hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 335 of 434 FirstFirst ... 235285325332333334335336337338345385 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,700 of 8665

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Lacks option that will be realistically picked by dem establishment.

Bernie: this is what im doing now as a congressman, in plain language
    Warren: this is what i will do if prez, with a load of gibberish

:thonk:

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Lacks option that will be realistically picked by dem establishment.
    Very savvy and original commentary

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Bernie: this is what im doing now as a congressman, in plain language
    Warren: this is what i will do if prez, with a load of gibberish

:thonk:
    She would be better if she thought a little less like an academic

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

So where on a scale of Peterson (an insufferable academic who's ideas have disappeared up his own arse) to Trump (offensively ignorant and non academic)?
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

So where on a scale of Peterson (an insufferable academic who's ideas have disappeared up his own arse) to Trump (offensively ignorant and non academic)?
    I think Warren has plenty of sensible policy proposals. I don’t think a bit of academic approach is out of line. But there’s a point where technocratic lightweighting of policy ends up defeating the purpose; sometimes the most efficient option is not the correct option, and some things require a pretty simple “nope!” approach. Being able to recognize those situations is important, and I think Bernie is better at that than Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post

Can you give me an example of where Bernie is/was better at that than Warren is/was?
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

I think Warren has plenty of sensible policy proposals. I don’t think a bit of academic approach is out of line. But there’s a point where technocratic lightweighting of policy ends up defeating the purpose; sometimes the most efficient option is not the correct option, and some things require a pretty simple “nope!” approach. Being able to recognize those situations is important, and I think Bernie is better at that than Warren.
    Bernie, no question, is the most honest acting politician I've seen since Mandela. I'm not equating them, other than a "you get what you heard" approach to it.

Liz would be fine as POTUS, but she does come off as condescending.
    meh

Bernie makes moral arguments for why things should or should not be.

As Lach says her arguments and worldview are more technocratic in nature (how do we make this work, make it more efficient, less dangerous etc). In cases like facial recognition, I don't think there's any situation where the technology is not incredibly dangerous for civil rights and democracy. Making oversight commissions and lots of rules will not change that

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Living somewhere for two years isn’t emigration. It’s just a visa stay.

What did the relative who went to Thailand do for a living?
    Small town woodworker and school janitor for decades. Had PTSD from Vietnam, saw his childhood friend die. Awarded three Purple Hearts. Was convinced by a old friend to go back to SE Asia on vacation as things have changed over the decades. Went there, found the weather was far more agreeable to his body than the Minnesota winters, and the cost of living was far lower. So he moved there. Met a woman, got married, has a daughter now. The immigration process for his family is far more complicated than his own emigration, which is why he will spend his remaining years in Thailand.

Honestly, his life is much better now than when I knew him as a kid/teen.
    Last edited by Nordstern; January 22 2020 at 04:15:45 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

One thing ive noticed in the past few days is that the Senate impeachment trial is flying under the radar. It should be the most important frontpage news, but instead i see either zero or full about Trumps shitty lawyers or which senator is there paying attention and which is napping.

Internet cynicism or media blackout? That happens when one side screams "fake news nothingburger" and the other "sham trial party line acquittal is foregone conclusion"... it doesnt seem to be taken seriously, and that is almost worse for the institutions.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; January 22 2020 at 04:42:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    One thing ive noticed in that past few days is that the Senate impeachment trial is flying under the radar. It should be the most important frontpage news, but instead i see either zero or full about Trumps shitty lawyers or which senator is the paying attention and which is napping.

Internet cynicism or media blackout? That happens when one side screams "fake news nothingburger" and the other "sham trial party line acquittal is foregone conclusion"... it doesnt seem to be taken seriously, and that is almost worse for the institutions.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    One thing ive noticed in the past few days is that the Senate impeachment trial is flying under the radar.
    It's been front and centre in the Guardian and BBC news.

Disagree. Why ban facial recognition at the border?

a blanket ban of facial recog for official purposes is daft. it's one of the only ways to, for example, effectively prevent smuggling in prisons, but then equally so is tinkering about at the margins with the morality and biases of algorithms.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    it's one of the only ways to, for example, effectively prevent smuggling in prisons,
    Don't care

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    it's one of the only ways to, for example, effectively prevent smuggling in prisons,
    Don't care
    +1

Borders and prisons have bigger problems. Ones that can be solved without introducing draconian monitoring systems that will be used against innocent people

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

making the leap from "checking someone's face to see if they've been blagging their way into every establishment in the country on a series of stolen IDs" to "papers please" is what we call the slippery fucking slope and is just as dumb as declaring something must be banned for all uses because it is inherently evil.

idk, you won't really find many fans of it here in SillyCon Valley. Except Zucks, and he probably is evil.

So no, ban it.
    meh

idk, you won't really find many fans of it here in SillyCon Valley. Except Zucks, and he probably is evil.

So no, ban it.
    I'd actually propose the opposite ban - it should be prohibited in all commercial scenarios.

I'd also want to tweak the scope. For example facial recognition that answers the question "Is this face the face of some specific person I have been tasked with looking for?" or asks "Is this a face I have seen before?" is completely different from the Thiel-esque "Who the fuck is this person and tell me everything about their life" that currently has everyone's knickers in a collective twist. Banning those former two types to stop Peter Thiel being an evil motherfucker isn't going to achieve any of the outcomes people want. The government is still going to be able to stalk you at a whim, and Peter Thiel is still going to be an evil motherfucker.