hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Wednesday] Woman's Hour

[Wednesday] Woman's Hour

Ended up getting paid to listen to Woman's Hour on Radio 4 for half an hour today.

AMA
    Last edited by Totally Not Larkonnis; January 9 2019 at 08:16:10 PM.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    How much were you paid?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

I like women's hour, it's often good radio.

Would you have preferred Jeremy Vine? If so why?

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I need to vent,

So we took money out of dad's superannuation to pay for a service on his car & possibly some new tires. The caveat was, before we even worried about the new tires we'd get any urgent work done because (comparatively) the tires could wait if there's a major defect to resolve first.

So fast forward to today when we get the service done and it appears a high pressure line in the power steering assembly needs replacement, sooner rather than later. That eats most of the money we withdrew. That would be okay, except it transpires that the GIBBERING COCK PUNNET only went and specifically asked them to NOT get the tires rotated - which was otherwise included in part of the normal service routine - because he just up and assumed he'd go out afterward and get new tires anyway. Without knowing if there were going to be any defects. Which we had specifically discussed, having the tires rotated would buy a little time to get money together for new tires if we have to blow this wad of cash on a defect. Which we do now. As was anticipated.

*throwing my hands up in the air in disgust*

There's other :reasons: this has made me so angry that I don't want to get into right now, suffice to say it has combined to make this a really shitty day in an otherwise alright week.

Tell the shop a sob story so they agree to do the rotation for free, take the car when your Dad isn't looking to get it done.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Yeah I've seriously considered phoning them and asking them to squeeze it in with the other work. I don't drive.

What's probably going to happen is I'm going to pull another grand out of his super because I sure as well won't let him hit my mum up for the cash, which based on long experience I know is exactly what he'll do next. What's aggravating is that it will take a few weeks for that to process and a cheque to arrive & clear the account, during which I'll probably have to deal with him being more of a shitlord than usual because he couldn't get instant gratification. Like, he's my dad and I love him dearly but he has some mental health issues and can be pretty toxic to live with at times.

Probably verging into emo thread territory with this, so that'll do for now. Just ... ugh. I mean we're lucky he still has super left so we're not in the most dire straits here, it's just infuriating that on top of all his usual nonsense he has also managed to architect this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

I honestly completely fail to understand why people like Vine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

I honestly completely fail to understand why people like Vine.
    Do people like him? He's pretty insufferable and he quite often has segments which entirely don't work on the radio like he doesn't understand his own medium

I did enjoy his coverage of the run up to the brexit referendum though because he was so nakedly appalled by the vox pop that he was stumped for words on a few occasions and would struggle for cogence in the face of what we now know as the will of the people.

I think he's insufferable too, but my dad listens to him and a couple of my housemates listen to him fairly often. None have any time for my complaints about him
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I think it's a form of stockholm syndrome, he's the only option at that time of a weekday if all you have is a radio so you have to learn to like it

Radio 4 will be having some kind of tawdry period radio drama and in the southwest there's really nothing else.

I imagine in more civilised areas of the country there are much better alternatives. I've heard LBC is good or used to be

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    just listen to radio 1 innit

I tried once for a few minutes and I lost so many brain cells that Simon Mayo seemed like the pinnacle of incisive commentary

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    I tried once for a few minutes and I lost so many brain cells that Simon Mayo seemed like the pinnacle of incisive commentary
    where the fuck have you been hiding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Deepest Darkest Devonshire, look it says so on the tin.

6 music is good if you have DAB or an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    just listen to radio 1 innit
    I think he's older than 15 though...

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    6 music is good if you have DAB or an internet connection.
    This.
    Shoutout to Gilles Peterson Worldwide show

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    used to listen to radio 2 and radio 4 all the time when i lived with my parents. The Archers is really the only soap opera that i can stand due to this.

Radio 3 and classic fm so I can pretend Im more cultured than I actually am.

It also helps chill me out and calm the commute road rage.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    used to listen to classic FM on the way back to school with my dad and BBCs this sceptered isles which was the complete history of the UK from the dark ages til about 47