hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 131 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3181121128129130131132 LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 2623

Thread: Kerbal Space Program - Build Heaps Of Fail and Launch Them Into Space

  1. #2601

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,144
    Attempting to build a big minimus manufacturing base using USI and planetary base systems (the flat bottomed ones). I have all the bits in place including a karibou rover but can't for the life of me figure out the remote logistics thing. It'd be impossible to connect the mining outposts up over 2km. I've added QMs and stores to everything but can't understand what I'm missing. Anyone know how this is supposed to work?

  2. #2602

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    Attempting to build a big minimus manufacturing base using USI and planetary base systems (the flat bottomed ones). I have all the bits in place including a karibou rover but can't for the life of me figure out the remote logistics thing. It'd be impossible to connect the mining outposts up over 2km. I've added QMs and stores to everything but can't understand what I'm missing. Anyone know how this is supposed to work?
    I haven't built anything big using the logistics system yet, but I recall seeing a toggle in the right click menu of the relevant parts to turn logistics mode on and off. Do you have that turned on for all if the relevant parts?

  3. #2603
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    1,975
    Do your mining outposts have at least a Duna logistics module directly attached to them? That's how I got planetary logistics working for my moon base.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

  4. #2604

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,144
    The guide seems to suggest you need a Logistics module for planetary logistics, but can use a pioneer module or karibou rover as a local logistics extender (standard range is 150m, extended is 2000m). I'm trying to get the latter approach to work. Failing that I'll try the logistics module and just resort to planetary logistics.

  5. #2605

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,144
    This took altogether far too long to build but it now has a fully working USI production line with two mining outposts so I can finally build shit on Minmus very...very slowly.


  6. #2606
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    1,975
    heh, good old eva pipe connection base building technique.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

  7. #2607

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    548
    Pretty nice base nonetheless, well done.

  8. #2608

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,144


    Built a rather expensive Jool expeditionary boat. It had a lander, probes, asteroid miner, moon buggy, cryo chambers and enough survival to keep 15 kerbals alive and happy indefinitely. Got to Jool, accidentally moonshot around Bop and now floating off into deep space with insufficient fuel to get into orbit of Kerbin. RIP.

  9. #2609
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,400
    Sounds like you need to create a rescue mission. I am sure you can build something faster.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  10. #2610
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Sounds like you need to create a rescue mission. I am sure you can build something faster.

    Tapapapatalk
    You have time too what with the little kerbals having all they need to survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  11. #2611
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    1,975
    Ditch everything but the engines and life support? Assist off Duna? Wait a bunch of orbits to see if a small correction will bring you back to Jool?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

  12. #2612

    Join Date
    February 2, 2012
    Posts
    368
    Rescue missions are always good. Just remember you may need to rescue those guys too.

    Anyone know which mods do refining/refuelling these days? I keep meaning to get back into this but without that there's not much point in off-Kerbin bases.

  13. #2613
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Netjerenbau View Post
    Rescue missions are always good. Just remember you may need to rescue those guys too.

    Anyone know which mods do refining/refuelling these days? I keep meaning to get back into this but without that there's not much point in off-Kerbin bases.
    It sounds like he is on an escape trajectory altogether.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  14. #2614

    Join Date
    February 2, 2012
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netjerenbau View Post
    Rescue missions are always good. Just remember you may need to rescue those guys too.

    Anyone know which mods do refining/refuelling these days? I keep meaning to get back into this but without that there's not much point in off-Kerbin bases.
    It sounds like he is on an escape trajectory altogether.

    Tapapapatalk
    Solid boosters are insane outside of a gravity well. If he can jettison that nose vehicle he may be able to refuel it and send it back to the Kerbol system back-asswards.

  15. #2615

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,144
    I think I may be able to cobble together an escape pod using KAS. A small nuclear gen from the probe should keep a 10 man cryo pod ticking over and there's just enough fuel to push it all back into orbit of something useful where I can sort out a rescue from one of the bases on Duna or Minmus. I can keep the Kerbs in the freezer so won't need much in the way of life support. I'll have to abandon the rest of it though, which is a shame. The thing cost 5mill+ to build, which is a rather painful dent in the wallet. Hey ho, lesson learnt. Again.

    @Netjerenbau there's mining/refining/refuelling in vanilla. I'm using USI in this play through which has a somewhat complicated production chain, so bases take quite some setting up to get full production going with indefinite life support. For off world construction, you can use Extra Planetary Launchpads though it hasn't been updated for a while, or Ground Construction, which is about to get an update that adds orbital construction yards. USI also has some very neat modular base parts for making expeditionary outposts, which are pretty cool even if you don't want to use the Life Support bit of the mod.
    Last edited by friznit; July 17 2018 at 10:40:51 PM.

  16. #2616

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    I think I may be able to cobble together an escape pod using KAS. A small nuclear gen from the probe should keep a 10 man cryo pod ticking over and there's just enough fuel to push it all back into orbit of something useful where I can sort out a rescue from one of the bases on Duna or Minmus. I can keep the Kerbs in the freezer so won't need much in the way of life support. I'll have to abandon the rest of it though, which is a shame. The thing cost 5mill+ to build, which is a rather painful dent in the wallet. Hey ho, lesson learnt. Again.
    Well, you'll just have to build it again. But bigger this time, probably with some more boosters.

    In any case, please keep us updated. Sounds like it should make a good tale.

  17. #2617
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Netjerenbau View Post
    Rescue missions are always good. Just remember you may need to rescue those guys too.
    I think at one point I had more kerbals in space trying to rescue kerbals I had sent up to rescue other kerbals than were left on the planet.. Fun times were had by all and I got 90% of them back and the remaining were going to be rescued real soon we swear.. I ended up with an impromptu base on Minmus which worked out awesome because you can almost jump in to orbit from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  18. #2618
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    1,975
    Once you have the full tech tree unlocked, I found that a great consistent source of money was using the 100% science-to-dollars strategy, just put some labs up around some moons, send a runabout down to grab readings and keep the labs full of data (and scientists!)

    I'm sure you're also aware that using USI, you can mine up exotic minerals and return them to the KSC for a profit. I haven't tried it myself but that might relieve some pressure.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

  19. #2619

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,144
    Wasn't actually aware of that - good to know. I'm running the Tourism Plus contract pack which tbh is a little unbalanced - once you've built a space hotel/casino you can shuttle 40 tourists up in an SSTO for 1mill a pop so cash is rarely a problem after that. I might tweak the config to reduce that a bit, it's too easy mode.

    Rescue mission is on the way. I successfully cobbled together an escape pod of sorts with bits of the mothership, but the cryo chambers were too heavy. At least it's no longer in escape trajectory of Kerbol but I don't think I'm going to get there in time before the crew starve to death.

  20. #2620
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,668
    Can anyone recommend a suite of mods for a new Vanilla + playthrough? I want Vanilla but with quality of life / convenience / more, rather than an overhaul

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •