

A weirdly post modern take on the legitimacy of a weather alert. How do you think meteorology operates as a science? There's a difference between drawing a fake tornado range on a map in order to cover up a senior moment as president and getting a forecast wrong. Or is there? What is objective reality? Maybe the president should designate weather alerts through executive order.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I was throwing out a writing prompt.

A weirdly post modern take on the legitimacy of a weather alert. How do you think meteorology operates as a science? There's a difference between drawing a fake tornado range on a map in order to cover up a senior moment as president and getting a forecast wrong. Or is there? What is objective reality? Maybe the president should designate weather alerts through executive order.
    Ok, so this IS all about the Alabama map "scandal".

There is no defense for it. Period, end stop.

With that said, I see no reason to debate it as if it was representative of weather reporting or warnings issuance, or involved anything other than an obvious Trump-being-Trump moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    ITT: the hopelessly naive discuss freedom of the press with the deeply cynical ...
    Actually, I was just leading the usual Commie Crew to their usual "what-us-totalitarians?" endpoint, where we wind up with a state-run truth and any deviation is punishable under the law.

But thanks for fucking it all up.
    Tell me how you feel about the law that makes it a crime to misreport the weather. Clearly this is communist totalitarianism, right?
    I think the idea of criminalizing "misreporting" the weather to be patently ridiculous.
    v0v i think stuff that can have a serious affect on people - particularly misreporting the weather during a fairly serious storm should be a crime. it can have real impact.
    Is there an actual example of this to cite? Where some weatherman consciously, knowingly, "misreported the weather" and harmed people? Because it sounds like something thats never happened to me.

Again, if we're STILL talking about the Trump Alabama Hurricane Map, that may in fact be the most overblown, silly, stupid story of all time. And it most certainly didn't harm anyone. That's not a defense of stupid ass Trump, but more a eyeroll at people who think that was a meaningful story.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Currently, US "Scientists" are being instructed, and are on behalf of, an anti American, treasonous regime to lie to the citizens of the United States of America in the face of undeniable proof of damaging climate change.
    Which is why we have whistle-blower statues and protections. But that is not "misreporting the weather", that's climate science. Not the same thing.

We're also now talking about Government staff, who do have requirements and responsibilities to be factual (albeit not necc. only to the media per se). Politicians =/= Govt. Bureaucrats, obviously. The first are never honest, the second are required to be when reporting factual items to the public (with some exceptions for the military, obviously).
    While we are drastically changing the face of American society by banning guns without finger locks and moving our welfare spending from the military to the people, I don’t think it’s a big stretch to start requiring accountability from our “news”.

I’d start taxing churches at the same time, but there are a lot of dumb, brainwashed people out there...
    Indeed, I have no problem wanting honesty and objectivity and facts from news. Best of luck getting that cooked into a law that doesn't contravene the Bill of Rights.

I'm also perfectly fine (supportive even) of taxing religious institutions AND so-called non-profits. Everyone should in fact pay their fare share.
    You can say anything you want (except the existing cutouts), but there are penalties for misrepresenting untruths as facts or the news. As I said, its a labeling law. You'll notice corporations also don't want those.
    meh

ITT: the hopelessly naive discuss freedom of the press with the deeply cynical ...
    Actually, I was just leading the usual Commie Crew to their usual "what-us-totalitarians?" endpoint, where we wind up with a state-run truth and any deviation is punishable under the law.

I didn't fuck it up, you just gave the plot away for no reason ...
    I mean it was a pretty threadbare plot in any case, because Alistair has internalised the idea that everyone's entitled to not just their own interpretation of reality, but their own facts too. Or to put it another way, he's trying to conflate the idea of truthfulness with received Truth.

One can easily envisage the idea of a regulatory body that requires a media company to give the same prominence to retractions of falsehood or incorrect information as to the original error, for example. Much Stalinism! Such Newthink! Wow!

Of course, truthfulness is a partisan issue now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Will you believe the presidential weather report next time?
    Your whole post was lol, but this line, this line was a milk-back-out-nose lolzer.

I don't know about you, but clearly, alabamaweathermapgate is the real impeachable offense. Where can I get my torch and pitchfork?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

I mean it was a pretty threadbare plot in any case,
    In fairness, it doesn't take much to get Commie to eagerly engage in their more totalitarian proclivities.

Suuuuure it is, I hear Democrats are always 100% truthful and never, ever lie. Partisan Issue!

Tell me who exactly here is a “commie,” again?

Will you believe the presidential weather report next time?
    Your whole post was lol, but this line, this line was a milk-back-out-nose lolzer.

I don't know about you, but clearly, alabamaweathermapgate is the real impeachable offense. Where can I get my torch and pitchfork?
    Way to blow the argument out of proportion.

The weather map thing was simply offered as an example of a law requiring public officials to be truthful, after you suggested that laws requiring the state to declare the truth were “commie totalitarianism” or something like that. Nothing more, nothing less. No one has suggested that Trump’s conduct vis-a-vis that Law was remarkably egregious for him, or the “real reason to impeach.” It was just a handy, topical referent for an example of statues requiring the state to promulgate the truth and imposing a penalty for lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

I mean it was a pretty threadbare plot in any case,
    In fairness, it doesn't take much to get Commie to eagerly engage in their more totalitarian proclivities.

Suuuuure it is, I hear Democrats are always 100% truthful and never, ever lie. Partisan Issue!
    Mhmm, as claimed by whom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Is Alastair playing devils advocate trolling, or is he really trying to make the case for 2019 Trump/Republican moral equivalence with the 2019 Dems?

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Is Alastair playing devils advocate trolling, or is he really trying to make the case for 2019 Trump/Republican moral equivalence with the 2019 Dems?
    Yes

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    I am wondering if Sharpiegate was Cheeto Dust's attempt to declare Alabama a federal disaster zone, so he could redistribute wealth reallocate funds from Puerto Rico to Alabama. The excuse would be "We've spent so much on Puerto Rico, they've totally wasted it, they didn't get hit by this particular hurricane, they're not even a state, they didn't vote for me, etc."

A poor attempt at red state welfare, really.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Red states already get all the welfare.

“Expecting us not to lie infringes on our freedom”

- The GOP, as channeled by Alistair, probably...
    meh

om nom nom says the hungry brain worm

If you want proof of how close centrist Democratic and Republican's are in thought, Barth and Alistair are having an amazing circle jerk in this thread, the sexual tension is so high I almost feel like they are including me when I'm just reading in horror.

Peak enlightened centrism
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Pathetic.

US politics thread for Barth is just him, Alistair, and a couple of others who haven't pointed out how massively full of shit he is.

Gonna say it again, feel really bad for his students.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    US politics thread for Barth is just him, Alistair, and a couple of others who haven't pointed out how massively full of shit he is.

Gonna say it again, feel really bad for his students.
    Well, we can tell he’s probably provided a pretty robust safe space for them.
    meh