Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 3737

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    I, for one, for the US, have a plan involving the peace corps and obligatory national service to deal that side of the coin, BTW.

I doubt anyone here will want to hear about it.
    National service programs are pointlessly annoying. While you are building and paying for an infrastructure to process, babysit and direct millions of kids each year, you could have free college tuition or a jobs program instead.

It also annoys me from a moral point of view because we already have pushed adulthood back to like 25-26 years old. Between the debts, internships, entry level hell and the already obnoxious level of volunteerism in our society, kids these days already have enough hoops to jump through.

I would like to see a national service that streamlines the path to adulthood. No debts, no additional volunteering, and job placement. Buttigieg's plan only offers student debt "relief" lol
    I second this. I've got two American associates in my department that are in their early 30s, when I considered that they needed to go to grad school (completely unnecessary for a legal education) I stopped thinking it was weird.
    Yeah inflation of credentials is a good catch. You probably have to make a bullet pointed list for all of the headwinds that people have to deal with
    People that went to grad school will easily have more than a million or two in earning potential over their career than someone who didn't.

I've encountered more than my share of retarded grad students over the years, but this is a fact.
    You're thinking of a masters as an "extra" or "add-on"

I'm thinking of it as a requirement for a decent living, especially in fields outside of tech & FIRE

If you can even find a job in counselling, education, and creatives with only a bachelors, the pay will be complete dogshit
    idk about education. Most of my teacher friends are paid like shit and you can blame that on politicians, but in the business world, you earn more as a grad.

I don't see it as a requirement for a decent living, but that's on the individual.
    meh

Meanwhile...

https://www.courthousenews.com/prose...d-under-trump/

Beneath that gloomy surface, however, an even darker picture emerges: federal prosecutions of those who trafficked children for sex dropped 26.7% over the last year.

The startling numbers appeared Tuesday in a report from the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University.

“If the present pace of such prosecutions continues, the fiscal 2019 total will be 162, compared to 221 last year,” TRAC’s report states.

The Obama administration dramatically ramped up such prosecutions, climbing threefold from 85 cases in 2009, the year the 44th president took office, to more than 260 during his final year in the White House.

While those prosecutions held steady in the first year under President Donald Trump, TRAC’s analysis of Justice Department data says they have taken a dramatic plunge every year since.

“Compared to five years ago, the estimate of FY 2019 prosecutions of this type is down 32.2 percent, from 239,” the study says. “However, prosecutions over the past year are still much higher than they were ten years ago, up 90.6 percent from the 85 reported in 2009.”

TRAC obtained the data under the Freedom of Information Act.
    There goes the Grand O'l Pedophile party again. Making it easier to fuck children. Of course, a racist president is much more palatable to the base than a child rapist president. Desirable, even.

:thinking:
    The moral sunk cost of being a trumpanzee at this stage is now so great that they'll handwave away pretty much anything. He'd need to literally give Mrs Clinton anilingus on the front steps of the white house at this point. Even then, I'm not sure that'd do it. I think they'd probably disbelieve their own eyes rather than admit that they made a mistake of that colossal magnitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

idk about education. Most of my teacher friends are paid like shit and you can blame that on politicians, but in the business world, you earn more as a grad.

I don't see it as a requirement for a decent living, but that's on the individual.
    Well that's because you work in tech.

Tech is truly the slackers field if you think about it.

I basically only did the coursework in my decent but not amazing school and was handed a job after graduating. Minimal networking, bullshit resume padding etc

My other friends and classmates have had to be overachieving little keeners to move up into a role that has decent pay. If you have something like psych/law/marketing degree, and you don't do that, then its min wage work for you

Tech is truly the slackers field if you think about it.

Minimal networking
    The best programmers are motivated by laziness, it’s true.

That said, you will need to network as you go up the ladder, same as everywhere else.
    meh

I, for one, for the US, have a plan involving the peace corps and obligatory national service to deal that side of the coin, BTW.

National service programs are pointlessly annoying. While you are building and paying for an infrastructure to process, babysit and direct millions of kids each year, you could have free college tuition or a jobs program instead.

It also annoys me from a moral point of view because we already have pushed adulthood back to like 25-26 years old. Between the debts, internships, entry level hell and the already obnoxious level of volunteerism in our society, kids these days already have enough hoops to jump through.

I would like to see a national service that streamlines the path to adulthood. No debts, no additional volunteering, and job placement. Buttigieg's plan only offers student debt "relief" lol
    I second this. I've got two American associates in my department that are in their early 30s, when I considered that they needed to go to grad school (completely unnecessary for a legal education) I stopped thinking it was weird.
    Yeah inflation of credentials is a good catch. You probably have to make a bullet pointed list for all of the headwinds that people have to deal with
    People that went to grad school will easily have more than a million or two in earning potential over their career than someone who didn't.

I've encountered more than my share of retarded grad students over the years, but this is a fact.
    Not for law, it's completely unnecessary. Ditto for BB IB analysts.

Don't get me started on your major/minor undergrad system, i'll have a fit.

Incidentally, i hate jet lag and can't sleep - i really don't need to have that fit!

Incidentally, i hate jet lag and can't sleep - i really don't need to have that fit!
    Clarify? Dunno about the UK with your crazy split profession, but the industry here in the US is weird. But there are still good jobs to be had, just not quite as easy to find as they were a decade ago.

While it might be unnecessary, going to a good grad school still directly equates with higher earning potential.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Clarify? Dunno about the UK with your crazy split profession, but the industry here in the US is weird. But there are still good jobs to be had, just not quite as easy to find as they were a decade ago.
    Americans come out as fully-fledged associates, with all of the debt and little of the practical know-how for transactional work.

UK lawyers - and many on the continent, for that matter - spend two years as trainees at firms following an undergrad: less debt, much younger, more practical experience.

I'm not disputing the availability of work, just that forcing people to go through grad school for a JD is completely unnecessary.

While it might be unnecessary, going to a good grad school still directly equates with higher earning potential.
    That's cool, it's still unnecessary and isn't true outside of America. This really pertains to a broader discussion on how America views its undergrad/school education system; see my above points on majors/minors. You'll note that I was replying to Mewninn's point.

fwiw, we regularly second people to NY who have qualified in London and they end up supervising American associates 5-6 years older than them. One wonders if you could streamline the entire educational process to cut out grad school, and the consequential debt attending it incurs, completely.

Simply reading that gave me mild anxiety and reminded me of assessment centres, watson glaser tests and partner interviews. Respect to you for going through all that.

It's very competitive in the UK but firms - large transactional, so roughly 50 - will fund your training/living completely.

That's cool, it's still unnecessary and isn't true outside of America. This really pertains to a broader discussion on how America views its undergrad/school education system; see my above points on majors/minors. You'll note that I was replying to Mewninn's point.

fwiw, we regularly second people to NY who have qualified in London and they end up supervising American associates 5-6 years older than them. One wonders if you could streamline the entire educational process to cut out grad school, and the consequential debt attending it incurs, completely.
    Who would profit from that, though?
    meh

Who would profit from that, though?
    Touché.

Simply reading that gave me mild anxiety and reminded me of assessment centres, watson glaser tests and partner interviews. Respect to you for going through all that.

It's very competitive in the UK but firms - large transactional, so roughly 50 - will fund your training/living completely.
    Yes, but then you’re a transactional lawyer, and thus a blunt tool of capital.

Litigation at least tends to be more about taking from capital, whether in the form of judgments or fees. Like, my clients are all involved in disputes over capital that, in the grand scheme of things, are meaningless, but they still have to pay lawyers to resolve them. As someone who resolves disputes, I’m a few steps removed along the whole “complicit in neoliberal decay” chain from the poor people who negotiated the deals I’m cleaning up.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...-secretary-64/

US kicks Turkey out of the F-35 program.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

NATO kick in 3,2,1?

We haven’t used the term client state for a bit. Maybe it’ll make a comeback...
    meh

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post

NATO kick in 3,2,1?
    I think Europe would prefer Russia not deploy anti-ship missile systems in western Turkey. So, no kick.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post

NATO kick in 3,2,1?
    I think Europe would prefer Russia not deploy anti-ship missile systems in western Turkey. So, no kick.
    How they gonna afford it with economy in ruins?