hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Saturday] After The Fire

[Saturday] After The Fire

Spent yesterday in the fire zone in Paradise sifting through the rubble of momís house and emptying out her storage unit, which somehow survived despite every surrounding structure burning.

Driving back to Seattle today.

Crosses for the dead on the way into town.

Mom looking at whatís left of her place.

Fire burned completely though this canyon, but itís already greening again. Most of the trees are dead or dying, though.

Terrible. FYI you can flip images on imgur.

Wait, are the images showing up wrong? They have the correct orientation in my browser...

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Wait, are the images showing up wrong? They have the correct orientation in my browser...
    maybe its just me, when I open in new tab they show up fine

either way, cant imagine having to deal with this
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; January 5 2019 at 04:01:07 PM.

It honestly wasn’t that bad, though it was much harder for mom.

It was this weird sort of surreal combination of sadness and excitement (or maybe anxiety)?

Not many Americans alive today have ever seen a totally destroyed/devastated American town. Very strange just seeing rubble in every direction with occasional intact buildings.

F.

Hope it works out ok for your mom. That must be very traumatic.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Hope it works out ok for your mom. That must be very traumatic.

On a somewhat lighter note I fixed myself my own smartphone \o/ (second attempt - I first tried to detach the lcd, fine, from the old broken screen but broke it without realising )

Yeah my time was worth more but I was really curious to see if I could do it. Hadn't fiddled with smartphones yet. Fun!
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

It was this weird sort of surreal combination of sadness and excitement (or maybe anxiety)?

Not many Americans alive today have ever seen a totally destroyed/devastated American town. Very strange just seeing rubble in every direction with occasional intact buildings.
    I imagine it's the sort of thing you can't really properly understand or imagine without witnessing it first hand. What's happening to the area now? Rebuilding with insurance money? Abandonment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

I imagine it's the sort of thing you can't really properly understand or imagine without witnessing it first hand. What's happening to the area now? Rebuilding with insurance money? Abandonment?
    In typical post capitalism scenes, the insurance is tied to the property, so they canít collect insurance and move from what is probably a horrifically traumatic area for the victims.

At least, that is what I understand from San Raphael.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

In typical post capitalism scenes, the insurance is tied to the property, so they can’t collect insurance and move from what is probably a horrifically traumatic area for the victims.

At least, that is what I understand from San Raphael.
    There’s been no rebuilding yet; the debris isn’t even cleared.

When you come into town (up the hill from the valley floor) the first thing you see once you get into town (past the crosses in the pic) is a church where you can pick up coveralls and sifters and dust masks and the like. But right beside that there’s a burned out BMW five series that got so hot it’s wheels melted, and you can see streaks of metal where it was dragged to the side of the road. It’s the first sort of “woah, shit got real” thing you see.

A bit further up, on the commercial row, shops are just gone, piles of rubble or twisted metal, but here and there you’ll see a random house standing further back in the woods. The faces of business signs and billboards are just melted and bubbled, even some of the glass ones. Trees are down everywhere, and arborist crews are cutting them into chunks and taking them away. Most of the town’s trees are dead or will be dead soon. Here and there there are bulldozed piles of collected rubble, but most structures appear pretty much undisturbed.

There are no FEMA tents, no FEMA trailers, no relief housing of any kind. The empty field where refugees were sheltering in the immediate aftermath of the fire is now surrounded by chain-link and patrolled by guards. The only organized relief center that I found is the sprawling PG&E base camp, where trucks go in and out all day and night.

Rental prices are up, according to folks I talked to, and any house that comes on the market is subject to a bidding war. Most folks were underinsured, so lots can’t even afford to rebuild if they wanted to. In the meantime, people are staying in hotels or sleeping rough in the Chico town square.

Apparently the town has access to some government money to install a sewer system, and this has to go in before any real rebuilding can take place. My guess is that it will be a year before any real progress is made.

In the end I’m just grateful my family suffered as little as it did. Mom escaped, she has her cat, and the storage unit was full of family heirlooms and old household goods that have brought a touch of familiarity to our new house in Seattle. We actually ate dinner at a dining room table for probably the first time since I moved out when I was 18; the table has been in storage since then, and nowhere I’ve lived as an adult has been large enough to warrant setting up an actual dining room.

Compared to the majority of folks—especially the majority of renters—mom is pretty far to the left side of the bell curve in terms of distribution of post-fire outcomes. I think the trip down made her realize that, which was both comforting and horrifying to her at the same time. She has some pretty serious self-worth/guilt issues, and I’ve heard her express her bewilderment that things turned out relatively okay for her given how poor she is/was, compared to better-off neighbors that lost everything and are totally fucked.

The diaspora is also real; the few friends and acquaintances she knows who didn’t lose their homes are planning on moving to places like Oklahoma, New Mexico, Nevada. They can’t bear to live in a destroyed town. The ones who did lose their homes are already gone, and will likely never return. Businesses that survived can’t open because there’s no one to work in them.

All in all a pretty rough scenario.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; January 6 2019 at 04:25:08 PM.

You got a personal gofundme mate?

Why would I?

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    i don't either, but if you're splashing the cash can you order me some takeaway? i've left my wallet in the car.

Why would I?
    I thought it might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why would I?
    I thought it might help.
    Reinhold Niebuhr.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why would I?
    I thought it might help.
    If you’re volunteering a donation, I won’t say no, but I haven’t felt the need to solicit donations in the aftermath of all this—a lot of folk wound up worse off than us. Happy to PM you my PayPal address if you’re feeling generous.

I need a new head gasket for my winter car djan.
    pliss halp
    (I'm serious)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    I need a new head gasket for my winter car djan.
    pliss halp
    (I'm serious)
    “Winter car”
    meh

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    i don't either, but if you're splashing the cash can you order me some takeaway? i've left my wallet in the car.