hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Laptop & Devices thread

2019 Laptop & Devices thread

~ so though I was super keen for it, I never got around to buying a GPD Pocket and missed the Pocket 2 and generally was not at all sold on eMMC memory to begin with anyway BUT

GPD announced late last year they were going to offer a new model aimed away from games and more towards productivity & industrial applications and it's now available for preview on Indiegogo

Some features:
    • Intel® Celeron® N4100 processor, which is 4 core 4 thread - as an aside this limits the IGG batch to 2000 units because of Intel supply problems
    • Win 10 Pro, Ubuntu MATE 18.10
    • 6 inch 1280 x 720 display - I use a 720 x 1280 5.7 inch LG Stylo 2 as a mini-tablet around the house and was already looking at the slightly larger Pocket range, so this is fine for me.
    • 128GB M.2 SSD - user replaceable SSD, ABOUT FUCKING TIME. Helps with the next thing too,
    • RAM is LPDDR4 4GB, yes only 4GB for Windows 10, I'm not exactly over the moon about this but the move to a user replaceable SSD means I can at least utilize the page/swap file with improved confidence. They've been very firm in expressing they consider 4GB enough for productivity but that's just like, your opinion, man.
    • Aside from WiFi & Bluetooth it has 3 x USB 3 'A' ports, a USB C and RJ45 ethernet and (trumpets please!) RS-232
    • Weighs less than half a kilo! Back-lit keyboard!

There are some handy dandy preview model videos over on YT and if you're eager like me, someone setup a countdown until the IGG backing opens in Feb and delivery speculated for early May.

Interesting device but I really can't see a use case for this that a normal sized laptop can't do better.

Yeah, it's undoubtedly an extremely niche product. I get the impression from their marketing material that it's orientated very much toward people who want less of a fully formed laptop and more of a small computer they can chuck in a bag with their other tools.

Does the celron have a 4gb limit like the atom did?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Does the celron have a 4gb limit like the atom did?
    I THINK it's capped to 8.

Fake edit: yeah I remembered right.

To be fair, Windows 10 works much better on 4gb than 7 or 8 did. A boot ssd will make a huge difference.. We aren't talking a gaming rig here so it'll probably be fine.

I don't know why I want one, but I want one.

Would never get used (apart from novelty period) and the SWMBO would eat me alive for spending $299/$399 (or rather whatever it goes for in £) on that

Something quite cool about Win10 on such a small device though

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    To be fair, Windows 10 works much better on 4gb than 7 or 8 did. A boot ssd will make a huge difference.. We aren't talking a gaming rig here so it'll probably be fine.
    Windwos 10: yes. But any modern browser will bring the system to a halt by just starting it.

This thing is actually pretty neat, thinking about picking one up for my brother's birthday as he's been looking for a laptop with a serial port to use with various automotive scan & diagnostic tools and Toughbooks are pretty much the only option.

LTT got access to a production sample. Performance seemed okay for what it is, but they didn't really like built-in keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post

LTT got access to a production sample. Performance seemed okay for what it is, but they didn't really like built-in keyboard.
    To be fair, the couple of use cases I can think of where one of these would be useful all use the serial port, so props to that.

At the other end of the spectrum is the MBP I'm using for work. This was the refresh they just did with the newer Pro Vega in it and firmware updates to fix the overheating issues they had with the earlier 2018 models.

Spoiler:

Pros:
    • Exactly what I needed as far as screen size, form factor, capability (mobile computer I could use FCP/Motion with for video editing).
    • Looks really pretty.
    • Having integration with everyone else's Apple computers is a godsend. One good thing about the walled garden approach is a lot of stuff is easy to swap and work with without having a bunch of extra setup. AirDrop is the best for swapping giant video files between computers without having to go through a network, and while Apple's Remote Desktop software sucks being able to screen share with other computers on the same network makes the IT issues I deal with easier to fix.

Cons:
    • Expensive as fuck, base model is $2800 and mine with all the bells and whistles was over $5000. Thankfully this was a work purchase that I didn't have to pay for, and I only recommend it as a work machine.
    • Even with the heat issues fixed the machine can get uncomfortably hot when rendering video in FCP. Apple's obsession with quiet means the fans don't kick on until the CPU is reaching the high 80s which does not feel good on your lap. Not to mention I don't like the idea of a computer running hot and reducing its life expectancy.
    • Possible unforeseen future issues. I've heard people having trouble with the new shitty butterfly keys sticking or double typing letters, or getting stuck and unresponsive altogether. Will see with my model.

I love the smooth aluminium look of mac devices. That was part of the allure of the GPD Pocket for me, but I find the obsession with 'thinness' a little ridiculous when it seems to result in things like those keyboard issues.

Just a reminder that GPD campaign goes live in just under 2 days.

TDP of the CPU has been boosted via firmware to 10W, up from design sheet 6W which improves performance (see: _1_ & _2_ - they have some related videos, may be of interest if you're thinking of picking one of these up) this will of course likely impinge on stated battery life a little, though ultimately that depends on your workload and you can mitigate... from what I read on their discord they don't feel this will have a big impact compared to the relative gain in processing.

The team picked up on the logo being upside down when the lid is raised and have since rectified that error for when it goes into production.

Unless something goes dramatically wrong in the next day or two, I'll be committing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    I love the smooth aluminium look of mac devices. That was part of the allure of the GPD Pocket for me, but I find the obsession with 'thinness' a little ridiculous when it seems to result in things like those keyboard issues.
    To be fair not all thin keyboard are rubbish. Just look at the ThinkPad X1 series, thin and light laptops and by far the best keyboards.

you're right it's not all thin device keyboard are bad but I get the distinct impression with Mac & Apple products generally that the pursuit of thinness has compromised other aspects of their design. 'Bendgate' comes immediately to mind. At the end of the day I'd rather have a few extra mm to make for a sturdier device and maybe even squeeze in a bit more battery life / know the keyboard has no excuse to be shite.

Well Apple is 95% form and 5% function. Hence I never got a MacBook as can't stand their keyboards.

I rather like the keyboard typing feel, but it wasn't a make or break decision for me. A few more mm for extra cooling capabilities or battery power would go a long way rather than obsessing over thinness to the point of really weak points in the machine's design (phones bending should have made Apple much more cautious than they have been). I think they've found the absolute limit to their engineering when ti comes to heat and durability in the MBP and phone issues are non-existent now, but using your consumer base as your lab testing isn't going to make customers happy when you overcharge a ton.

That said I'm following the GDP now, that looks like a useful mini-netbook for IT work.

Well the IGG is live and I've committed $299 USD to a unit. It's currently at +50% funding, under an hour since launch.

It's a flexible funding goal and they get paid no matter what it hits, but I expect it will fully fund - they're as much using it for advertisement as anything else. After the first 2250 units commit, there will probably be a booster of 500 or so units available but if you're going to pull the trigger don't wait too long...

EDIT: not to sound like they're rushing out the door or anything, that funding goal doesn't actually tie directly to stock quantities. They're over halfway to the goal but only about 11% of the total planned stock of units is committed. There's still 60 days/1750 units (approx) to go.

EDIT EDIT: lol barely what, 3 hours or so? Fully funded. 341 units claimed, 1909 remaining over the next 60 days. Lot of Japanese names in the backers list, UMPCs clearly still pretty popular over there.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: second day, not even 24 hours and 692/2250 claimed. Doing a brisk trade but you've probably got a couple days...
    Last edited by Sparq; February 15 2019 at 10:50:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    To be fair not all thin keyboard are rubbish. Just look at the ThinkPad X1 series, thin and light laptops and by far the best keyboards.
    This is a really subjective opinion. Honestly, for me personally all laptop keyboards are rubbish. You just can't get the linear goodness that a proper mechanical keyboard offers, no matter the tech underneath.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Just got work to pick up one of these babies to replace my MBP. I didn't have any real problems with the old one except that I have a legit need to do some serious gaming for my work, and the Mac versions of Office apps are such a crapshoot in terms of feature parity that it became infuriating. Also no Visio wtf?

Spoiler:

MSI Stealth GS65, i7-8750, 1070maxQ, 32/512, 144hz refresh on the LCD which I think makes up for trading down in terms of resolution. Only $2500. Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.