hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 499 of 560 FirstFirst ... 399449489496497498499500501502509549 ... LastLast
Results 9,961 to 9,980 of 11194

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    I think everyone was clamouring for the US to get it’s act together and live up to the amazing potential there is with a massive country with massive resources and massive cultural influence.

This isn’t the way to do it ‘Murica!
    Well, we fucked it up.

But no fear, I am sure our old friends in Europe will do swimmingly in the new future world dominated by China and Russia.

Best of luck, don't be twats like we were.
    Any particular reason you're again making stuff up?
    Hey look everyone, Isy realized that predictions are "making stuff up that haven't happened yet".

Lets all give Isy a round of applause for his rare use of critical thinking!

Yay Isy! You're so smart!

Here is your well earned cookie:

Spoiler:

Well.......FHC's Euros wanted to see America burn and knocked down a peg or six
    Just quoted the newer post cause it had the same energy.

Maybe you could also read what has been posted since.

Removed. Rightfully infracted.

I apologize Isy, while I clearly do not like you in any form, my post was rude, immature and inappropriate.

And now it's removed.
    Last edited by Alistair; May 29 2020 at 02:36:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Well.......FHC's Euros wanted to see America burn and knocked down a peg or six, looks like you're getting your wish.
    Very few wanted this. I for one wanted the US to the proper land of opportunity, where everyone can achieve their dreams, limited only by their skills and ambition. But it seems along the way it turned into land of indentured servitude and debt slavery with an oligarchic upper class hoarding all the wealth while flirting with fascism and stirring racial tensions. It's not a unique trajectory and the same trends are seen elsewhere, but the US is/was the best hope for a non-autocratic model of government.

Now we're left with impotent Russia, China with their literal concentration camps, or feeble EU that has members who seem hell bent on giving a big fuck you to democracy and human rights (hello Orban). So yeah, it's not really looking good, especially with climate change looming ahead. So I'm hedging my bets on total fucking panic, dead people, and bullshit.
    Turned into? Nah mate, this all just revealed what has always been the case.

Maybe you could just eat shit and fuck off.
    When cornered, the animal will hiss and snarl.

Very few wanted this. I for one wanted the US to the proper land of opportunity, where everyone can achieve their dreams, limited only by their skills and ambition. But it seems along the way it turned into land of indentured servitude and debt slavery with an oligarchic upper class hoarding all the wealth while flirting with fascism and stirring racial tensions.
    this mirage never actually existed outside the fevered imagination of american exceptionalism.

the nation is build on a firm foundation of oligarchy, genocide and racism producing a distinctly american strand of what we today call outright fascism.

It's not a unique trajectory and the same trends are seen elsewhere, but the US is/was the best hope for a non-autocratic model of government.

Now we're left with impotent Russia, China with their literal concentration camps, or feeble EU that has members who seem hell bent on giving a big fuck you to democracy and human rights (hello Orban). So yeah, it's not really looking good, especially with climate change looming ahead. So I'm hedging my bets on total fucking panic, dead people, and bullshit.
    the EU's problems are by no means limited to, or caused by, the wave of national conservatism sweeping the content as epitomized by Orban, it's very much a contributing cause however.

as for climate change, panic, lots and lots of dead people and truly stupendous amounts of bullshit was always on the cards, things are just happening quicker than expected... again.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Well.......FHC's Euros wanted to see America burn and knocked down a peg or six, looks like you're getting your wish.
    Very few wanted this. I for one wanted the US to the proper land of opportunity, where everyone can achieve their dreams, limited only by their skills and ambition. But it seems along the way it turned into land of indentured servitude and debt slavery with an oligarchic upper class hoarding all the wealth while flirting with fascism and stirring racial tensions. It's not a unique trajectory and the same trends are seen elsewhere, but the US is/was the best hope for a non-autocratic model of government.

Tell that to millions of European immigrants who emigrated to the US when the old continent had shit going for it. For many who emigrated from the Nordics it was a real increase in opportunities and quality of life in comparison to what they had back then.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Tell that to millions of European immigrants who emigrated to the US when the old continent had shit going for it. For many who emigrated from the Nordics it was a real increase in opportunities and quality of life in comparison to what they had back then.
    Most of them achieved better lives, myself included, (being an African immigrant) despite the narrative from both the left and the right.
    meh

going to something bad from something worse can be a improvement without ever actually getting good.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post

Maybe you could just eat shit and fuck off.
    When cornered, the animal will hiss and snarl.
    Stop dehumanizing me.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Most of them achieved better lives, myself included, (being an African immigrant) despite the narrative from both the left and the right.
    Bootstraps?

I'm glad my family moved away from the U.K. I think I've done better here than I could have done there.

Bootstraps?

I'm glad my family moved away from the U.K. I think I've done better here than I could have done there.
    I was already bootstrapped, to some degree, just in terms of some relevant experience that helped me land a job I could leverage.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Suppressing knowledge of inequality is a key aspect of contemporary capitalist propaganda.
    The Narcissist's Prayer seems particularly apt:

That didn't happen.

And if it did, it wasn't that bad.

And if it was, that's not a big deal.

And if it is, that's not my fault.

And if it was, I didn't mean it.

And if I did...

You deserved it.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Bootstraps?

At least until one of you gets a terminal illness or has an accident that your health insurance doesn't fully cover, and then you get to freefall all the way to the bottom!

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

Bootstraps?

At least until one of you gets a terminal illness or has an accident that your health insurance doesn't fully cover, and then you get to freefall all the way to the bottom!

Bootstraps?

Alistair isnt one of the plebs on bronze

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

Bootstraps?

Alistair isnt one of the plebs on bronze
    Bronze, silver and depending on your state all plans above will still leave you bankrupt if you don't have the luck to get the right illness.

Bootstraps?

What do you think differs in the outcome of the highlighted based on which country you are living in?
    meh

Bootstraps?

What do you think differs in the outcome of the highlighted based on which country you are living in?
    your family will still have a home and savings at the end of the ordeal?

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

Bootstraps?

your family will still have a home and savings at the end of the ordeal?
    No. Most countries have entire industries around terminal care, so, don’t be so sure about that. End of life doesnt really look that different anywhere (except the amount of time they can keep you alive in an expensive ICU bed_
    meh