hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 504 of 552 FirstFirst ... 4404454494501502503504505506507514 ... LastLast
Results 10,061 to 10,080 of 11032

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

How many countries actually prevent prisoners from voting? I know that we allow our prisoners to vote.

https://felonvoting.procon.org/inter...n-voting-laws/

28/45. But only 4/45 ban voting once released.

I honestly have no issue with disenfranchising people in jail. Jail is a system for stripping rights from people as, in part, punishment for transgressions. I do have an issue with permanently stripping the right once time has been served.
    Last edited by Kai; May 30 2020 at 10:44:06 AM.

Yeah if you're going to start addressing the right to vote for prisoners you might as well start a whole conversation on the role of the prison system in society and the ethics of the state withholding rights in general based on criminal activity.

I do think prisoners should be able to vote but there are bigger problems to address with prisoner's rights first.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Yeah if you're going to start addressing the right to vote for prisoners you might as well start a whole conversation on the role of the prison system in society and the ethics of the state withholding rights in general based on criminal activity.

I do think prisoners should be able to vote but there are bigger problems to address with prisoner's rights first.
    Basically what I was going to say, put much better. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Marlona Sky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    If you’re healthy enough to go riot and burn down your neighborhood, you can go stand in line to vote.
    Who do you vote for to have police held accountable for cold blooded murder?
    If you're serious, a new mayor. They appoint the chief of police who of course dictates how the department runs. Minnesota has a Democrat governor, the city of Minneapolis, has a Democrat mayor, who of course appointed a Democrat chief of police.

You seeing a pattern yet?

And if you really want to make sure this shit don’t happen, you make sure the citizens are just as armed as the government. That piece of shit cop would not have murdered that man if people were armed.
    yeah, the problem with that is one is protected by law for shooting an armed man, the other one isn't. A lot depends on who has the badge/uniform. Don't make me post that Monty Python clip again.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    How many countries actually prevent prisoners from voting? I know that we allow our prisoners to vote.
    We ban for two to five years those convicted of treason, high treason, voter suppression and election fraud from voting.

If you're convicted to jail for a year or longer, you can't be electedfor five years.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

How sensible.

In any event, from a realpolitik perspective, it will be curious to see how felons’ restored right to vote in Florida will impact the presidential election; Florida is a key state, but will these folks vote? And if so, how?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    If you’re healthy enough to go riot and burn down your neighborhood, you can go stand in line to vote.
    Who do you vote for to have police held accountable for cold blooded murder?
    If you're serious, a new mayor. They appoint the chief of police who of course dictates how the department runs. Minnesota has a Democrat governor, the city of Minneapolis, has a Democrat mayor, who of course appointed a Democrat chief of police.

You seeing a pattern yet?

And if you really want to make sure this shit don’t happen, you make sure the citizens are just as armed as the government. That piece of shit cop would not have murdered that man if people were armed.
    Or maybe all the Klan Klub PDs around the country need to burned to the ground with the racist bacon inside and built back up from non racist, competent, professional people instead of a bunch of psychotic bouncer cunts with badges and a license to kill black people with no repercussions.

I do agree with you about arming though. I think we really need to get a chartiy going that arms minority communities in the south in this country.

We can call it AR-15s against racism.

Weapons and squad level training for minorities everywhere in the US.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; May 30 2020 at 02:40:04 PM.
    meh

Colorado sends out mail in ballots to all registered voters, been that way a few years. Seems fine.

All public health orders have been from the governor or local authorities, the legislature wasn't even in session until recently.

I'll note that when the state legislature reopened with social distancing in place, only half the Republicans wore masks (and a couple days later, the building got shot at during protests).
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Colorado sends out mail in ballots to all registered voters, been that way a few years. Seems fine.

All public health orders have been from the governor or local authorities, the legislature wasn't even in session until recently.

I'll note that when the state legislature reopened with social distancing in place, only half the Republicans wore masks (and a couple days later, the building got shot at during protests).
    This is fine.
    meh

My question for states that send out 'mail in ballots':

My county in my state (Kansas) sent out applications for mail in ballots, but that is not quite the same as sending out ballots.
    Those that are commenting about their experiences, are your states sending out actual ballots with return envelopes/etc? Are there laws about signatures/etc? (Kansas requires a signature on file to match to the mail in ballot when the canvas occurs).

There was a huge blowback online when the county announced it was sending out applications (similar to how the commander in chief has been acting) and most reasonable people that joined the conversation understood the difference between an application and an actual ballot. I'm just glad I don't live a state over in Missouri where they have neither advanced voting nor convenient mail in ballots.

In Colorado it is actual ballots. There are public drop off boxes in front of rec centers, libraries, and post offices, that sort of thing. Not sure if they come with return postage, because I always drop it off in a box to be sure.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

In fact my mail in ballot booklet (not the ballot itself) has a proof of address thing on it I have to bring with me if I do actually want to go to the County Registrar, or my local library, for about 2 weeks prior to Election Day, or at my local voting place, which is a nice pleasant walk about 2 blocks to a local community hall where I can cast my ballot, either by using the one mailed to me, or taking a fresh one, should I so choose, and returning it. I can then take the bar code on my ballot and track, online, exactly what my vote was record as, through the receipt I can take (If I want) from the ballot. I could also just post it in, if I wanted to, anytime after I get it, up to post marked day of.

This is how my county makes it increasingly easy to vote. Maybe this is why republicans can only win less than 20% of the vote here.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Yeah, too many still see prisons as mostly just cruel punishment regimes that is supposed to be really really unpleasant, and feel like ex-cons shouldn't have any way of integrating back to society. Does wonders on that rate of re-offenders.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Watch out for drones Brother.

Bismillah!
    meh

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You, me, and a third of America.

inb4 "i am antifa" "no, i am antifa"
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

does that mean i get a "you're now on the watchlist" letter ?

because i want to frame it and hang it up if i do.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

it would be lol if it the whole story wasn't tragic
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Biden's in one of the best positions for any challenger since scientific polling began

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/31/polit...ion/index.html