hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TMA living/working in Stockholm

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Derindar View Post
    Correct, they are offering to help with relocation etc for the right people. As I read it, it sounds like public transport is way more established over there than it is here, but that's no bad thing if I don't have to worry about my own car for example.

I can cook for myself np so I'd definitely make good use of the kitchen, but without a car I'd wonder about trips I currently regularly take for things like groceries etc. Is grocery delivery a thing over there?

Thanks for the link, am watching some vids now.
    Public transport is going to take care of you as long as you get to relocate to a place < 30min of driving time from the city center. Any more of that you are probably looking at having to change lines a couple of times and it will be a bit more hassle. Speaking out of experience from living near and working in Oslo, I suspect it's not that different in Sthlm.

So I would definitively follow up on where you are getting set up if they do that for you. But I suspect they keep this factor in mind (but I wouldn't take it for granted). That being said, you shouldn't have to think about having your own car to get around, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Local supermarkets and groceries are plentiful all around within walking distances. Just get to know your local area and you're good.

Stockholm is a beautiful city.
    The food is good, the people are nice. Living standards is very high.

Closer to city center you decide to live, the more expensive its going to be.
    Forget about commuting in a car, the traffic will test your will to live.
    (train/subway > motor cycle > bicycle)

In general, living in Sweden is very cheap, except for rent in Stockholm.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Getting an apartment will be your biggest hurdle but I suspect your company will help you out on that front. Getting around in Stockholm is super easy with the subway and not really pricey at all IMO. The locals whine about the price and service when it comes to public transport but the truth is they're spoiled silly. A 30 day pass with unlimited travel within the Stockholm municipality costs 890 SEK ~ 100 USD.

Well, that's not that expensive, but not cheap either. Vienna's 1 month pass is for example 51 € , the 1 year ticket is 365 €
    Now I feel like I live in capitalist hellworld paying £130 a month
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Getting an apartment will be your biggest hurdle but I suspect your company will help you out on that front. Getting around in Stockholm is super easy with the subway and not really pricey at all IMO. The locals whine about the price and service when it comes to public transport but the truth is they're spoiled silly. A 30 day pass with unlimited travel within the Stockholm municipality costs 890 SEK ~ 100 USD.

Well, that's not that expensive, but not cheap either. Vienna's 1 month pass is for example 51 € , the 1 year ticket is 365 €
    Don't worry, it will soon be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

>implying you didn't already know that london is a (venture) capitalist hellworld.

Yeah the 1€/day annual ticket is pretty fucking cool but it's also being solder under cost. Without other people buying normal tickets at higher prices and subsidizing they'd actually make a loss.
    Greens enforced the 365€ annual ticket after being voting into the coalition government in 2012. Before that it was 449€ per year...so still pretty fucking cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post

>implying you didn't already know that london is a (venture) capitalist hellworld.
    London venture capitalists are pretty amateur, pathetic deal volume and shitty ticket sizes with stupid cash covenants. There's a reason Silicon valley shits out tech unicorns and London doesn't, our capitalists are stuck in the 20th century thinking money has any sort of inherent value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    oh yea, and be prepared to get a bicycle, even if you live a fair bit outside the city, it's not uncommon to commute in by train, and cycle in the city, or commute from your apartment to the station on a bicycle.

and yes, folks ride it in winter up here, in the snow, on fuck-off skinny tires, because traction is really just a question of willpower.
    Or you just get winter tyres for your bike. Yes that's a thing.
    what sort of sissy are you ?

oh wait, you're swedish aren't you ?
    Get out dane, on the scandinavian peninsula, winter tyres are a good idea.
    no denying that, but it's not very manly is it ?

no you see, true vikings deal with ice covered bikelanes by force of will alone, i have seen this done many times, if you simply will hard enough the ice will melt before you even drive over it.

and if not, you end up looking like a massive fool as you slide across the bikelane on your arse.
    Your Ice is our wind. I had so many epic battles as a (pre-)teen.
    Me, my bike and a frontal wind. After a while it gets personal. Man vs. Nature. Making it home alive and in a decent time ment you won.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Yeah, people complain about house prices here, but in absolute terms they're actually not too bad. It's cos wages here are lower than one might expect, which pushes up the unaffordability that way.

Good to know re the language, the company is an international one so I expect English would be primary in the office anyway, but ofc I'd want to do my part to fit in where I could as well.
    i would not expect the working language to be english, but people will be accommodating you, especially if you make a bit of a effort to learn some swedish, it's nothing to worry about in my experience from a international defence contracotr.

Food, I actually like the fatty stuff, I lost my weight by cutting the carbs, so I'm all about the meat and veges, less so the pasta and rice. That rotten fish almost sounds appealing, depending on how it was served. Alcohol is a non-issue for me, I don't drink.

The cold may be a worry. It never used to be when I was bigger and literally never felt it, but it's taken some adjusting these last couple of years since I've shrunk. NZ's housing stock also has a reputation of being somewhat poorly insulated, but I imagine that side of things would be better in places like Sweden where you just couldn't get away with cutting those sorts of corners?
    you really can't due to the weather patterns, if you get the chance stick to the public housing system, it's usually run as a self-owned non-profit meaning the motivation to skimp on renovations and maintenance just aren't there.

The latitude here is 46S, but I grew up at around 44S and I can tell the difference at the seasonal extremes even between them. So at 60N I bet that'll be a bit of a shock for me, but yeah, SAD lamps and all that I guess.

Good post, thanks for the info.
    its' one of the things that often catch people off-guard in my experience, the climate is fairly mild due to the gulf-stream so it's nowhere near as severe weather-wise as people might expect, to compound that most usually arrive late spring or early autumn where the days are average length and they rarely really notice the long summer nights the first year, then December rolls around and they start wondering where the daylight went.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Hey man! Nice of you to look at my city for your new home!

I'm travelling/vacation atm but I can try and follow up once I'm back next week. Feel free to expand on the job your are looking at, what your skills are etc (either in thread or PM).
    If nothing else I can give you some general advice and my ex is a recruiter with lots of experience and know-how for coming here to live/work so I can have her write down stuff too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Thanks Lowa, I'll send a PM sometime this weekend.

Is grocery delivery a thing over there?
    Well there's a fair few companies selling you ingredients to their recipies of the week on what is pretty much a subscription based business model. I've tried them out now and then and it's a pretty handy way of doing things as you only need to supplement them with stuff you should have at home anyway. (salt, vinegar etc)

In my case it actually lowered my spending on foodstuffs as I didn't end up buying superfluos stuff that I didn't need. And I got to try recipies that I wouldn't otherwise have considered which is always nice.

beyond that, they're kinda bonkers when it comes to alcohol, so be prepared to do significant pilgrimages to the nearest border to get the good stuff without being fleeced alive.
    Real talk; the "good stuff" is actually why people even cross the bridge from Copenhagen to Malmoe since they can't find those high-end products at Netto or SuperBrugsen. People like to hate on Systembolaget, but they have a massive selection on order if you know what you are looking for and the service is excellent.

My fellow failheapers/failers/failures/whatevs,

an opening for an IT job based in Stockholm has recently caught my eye and I'm considering applying. Thing is, I currently live in New Zealand, so it would be quite the move were I to actually land the position.

In theory, some factors make it easier for me to make such a move than most. I'm single, no kids, long used to solo apartment living etc. I imagine it would be relatively straightforward for someone like me to pack a few bags and just go, chucking what little else I have into storage for later.

For someone in my position, the primary factor would simply appear to be the cost of living. At my end of New Zealand (Dunedin), wages are relatively low but so is cost of living (my rent is currently roughly 900NZD/600USD a month for example). A cursory comparison between Stockholm and here suggests that apartments and transportation over there are considerably more expensive, even if things like food/clothes/entertainment are about on a par with here. So it's going to require a not-inconsequential pay rise for it to be financially worthwhile for me at least.

With regard to other factors, I appeal to all you Swedes out there, TMA your experience of Stockholm. What's daily life like there? Will I freeze to death in winter? How tolerant are the locals of newcomers who wouldn't (at first) know a single word of the local language? What's the cuisine like (as a fatty-no-more, this is more important to me than it might be for most)? Anything else I should know before I consider such a crazy leap north?

TIA etc.
    You shouldn't have any problems finding suitable food, no mater your diet. Currently there's a big vegan-hipster trend going on if you're into that kind of thing.
    Language should not be a problem. There are few countries where english is as accepted as in sweden, to such a degree that people have a hard time learning swedish since people just switch to english when they notice you're not fully comfortable with swedish yet. We have several australians where I work.
    No you will not freeze to death. This is "the south". We barely get snow down here.
    Might feel a bit chilly at first if you're not used to it. But you get used to it fast. Don't put on the propper witner clothes untill you feel cold. Let your body adjust.

You will most likely have trouble finding a place to live tho. I live half an hour from the central station and still play 12000:- (1200€) per month in rent for a small two room apartment. I have friends who rent shared apartments for much less tho.
    I recommend using "blocket.se" and mailing on every interesting apartment that shows up. Be prepared to pay one months rent in advance as a guarantee. Don't pay two. That's usually a scam. And be weary of scammers.
    Welcome to stockholm!
    Last edited by Ashaz; January 31 2019 at 09:13:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    You shouldn't have any problems finding suitable food, no mater your diet. Currently there's a big vegan-hipster trend going on if you're into that kind of thing.
    Language should not be a problem. There are few countries where english is as accepted as in sweden, to such a degree that people have a hard time learning swedish since people just switch to english when they notice you're not fully comfortable with swedish yet. We have several australians where I work.
    No you will not freeze to death. This is "the south". We barely get snow down here.
    Might feel a bit chilly at first if you're not used to it. But you get used to it fast. Don't put on the propper witner clothes untill you feel cold. Let your body adjust.

You will most likely have trouble finding a place to live tho. I live half an hour from the central station and still play 12000:- (1200€) per month in rent for a small two room apartment. I have friends who rent shared apartments for much less tho.
    I recommend using "blocket.se" and mailing on every interesting apartment that shows up. Be prepared to pay one months rent in advance as a guarantee. Don't pay two. That's usually a scam. And be weary of scammers.
    Welcome to stockholm!
    Well, I have to apply first, this thread is more of a sanity check to make sure I'm not forgetting anything too obvious about the area before I apply. But the CV is top of my list to work on this weekend.

They've said in the ad that they would help find a place for the right person if they're from abroad, and I'd like to think an international company wouldn't mess the right person around on something like that, whether that's me or not.

I'm feeling comfortable re the food from earlier replies, as long as there's a supermarket or similar within walking distance of where I live then I could just go a few times a week to get whatever I can carry, as opposed to the weekly drive that I do where I am at the moment.

As for the language, well they say the Swedish version of Carolus Rex by Sabaton has better lyrics than the English version. If I actually made it over there, one of my language goals would be to try and learn enough to be able to make that comparison for myself; I know I enjoy the English version already.

As for the language, well they say the Swedish version of Carolus Rex by Sabaton has better lyrics than the English version. If I actually made it over there, one of my language goals would be to try and learn enough to be able to make that comparison for myself; I know I enjoy the English version already.
    You'll make it, Swedish is the easiest of the Scandinavian languages. =)

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post
    beyond that, they're kinda bonkers when it comes to alcohol, so be prepared to do significant pilgrimages to the nearest border to get the good stuff without being fleeced alive.
    Real talk; the "good stuff" is actually why people even cross the bridge from Copenhagen to Malmoe since they can't find those high-end products at Netto or SuperBrugsen. People like to hate on Systembolaget, but they have a massive selection on order if you know what you are looking for and the service is excellent.
    I live in Malmö and work in Copenhagen.
    I often buy the good stuffs in Sweden and bring it over to the fine folks at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I often buy the good stuffs in Sweden and bring it over to the fine folks at the office.
    yet Helsingør and the danish motorways are awash with swedes whenever a holiday is near.

because the cheap stuff is that expensive over there.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

yet Helsingør and the danish motorways are awash with swedes whenever a holiday is near.

If you want bulk, you buy in Denmark.
    Want the special stuff, Sweden.

If you want bulk, you buy in Denmark.
    Want the special stuff, Sweden.
    Sounds like a decent arrangement to me.

you both realize that we go to Germany to get that stuff in bulk right ?
    Viking, n.: