hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3282122129130131132
Results 2,621 to 2,639 of 2639

Thread: Kerbal Space Program - Build Heaps Of Fail and Launch Them Into Space

These are what I consider must have quality of life mods:

[x] Science - science prompts and tracker
    Craft Manager - tagging, sorting and searching all your ships. Mega useful.
    Docking Port Alignment Indicator - takes the rage out of docking
    Kerbal Alarm Clock - this should be in the base game. No idea how you'd play without it once you have multiple ships on the go
    Kerbal Engineer Redux - everything from dV calcs during build to customisable HUDs. Should also be in the base game tbh.
    MechJeb - helps to automate the mundane manoeuvres once you've learnt how to do them manually for the 100th time.
    Precise Maneuver - tool for manipulating manoeuvre nodes accurately. Integrated with KAC and TWP so you can copy/paste transfer node data and set alarms.
    Tracking Station Evolved - makes the tracking station window useful.
    Transfer Window Planner - in game version of alexmoon's tool for figuring out when to burn the next planet

These are not necessarily must haves, but they add fun functionality without transforming the game too far from stock:

KIS/KAS - kerbal inventories and attaching things in space. Makes EVA's have a bit more purpose, such as refuelling ships in flight with attachable pipes. You can also get Surface Experiments Package, which is a delightful collection of kerbal packable hardware that you set up to earn a bit of science. Makes going planetside more involved than simply planting a flag.

SCANSat - makes scanning and mapping planetary bodies actually have a purpose.

Action Groups Extended - more useful action groups, including editing action groups whilst in space

For visual enhancements, this guide pretty much covers it. There are alternative texture packs but EVE/SVE is pretty good IMO and doesn't rape frames too badly.

The rest is up to you - parts packs such as SpaceY, the Near Future collection, Stockalike Station Parts and B9 Aerospace are all good quality and fill in a number of gaps in the parts list whilst remaining mostly stockalike. Everything I've listed should be available on CKAN for easy installation/updating and it'll automatically grab any dependencies I've missed.

I'm currently playing with all of the above plus TAC Life Support and the Community Tech Tree, which integrates a lot of these mods into an extended tech tree so the more advanced stuff takes a shed load of science before you unlock it.

Next version is gonna be 1.5, meaning RSS + mods will be updated to 1.4.5 \o/ That, in turn, means that I won't have to compile all these mods myself against 1.4.5, as I did with 1.4.3 = Happy me

In regards to mods, I use MechJeb for delta-v readouts as well as all the flight information I could ever want (No need for KER), as well as all my manouvering node creation/excecution needs. If you're comfortable enough to not do ALL the basic tasks when launching rockets, and have an understanding of why a launch might fail, but not quite versed enough to build your own launch programs yet (kOS), MJ will do just fine. I'd probably say, that the most informational mods you can get are KAC and MJ, as MJ incorporates a lot of functionality, that other mods have, such as precise manouver node editing and planning of transfer windows.

You can also create your own custom readout panels with MJ, to get all kinds of information from dynamic pressure, delta-v loss from drag during ascent, Mach-readout, different kinds of TWR(Local TWR, Throttle TWR, etc.) and so on.

I'd also say, that Strategia is a very awesome mod, if you're looking into a mode adverse experience in regards to the overall strategies of your space program, as well as Contract Configurator to get more diversified contracts and the ability to toggle some of the more boring stock ones (Like saving stranded Kerbals all the time).

Above lists are p. good, if I were going with a minimalist approach MechJeb would def. be the one quality of life improvement I'd want on my desert island, though it does technically add two parts to your inventory so from a purist's perspective it wouldn't work, but honestly I think it'd be worth it. And while you can get a ton of readout info with it, I prefer the cleanliness of the Kerbal Engineer Redux huds. KAS/KIS can be nice but they can also be glitchy. SCANsat adds an actually interesting dimension to probes, and the maps it generates are super useful through the whole game, but it would add another three parts.

For visual packs, SVE is the standard for a reason, but I've been using Spectra which is itself a sort of greatest hits compilation that is also v. easy on system resources.

Last edited by Ruri; August 11 2018 at 08:50:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

I've been messing around with rockets again and happened to notice a new mod that just got released - ReStocked. Basically a team of 6 or so modders decided to reskin 90% of the stock rocket parts (they essentially didn't touch the plane parts because they're in much better shape than the rocket parts) and do a better job of it than Squad, and it's bloody gorgeous. 150+ reskinned parts, plus a sister mod that adds a bunch of parts that are sort of missing from the stock lineup. I recommend checking it out if you like pretty rockets and use stock parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eranziel View Post
    I've been messing around with rockets again and happened to notice a new mod that just got released - ReStocked. Basically a team of 6 or so modders decided to reskin 90% of the stock rocket parts (they essentially didn't touch the plane parts because they're in much better shape than the rocket parts) and do a better job of it than Squad, and it's bloody gorgeous. 150+ reskinned parts, plus a sister mod that adds a bunch of parts that are sort of missing from the stock lineup. I recommend checking it out if you like pretty rockets and use stock parts.
    Better than the current round of reskins they're releasing as a part of the base game? Because squad has been doing that quite a bit recently.

Ass ass ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eranziel View Post
    Better than the current round of reskins they're releasing as a part of the base game? Because squad has been doing that quite a bit recently.
    IMHO, yes, by far. It's both impressive and a little frustrating that they've outdone Squad, lol.

Here's a sort-of review vid, he shows a bunch of the reskinned parts.

Yeah ok those engines are really nice.

Ass ass ass.

Confirming Restock and Restock+ are good. Skwod's reskins look rather pale by comparison.

Also updated Scatterer graphics enhancement is very pretty.

Obligatory screenshot tax:

BDB MOL

I've not played this for a while and am thinking of trying it again.
    Can anyone tell me what modding options are available for mining other planets for fuel? (assuming that's not in vanilla yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Netjerenbau View Post
    Can anyone tell me what modding options are available for mining other planets for fuel? (assuming that's not in vanilla yet)
    That's in stock m8. Drills, scanners, converters, all of it.

Ass ass ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Netjerenbau View Post
    That's in stock m8. Drills, scanners, converters, all of it.
    Thanks, I'll have a go this weekend.

Stock has ore scanning, drills and converters to turn it into fuel. Useful for making refuel bases around Minmus for big interplanetary ships.

Then of course there are several different mods depending on how complex you want to get with In Situ Resource Utilisation (ISRU). Some popular examples include:

Extraplanetary launchpads adds a basic production chain: turn ore into rocket parts and build stuff off world or in space.
    USI MKS (+ USI LS if you want life support stuff) adds a complex production chain to create material kits and other stuff to maintain an off world colony.
    Interstellar Extended is pretty complicated but adds some funky ISRU stuff to refuel deep space probes, including late game antimatter scoops.
    Wild Blue Industries Pathfinder - an alternative to USI with a different production chain and the benefit of being configurable if you want it to be less than utterly bonkers.

I also highly recommend ScanSat if you want to get into the ISRU thing. It makes planetary scanning with probes a thing rather than magic press button receive resource overlay. It also includes a biome scanner, which is super useful for hunting those precious science points.

Thought I'd share my latest adventures with you great people
    As usual, running a fairly modded playthrough with everything from visuals to parts to gameplay changes.

Milestones reached so far at year 11, day 330:
    Kerbin SoI
    Permanent communication network with 5 satellites in orbit around Kerbin (3 in Geostat and 2 in polar/Molniya)
    Permanent communication coverage of Mün and Minmus
    First satellite into orbit was Explorer 1
    First crewed spaceflight reached with suborbital Mercury-Atlas
    First crewed orbit, rendezvous and docking all reached with Gemini-Titan
    First generation MOL currently in orbit for extra science and relay
    Mapping of biomes via optical imaging, height map using laser altimeter and ressources via Radar surveying

Mün SoI
    2 Probe landings (1 Return)
    1 Rover landing
    1 Crew landing
    1 Permanent science equipment deployed at crew landing site
    Mapping of biomes via optical imaging, height map using laser altimeter and ressources via Radar surveying

Minmus SoI
    1 Proble landing (Return)
    1 Rover landing

Next up is an Apollo mission to Minmus to set up permanent science there as well (Launch in 10-15 days).
    Also doing my first ion powered science & mapping probes to the systems of Jool and Sarnus. (First launch in 40-50 days on top of Atlas V 411)
    Have to send a rescue mission to the first site on Mün (Left an engineer there) as well as setup science sites in new biomes.

Ofc as always, I have a ton of pictures so share with you
    Dating from the first suborbital sounding rockets, showing a couple of early planes and all the way to the latest mission (MOL & Minmus rover). I'm updating it regularly with new screenshots.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/mXeNl9o

Sidenote:
    I'm really starting to get hooked on the prospect of DSO astrophotography and will most likely pull the trigger on buying some equipment to get me started, within a month or two (funds allowing it, shit's expensive).

Dang brah, what's your modlist?

Ass ass ass.

Nice! I should get around to uploading some of my career pics. I'm using a similar modset for my current career. What are you using for those camera shots - is that Hullcam VDS?

I would highly recommend Coatl's Probes+ pack if you like sending probes. It supports ScanSat and complements BDB NASA stuff (and Tantares Soviet rockets) nicely

This is my Deep Space Science Probe - has a full suite of experiments and scanning kit. A little pricey and needs a Saturn M22 to get anywhere useful

Also BDB's dev version on Github has that Titan revamp, including the LDC

Titan Barbarian lobbing a Gemini Big G to somewhere out there

And a Saturn 1C for good measure.

Hnnngh Bamse. Modlist plix?

Dang brah, what's your modlist?
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Hnnngh Bamse. Modlist plix?
    So, I'll try to throw this down, mind you, it's a fuckton of mods @ ~170 (I really should move my KSP folder to my SSD) and it takes about 30mins to load the damn game

I do take my screenshots at 3x supersamling (SCREENSHOT_SUPERSIZE = x in the settings.cfg), meaning they're three times the actual resolution I run at (1920x1080 to 5760x3240).
    It's all running on 1.7, and I force DX11. This will sometimes lead to funky shit happening, but nothing gamebreaking as of yet.

Edit: I'm still thinking about throwing Principia (n-body physics) into the fray, but I haven't found any good configs for stock + OPM, so it's on the backburner for now.

Visual mods:
      Spoiler:
    TexturesUnlimited
    AdvancedTextures
    AstronomersVisualPack
    DistantObject
    EngineLightRelit
    EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
    HullCameraVDS
    KS3P (Config by Orbital_phoenix on KSP forum)
    PlanetShine
    PoodsOPMVO
    PoodsSkyboxes
    RealPlume
    RealPlume-Stock
    ReentryParticleEffect
    scatterer
    SmokeScreen
    TextureReplacer

Gameplay/Immersion/QoL mods:
      Spoiler:
    ClickThroughBlocker
    FilterExtensions
    Toolbar
    USITools
    ToolbarControl
    AJE
    AJEExtended
    AllYAll
    AnimatedDecouplers
    ASET
    AtmosphereAutopilot
    AutoAGL
    B9AnimationModules
    B9PartSwitch
    BasicDeltaV
    BasicOrbit
    BetterBurnTime
    BetterSRBs
    BetterTimeWarp
    BonVoyage
    CameraFocusChanger
    Chatterer
    ComfortableLanding
    CommunityCategoryKit
    CommunityResourcePack
    CommunityTechTree
    CommunityTraitIcons
    ContractConfigurator
    ContractPacks
    CrewLight
    CTTP
    CustomAsteroids
    CustomBarnKit
    DeployableEngines
    DMagicScienceAnimate
    DMagicUtilities
    DynamicBatteryStorage
    EarnYourStripes
    EditorExtensionsRedux
    EngineGroupController
    Extras (ModuleManager configs that fix various problems/balancing issues. Either wrote them myself or found on KSP forum)
    Firespitter
    FlightTracker
    FMRS
    FShangarExtender
    HaystackContinued
    HeatControl
    HideEmptyTechTreeNodes
    InterstellarFuelSwitch
    IrishmanIndustries (EPL - No More Production on Spacedock by theRagingIrishman)
    JSI (RasterPropMonitor)
    KEI
    KAS
    KerbalChangeLog1.1.4
    KerbalConstructionTime
    KerbalFlightIndicators
    KerbalKonstructs
    KIS
    KerbinSide
    KerbinSideRemastered
    KerbNetController
    Kopernicus
    kOS
    KSCExtended
    KSP-Fixes
    KSPRescuePodFix
    LightsOut
    LoadingScreenManager
    MagiCore
    MakingLessHistory
    ManeuverNodeEvolved
    MechJeb2
    MechJebForAll
    ModularFlightIntegrator
    NavyFish (Docking Indicator)
    Nereid (FinalFrontier)
    OPM
    OPM_FinalFrontier
    OSSNTR
    PatchManager
    PersistentRotation
    PortraitStats
    ProbesBeforeCrew
    QuickMods
    RCSBuildAid
    RealChute
    RemoteTech
    REPOSoftTech
    RetractableLiftingSurface
    ScienceParamModifier
    ScienceRelay
    SCANsat
    Solar Science
    SolverEngines
    StageRecovery
    Strategia
    SurfaceExperimentPackage
    TarsierSpaceTech
    TMasterson5TweakscalePatches
    ToadicusTools
    TooManyOrbits
    TrackingStationEvolved
    Trajectories
    TriggerTech (Kerbal Alarm Clock & Alternate Resource Panel)
    TundraSpaceCenter
    TweakableEverything
    TweakScale
    VanguardTechnologies (Ejection seats)
    WasdEditorCamera
    WaypointManager
    WorldStabilizer
    zFinal_FilterExtensions
    [x] Science!
    WildBlueIndustries (KerbalActuators & Snacks)

Part mods:
      Spoiler:
    AirplanePlus
    AviationLights
    B9_Aerospace_HX
    B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
    Bluedog_DB
    Bluedog_DB_Extras
    Coatl Aerospace
    Cormorant Aeronology
    CryoEngines
    CryoTanks
    DMagicOrbitalScience
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
    FarFutureTechnologies
    InternalRCS
    KerbalAtomics
    KerbalReusabilityExpansion
    KWRocketry
    NearFutureAeronautics
    NearFutureConstruction
    NearFutureElectrical
    NearFutureLaunchVehicles
    NearFutureProps
    NearFuturePropulsion
    NearFutureSolar
    NearFutureSpacecraft
    OPT_Reconfig
    PlanetaryBaseInc
    reDIRECT
    ReStock
    ReStockPlus
    SDHI
    SmartParts
    StationPartsExpansionRedux
    SurfaceLights
    TundraExploration
    TundraTechnologies
    UmbraSpaceIndustries
    UniversalStorage2

Ok, I thought that it was pretty impressive before I saw the modlist. No I'm kinda mind.blown.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bamse again.

Tbf, I might remove some of them, as I've rarely used them lately, and back in the day I used them because stock was kinda bad at making real-like rockets (Such as Delta IV) and for that I used KW Rocketry.. But nowadays I'm mainly using BDB for Titan, Atlas ICBM-derived, Delta, Atlas V and Saturn rockets, with reDirect for SLS-like and Restock(+) for anything I need to come up with myself.

Mind you, to get both KerbinSide and KSCExtended to work together, you have to install both, get in scene, launch a plane or such, and then remove what you don't want/need and move structures/trees out of the way to make them flush with the runway and other road-like stuff. It's fairly easy to do, once you get the hang of it, and I must admit I'm kinda proud of how I made my KSC look.

I just hope that CustomBarnKit will allow for adding new custom meshes when upgrading buildings, cause Omega's Stockalike Structures look soo damn good, and he's got a bunch of level 4 structures ready.