hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Somalia Famine

Southern Somalia Famine

This is probably going to get relegated to 'bad thread' status, but I just saw on the news that Southern Somalia has officially reached 'Famine' stage.

The UN is asking members for "hundreds of millions of pounds" for aid, which they intend to fly into Mogadishu and the surrounding areas, which are generally held by the Al-Shabab muslim extremists.
    Al-Shabab have ties to Al Qaeda, and when they took control they expunged all the aid workers from the area.
    As they control the area, the UN is having to negotiate with them to get access to land and distribute the aid. The negotiations and resource-gathering is expected to take 3 months, so they won't be getting any help until October anyway.

So, here are my thoughts:
    PROs
    Some people live
    UN isn't just a useless paper shell

CONs
    UN literally negotiates with terrorists
    Massive wealth outpour for little/no return

In addition, due to the time the operation will take to get started, those little kids they paraded in front of the cameras will likely be dead, or become a new wave of smack-addled child soldiers (who'll now also have food! ... If Al-Shabab doesn't take it all...)

This is what happens when black people

As an American I have had enough of this aid bullshit. Aid me.

If we're going to help Africa, there's much better places for that than Southern fucking Somalia.

Thing is, look at how long and how much Aid we have pumped into Africa. And exactly what has it achieved? due to the corrupt governments there very little of it actually reached the people on the ground. Time to look at trade not aid...

The only thing we should be flying into Mogadishu is some sort of tactical nuke.

Didn't the leaders say keep the fuck out of Country we don't want any help, but now they are realised everyone is dying of famine they suddenly say "ummm okay we'll take your food"

The other thing I don't understand is how governments can say we need to make cut backs then just hand out millions in aid to Countries left right and centre?

Giving aid to Africa is as smart pissing directly in the wind while having your mouth open, it can only end in disaster. Let us use the money to develop programs that educate our neighbors/children/selves or provide work for the people who have been unemployed for a long period of time. I for one, am tired of subsidizing African warlords.

I wonder how they survived for so long. What did their ancestors do that they survived for thousands of years?

I don't know them so I don't really care. Bad luck.

250 people died fighting over one well that then went dry.

The land is over its carrying capacity. Given that agriculture is out as the local drugged up kiddies in their technicals will come and take it, people rely on goats and sheep. There isn't enough fodder normally, so the current drought is icing on a big shit cake.

Now add in the pro-Al Queda loonies who control a lot of the country and any aid effort is likely to end in disaster.

Of course the UN and NGOs will try, probably kicking shit out of planes which is the worse possible delivery method, but frankly they should be giving the Kenyans and Ugandans mines and ammo to kill the refugees as they flee because otherwise those countries will be next.

This is a problem that will keep cropping up with increasingly regularity. Large parts of the world are already at the limits of their food/water resources and are degrading what they have to try and feed more and more people. If we allow them to all move to places that have a food surplus then we are merely delaying the ultimate result of too many people and not enough affordable food.
    Last edited by Maximillian; July 20 2011 at 02:47:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegor Stormborn View Post
    As an American I have had enough of this aid bullshit. Aid me.
    /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Airow View Post
    I wonder how they survived for so long. What did their ancestors do that they survived for thousands of years?

I don't know them so I don't really care. Bad luck.
    It comes down to straight over-population. You have societies reliant on nomadic herding. Historically drought would mean that you move to where there is still food and water. The story of people fleeing famine in Israel to Egypt is a good example of this.

Somalia is a failed state. In part it has failed because the horn of Africa has always been arid and subject to cyclical droughts. But as the population increased there was no longer anywhere you can move to as someone else is fully exploiting those resources and your arrival may well spell death for them and you. Its the over-full lifeboat scenario.

In the past people died in famines - often in large numbers - but as a result the survivors had more resources (plus the land often recovered) so recovery was swift. The shear number of people is now the cause of so many supposedly "natural disasters".

This would never have happened if the african people had guns.

Sourcing aid in Somolia through the UN? I foresee no predictable problems this worked perfectly last time we tried it.

Whatever happened to the UN Peace Keepers? Send in the sky-blue berets and have them park a tank in the middle of a village and hand out rice to the poor brown people, at least then they might get a meal before the local warlords come in and take all the aid for themselves.

Would get much more done than Johnny arts degree handing it out with a TV camera for self publicity.

Furthermore we should really contemplate sending in Appaches, because the past has taught us, that Blackhawks plainly just don't cut it.

I will donate to charity half of everything I make more then a director of an UN-aid organisation (roughly €350,000).

Only joking offcourse. I wouldn't give a penny.
    WOT & WT: Kyril

Easily solved if Somalians started eating flies.
    I asked for some advice in a department store about a gift for someone special.

The sales assistant said "we have a beautiful selection of gold necklaces and diamond rings just in".

I replied "no thanks, the fucking spastic will just eat those, got any Spiderman bibs?"

Quote Originally Posted by GiDiYi View Post
    Furthermore we should really contemplate sending in Appaches, because the past has taught us, that Blackhawks plainly just don't cut it.
    Just send in the red coats.

[youtube]1csr0dxalpI[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    Whatever happened to the UN Peace Keepers? Send in the sky-blue berets and have them park a tank in the middle of a village and hand out rice to the poor brown people, at least then they might get a meal before the local warlords come in and take the tank for themselves.

Would get much more done than Johnny arts degree handing it out with a TV camera for self publicity.
    Fixed it for you.

only give them water laced with birth control pills