hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 132 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerbal Space Program - Build Heaps Of Fail and Launch Them Into Space

A good starting rocket to get into orbit is 2 fuel with 1 rocket section, 2 lots of 4 boosters and 4 Sas stabilisers.

Normally i launch with 4 boosters then when those run out i jettison those and fire off 4 more. Then when those are done i jettison those and light the main engine at about 75% thrust. That should get you out to 100km easy so if you go for a lower 40-50km orbit you will have lots of fuel to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    made it into space, 460k up but losing speed. not sure how the fuck youre meant to get into an orbit as the controls just make it spaz out as soon as you turn auto stabilise off
    Less complex(fun) rockets. Commandmodule+fuel+engine goes straight up forever.

Edit: Are wings supposed to be useful? my rockets seem to be even less stable with them.. >.>
    Last edited by sokken; July 16 2011 at 11:33:10 PM.

wings dont do any thing atm

I'm having a strange amount of fun with this.

I made a video on how to fly into orbit and the design I use is
    Parachute
    Capsule
    Decoupler
    4x Fuel Tanks
    Liquid Fueled engine
    6x radial Decouplers
    6xSRB's with SAS units on top

That design can easily get into orbit, and can also achieve escape velocity - here's how.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvVjysJKB4

The various faces they make should be emotes to convey how well a thread is going.

this game is hilarious

dont panic little green friends, everything is fine B)
    No longer Deleting all your posts erryday due to butthurt
    usually pink or pinkest flamingo in other games

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU
    http://eve.enviroweb.org/

Making golden statues and raising your insurance premiums
    At first, when you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, it's hilarious. Then once you understand how all the bits fit together it's a bit more intriguing - I've just about managed an orbit. Escape speed seems to be a bit harder - I haven't yet got any further than about 1500km out.

The crucial thing is working out how to fit boosters onto other boosters. After that it all goes very quickly indeed.

Really sad you cant stack liquid fuel parts sideways. But finally managed to make a stable orbit. And I think I have enough fuel to play a bit and land the poor suckers.

But I could not possibly get to orbit using that 6xSRB+4xLqFuel+1MainEngine config. Couldn't get sufficient vertical speed , while I'm above 25km and thrusting sideways I always lose too much vertical speed before getting sufficient tangential speed. Than came a very fun episode of adding more and more SRBs to it, in multiple stages, than switching 1 LF engine to a tri-splitter and 3 engines. Compared to true monster rockets this one was still "elegant" (20 SRBs in 6+6+4 rings, first core stage 3 tanks and 3 engines on a splitter, 2nd stage 2 tanks and 1 engine, 3rd stage 1 tank 1 engine) and yet I couldn't get to orbit.

Switched back to my own design I toyed with yesterday. First stage a 3-split with 2 fuel tanks and 1 liquid engine on each port. That ringed with 6 SRBs that fire by 3. 2nd stage 2xfuel 1xlengine, 3rd stage 1 tank and 1 engine. By the time I got 2300+ vspeed I was 30km plus and going up. I ended on a orbit with a 610km apogee. And I'm currently trying to slowly get to lower orbit. But with such altitudes orbits take long and I ran out of patience a hour ago.

Agree that most fun is with hilarious overblown designs that break up immediately on launch pad or explode in first 10 seconds of flight.

what i really need is the ability to add or delete launch stages, i routinely find my self with either too few or too many. Has anyone figure that out, aside from just adding extra modules below the rocket and then deleting them once you've transferred the launch stages.?

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Really sad you cant stack liquid fuel parts sideways.

Closest I can manage is sideways stack solid fuels and then put the liquids below them.

After four successful orbits our brave little ship decelerated, after successful capsule separation a flawless reentry followed. Main parachute opened properly and capsule came to a gentle splash down in ocean... and than immediately exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by illectro View Post
    I made a video on how to fly into orbit and the design I use is
    Parachute
    Capsule
    Decoupler
    4x Fuel Tanks
    Liquid Fueled engine
    6x radial Decouplers
    6xSRB's with SAS units on top

That design can easily get into orbit, and can also achieve escape velocity - here's how.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvVjysJKB4
    That was your video?!? Haha! I Googled for a tutorial and ended up watching that. Was just what I needed. Only problem was I couldn't seem to get my speed up fast enough. By the time I had hit 2.2km/s, I was 130,000km above sea level :P

Mentlegen, I believe Escape has been achieved.

*edit* turned around shortly after, barely had enough fuel to retro back. At this rate they should make it back to Kearth in about 9 hours.

Fastest I've been so far on stock parts is 7km/s

Quote Originally Posted by Belid Hagen View Post
    what i really need is the ability to add or delete launch stages, i routinely find my self with either too few or too many. Has anyone figure that out, aside from just adding extra modules below the rocket and then deleting them once you've transferred the launch stages.?
    Been having this problem too, also parts just not appearing on the stage list. It's a cool concept and I think it will be loads of fun with a bit more polish, but right now I keep running into a bug that requires I scrap the rocket and start over or Alt-F4 the program.

this is awesome B)
    No longer Deleting all your posts erryday due to butthurt
    usually pink or pinkest flamingo in other games

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU
    http://eve.enviroweb.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Skidrowpunk View Post
    Mentlegen, I believe Escape has been achieved.

*edit* turned around shortly after, barely had enough fuel to retro back. At this rate they should make it back to Kearth in about 9 hours.
    Jeb is a fucking trooper

Escape velocity is supposedly somewhere 3.1km/s or 3.4km/s. Managed to hit it with largest "flyable" rocket (stock parts only of course, no cheating ). Ship was 11,000km up and still having 2.2+ km/s vertical speed.

I can't get a nice stable orbit in 50-100km range. I either turn down too soon and don't get enough vert speed to get out of all atmo before reaching orbital speed, or i play it safe and end up on crazy 500km+ perigee orbits.

wtb: bigger launch pad