hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Laptop & Devices thread

He'll emasculate himself if he rests that toaster on his balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    You've somewhat emasculated me Equium
    I'm sorry Im just excited! My desktop died over a month ago and its been tough on an ipad and iphone!

@Daneel, you are so on point. The strip above the keys is almost too hot to touch when gaming. BUT it will hold it for hours of gaming. It holds a 3.9G turbo for 2-3 hours (when i tunred it off to go to bed).

What's the refresh rate on the monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Ass ass ass.

144Hz its gorgeous. Way better than my AOC 144hx. the colours are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    I'd ask for a video but I wouldn't be able to see it anyway. It's kind of frustrating that 144hz is something you can only see in person with appropriate hardware.

A reminder that the last few days of the GPD MicroPC fundraiser are here for anyone still contemplating taking the plunge. After this round the retail price will increase by about 25% and delivery delayed to later in the year.

get a mac

Bought a Razer Blade 15 1070maxQ, i wanted the 2070 (2019 edition) but at 2.2k i had to wait a bit longer. So I saved nearly 500 getting last years version. I dont think the 2019 vwrsion was worth 500 more than this one.

Its beautiful, it sounds like a jet engine taking off, but i got bose qC25's so who cares haha

The keyboard is amazing (and the 2019 doesnt get "lit up" function keys either so no loss there. IT feels so well built. I have no coil whine, no obvious edge light bleed and none of the other problems reported on the razer sub reddit.

Its so good, this is going to be my primary computer for the next 2-3 years. So I am very happy.

One thing I will be doing, this is the 256gb version, so I will be buying a intel 660p 2TB SSD very soon to go into it.

Oh yeah and it runs hot, like i can barely touch it above the keyboard, but thats "normal" apparently haha
    That is a sweet laptop. Please make sure you keep an eye on the battery and don't run with it plugged in for too long. Ideally, look for an utility program that will keep it charged between 40% and 80% at all times. They tend to bulge and swell and they tend to do this within the warranty period at times. I had to help a friend replace the one in his 14'' and reddit is full of pics and posts on the Razer subreddit regarding swollen batteries.

Other than that, it's a really nice machine, hope it serves you well!

It's because it's an IPS display. Suggestion: find somebody who has a display calibrating tool and enjoy even lovelier colours. Or head to tftcentral.co.uk and see if they have a profile for your screen in their downloads section
    Last edited by Cosmin; May 5 2019 at 06:54:13 AM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

will do, cant give reps tho.

I'm assuming this is the right thread for my problem. I'm currently using a craptastic LG monitor that was an emergency purchase about 5 years ago, it was cheap and that's why I have it, but now it's well past its time to go. So basically I'm looking to buy a new monitor for my desktop PC, my only real requirements are size (24-27'') and refresh rate (144 plz), and my biggest worry is reliability, as in how fast pixels start to degrade, backlight issues, common factory errors and frequency of them etc.
    From my memories of ages long past, Samsung used to be the shizzle in terms of quality vs reliability, has that changed? Any specific model suggestions? Oh, budget-wise I could go up to €500 tops, but ideally around €350. Help and input are much appreciated, the rep-bays are loaded and ready to dispense.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    I'm assuming this is the right thread for my problem. I'm currently using a craptastic LG monitor that was an emergency purchase about 5 years ago, it was cheap and that's why I have it, but now it's well past its time to go. So basically I'm looking to buy a new monitor for my desktop PC, my only real requirements are size (24-27'') and refresh rate (144 plz), and my biggest worry is reliability, as in how fast pixels start to degrade, backlight issues, common factory errors and frequency of them etc.
    From my memories of ages long past, Samsung used to be the shizzle in terms of quality vs reliability, has that changed? Any specific model suggestions? Oh, budget-wise I could go up to €500 tops, but ideally around €350. Help and input are much appreciated, the rep-bays are loaded and ready to dispense.
    Just out of interest, why the 144Hz? Is it for first person shooters? Forgive me for being ignorant, it's just that I assumed that's the only real use for them. Never seen one in person before so interested to hear it's benefits for when, one day, I can afford a new PC (if ever)

Just out of interest, why the 144Hz? Is it for first person shooters? Forgive me for being ignorant, it's just that I assumed that's the only real use for them. Never seen one in person before so interested to hear it's benefits for when, one day, I can afford a new PC (if ever)
    C, FPS, specifically my old Quake addiction. It's literally painful to play it on 60Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Every game benfits from the 144hz, not just for competitive advantage but also just how smooth everything is. Its so nice to use and everything looks great (imo).

Every game benfits from the 144hz, not just for competitive advantage but also just how smooth everything is. Its so nice to use and everything looks great (imo).
    Not just games and thing that involves moving stuff in windows, scrolling, dragging etc. will benefit from higher refresh rates.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Been using an ASUS PG279Q for a while now and at that time it was the only one bar an Acer Predator thingie that had the following:
    - IPS panel;
    - 144Hz refresh;
    - 1440p.

It used to have really terribad QC issues with monumental backlight bleeding, I ended up getting a really good one though.

Love my 31.5" IPS 1440p screen especially as it was only 200, 144Hz would be nice but then so would 30fps in games. Of course after using a large monitor I cant go back now so I am just setting myself up for an expensive upgrade down the line.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

He asked specifically for a 144Hz screen though

Curious about more specs on that 31.5" IPS 1440p screen. Sounds a bit too good to be true at 200 quid only.

As we have no generic "Gadgets & Peripharicals" thread, this one is the closest, so I'll abuse it.

Now that we ventured into the >30C again, I'm wondering if a) any of you has experience with laptop cooling pads, i.e. are they snake oil or are they helping out with cooling. And if the latter, and someone has experience, any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    As we have no generic "Gadgets & Peripharicals" thread, this one is the closest, so I'll abuse it.

Now that we ventured into the >30C again, I'm wondering if a) any of you has experience with laptop cooling pads, i.e. are they snake oil or are they helping out with cooling. And if the latter, and someone has experience, any recommendations?
    My friend had a laptop which used to overheat and die all the time when we played games, he got a cooling pad and it overheated and died much less often. I'll ask him what make it was but I think it was probably just a cheapish one that was on Amazon. I'd expect they are all much of a muchness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    yeah i used to use a cheapo one (can't remember make or model) and it did make a slightly noticeable difference. thing was fucking loud though