hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2019 Laptop & Devices thread

Roger that, thank you both for your answers.

So it's not pure snake oil and I can start to look around a bit. And thanks for mentioning the fan noise, teds. Haven't thought of that aspect, but that's definitely something to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    As we have no generic "Gadgets & Peripharicals" thread, this one is the closest, so I'll abuse it.

Now that we ventured into the >30C again, I'm wondering if a) any of you has experience with laptop cooling pads, i.e. are they snake oil or are they helping out with cooling. And if the latter, and someone has experience, any recommendations?
    If a cooling pad helps at times, maybe repasting the CPU/GPU and doing an internal cleanup may help as well without the added noise. Unless you actually have cooling intakes on the bottom of your laptop, it is unlikely to actually help and it may delay the laptop just dying from melted power circuits. Undervolting the CPU also helps massively, albeit there's a bit of testing involved with that.

That being said, they're mostly the same with the added caveat that the best thing to do sometimes is use something to lift your laptop off the surface it's placed on so it can get more air. Depends a lot on the laptop and how its cooling was engineered. For example, some Macbooks have intakes on the sides and exhaust on the long edge, so a cooling pad is really completely useless for them.

As a hands-on example, I repasted the CPU and GPU on my 2013 MBP Retina 15'' and undervolted the CPU using Volta by 20mV. Temps dropped from 95-99*C to a more reasonable 55-60*C.
    Last edited by Cosmin; June 28 2019 at 01:22:34 PM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    As we have no generic "Gadgets & Peripharicals" thread, this one is the closest, so I'll abuse it.

Now that we ventured into the >30C again, I'm wondering if a) any of you has experience with laptop cooling pads, i.e. are they snake oil or are they helping out with cooling. And if the latter, and someone has experience, any recommendations?
    If a cooling pad helps at times, maybe repasting the CPU/GPU and doing an internal cleanup may help as well without the added noise. Unless you actually have cooling intakes on the bottom of your laptop, it is unlikely to actually help and it may delay the laptop just dying from melted power circuits. Undervolting the CPU also helps massively, albeit there's a bit of testing involved with that.

That being said, they're mostly the same with the added caveat that the best thing to do sometimes is use something to lift your laptop off the surface it's placed on so it can get more air. Depends a lot on the laptop and how its cooling was engineered. For example, some Macbooks have intakes on the sides and exhaust on the long edge, so a cooling pad is really completely useless for them.

As a hands-on example, I repasted the CPU and GPU on my 2013 MBP Retina 15'' and undervolted the CPU using Volta by 20mV. Temps dropped from 95-99*C to a more reasonable 55-60*C.
    Should i wait for my warranty to expire before repasting? I've heard people have hd good positive changes with their razer blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Should i wait for my warranty to expire before repasting? I've heard people have hd good positive changes with their razer blades.
    Depends on the warranty. It's a highly personal choice. My MBP Apple Care expired and having that thing close to 100*C was bound to end up in it dying. I did have the battery changed once after it swelled.

If the warranty is not affected by you opening it up and there are no screws with seals on them and you are confident you won't cock it up, it may help. If any of those conditions are not met, I would think twice before attempting it.

Usually the Blades have battery swelling issues rather than anything else, if you keep your intakes and exhausts clear I'd first attempt undervolting the CPU and seeing how that helps. Repasting is less important than that.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.