hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: 2019-2021 Laptops and Devices all stars showdown thread

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    New laptop time!

I currently have a Dell XPS 13, but since Dell put out two garbage XPS 13 options this year, I am looking at an Asus Zenbook S13 OLED with an AMD cpu now (assuming it ever gets released):

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Z....633487.0.html

I am aware that there is also the Lenovo Z13 with similar specs (and I don't want a macbook). Would anyone suggest another option?
    Hi all you beautiful people, how about less pointless bickering about Apple and more helping awesome Gerome find a new laptop.

New laptop time!

I currently have a Dell XPS 13, but since Dell put out two garbage XPS 13 options this year, I am looking at an Asus Zenbook S13 OLED with an AMD cpu now (assuming it ever gets released):

I am aware that there is also the Lenovo Z13 with similar specs (and I don't want a macbook). Would anyone suggest another option?
    Hi all you beautiful people, how about less pointless bickering about Apple and more helping awesome Gerome find a new laptop.
    My standard recommandation still stands: Dell Latitude. But I can't tell if your desired configuration fits into your budget.

I keep recommending specifically the Latitude series, because it has proven to be sturdy and reliable in my former company. We always added the NBD warranty to be on the safe side. We had next to none issues with the hardware itself - I'm still using a 2005er Latitude (E6420) at home with Win 10 without major complaints. Performance could be better of course, but it's acceptable, considering its age. I had to replace the HDD, but that's about all that broke in the 17 years.

There surly are better machines for the same money available. But especially with laptops, where replacing broken hardware is difficult if possible at all, I prefer reliability and longevity over performance/price.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Just that Apple has the added "benefit" of locking you into a walled garden and its marketing is totally aimed at the very group of persons I despise: hipsters.

I'm with Mashie here. I give them that they're a good tool for the lay person, but I personally rather suffer than ever willingly use one of their products.

Oh ... and fuck them hard for spamming that .DS_STORE (or similarily named) file in each and every directory on a network where the device/user has write permission. And yes, MS does the same BS with its thumbnails.
    Gotta sell those facebook machines, you don't make so many billions in cash peddling to sysadmins. The thing is they managed to go back to their roots with the M1, so for all I care hipsters are welcome to put cash in Apple's pockets so we can get awesome machines like that at a reasonable price (which unfathomably they are).

Yes I discovered that .ds_store thingie however unlike MS generating thumbnails you can turn it off rather easily

I'm all for bitter grumbling about their practices but I feel it's fair to give Caesar what is Caesar's (even shit when appropriately so).

@Gerome, Dell has really great stuff. If you go for one I fully endorse getting their next business day service if it's still available. I had an M6600 at one point and that service saved me a LOT of headaches and monies and time.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

New laptop time!

Hi awesome Gerome, I'm Dee Jiensai and hate all modern laptop manufacturers equaly and thus am uniquely qualified to help:

Buy this: https://frame.work/

You get an actually UPGRADABLE and REPAIRABLE modern Laptop, that has not succumbed to the fat-shaming that all other manufacturers do, and is not afraid to be bold and go where no-one has gone since the glory days of the IBM Thinkpad.
    Add some exchangable port modules that YOU chose and you make yourself and the planet happy.

This service was provided free of charge, have a nice day.

Framework is available in Europe? Noice. I absolutely expected them to be North America only for a while.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Yes I discovered that .ds_store thingie however unlike MS generating thumbnails you can turn it off rather easily
    Save as e.g. DisableThumbnail.reg, doubleclick, enjoy.

Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001
    As it's a user setting one doesn't even need administrative privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    New laptop time!

Hi awesome Gerome, I'm Dee Jiensai and hate all modern laptop manufacturers equaly and thus am uniquely qualified to help:

You get an actually UPGRADABLE and REPAIRABLE modern Laptop, that has not succumbed to the fat-shaming that all other manufacturers do, and is not afraid to be bold and go where no-one has gone since the glory days of the IBM Thinkpad.
    Add some exchangable port modules that YOU chose and you make yourself and the planet happy.

How long have these people been selling the laptop for? I like the idea but it is also important to consider this in terms of longevity of the company and/or third party parts makers for upgrades and replacements. No use having an upgradeable laptop if no one makes any upgrades anymore.

New laptop time!

How long have these people been selling the laptop for? I like the idea but it is also important to consider this in terms of longevity of the company and/or third party parts makers for upgrades and replacements. No use having an upgradeable laptop if no one makes any upgrades anymore.
    isnt this what Linus (LTT) invested into?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Yes. He also bought bought a Chevy Volt, which ended production in 2019. Interpret that however you want.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

New laptop time!

Oh, they are no dell/lenovo/HP, but they are on their second generation of Laptop (the first of which you can actually upgrade to the new model, by just buying the new mainboard, reusing your ram, storage, screen, etc.).
    They could totaly fuck this up yet, but they have momentum, and are in the right time with the right kind of product. Hitting the Zeitgeist you could say.
    In any case, even if they go down, you can probably keep one of their laptops going for a lot longer and a lot easier than many others.

Either Dell or Lenovo revealed a similar prototype product shortly after framework started selling their laptops. Framework has perfect timing developing and selling upgradeable and repairable laptops when customers put emphasis on reparability and sustainability.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Save as e.g. DisableThumbnail.reg, doubleclick, enjoy.

Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001
    As it's a user setting one doesn't even need administrative privileges.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hel OWeen again.
    Thank you, I wasn't aware of that, saved it ^^
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Wait what does this do?

This disables the creation of those (hidden) Thumbs.db files in every folder that has pictures in it. Caveat: no (thumbnails) preview option availablie in Windows Explorer for those files/folders.