hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerbal Space Program - Build Heaps Of Fail and Launch Them Into Space

I suppose you could cut them a little slack since this isn't the first time a developer has been completely clueless regarding the concerns of the playerbase, CCP as just one example. They are an independent developer that may not have the kind of resources needed for professional community managers. That said, I was never interested in buying their game anyway. I played one of the versions with added custom fan content, and it was pretty neat, but what has been added since the mun?

Yeah the community management isnt the greatest, but keep in mind everyone is doing this shit on a volunteer basis. I don't know how closely you have followed the community but its got plenty of douche self-entitled people who sperge at every chance they can get, I suppose that is part of the blessing/curse of being so promoted on reddit and SA.com. And this bullshit has been the reason why alot of awesome modders have just walked away. We were fortunate that Nova Silisko came back after a sabbatical, but many like sunday punch have not and the game & the community as a whole is dimished for it. I guess alot of people dont understant what it means for it to be a "beta" game and expect flawless builds with no bugs or issues.
    And thats totally disregarding the people who keep posting mirriors & links on the forums & IRC for the full version

My point about them not releasing it on a torrent is that at this point someone has to create their own mirror or torrent to put it up for people to pirate, For some people that is too much :effort: to be bothered with. Where as if they had released a torrent I could just passout the .torrent file to everyone with no effort on my part. Like I said, its not that difficult anway, but I can understand their reason for doing so. As for PANDO booster, how much does that service run? Squad is 2 brothers working out of their house, & if EVE & LOTR are using it I cannot imagine it being cheap.

@Xiang: In the latest version they have released the first version of persistance. This lets you have multiple missions under way as well as making debris more realistic in that it doesnt just disappear but actually stays in the orbit it was left in, I've been trying to shoot down old stages with rockets to clean up some of the debris. Theyve also added the new plugin system that is really taking off with some neat shit, Animated landing legs & solar panels, Flight controllers, Nav lights, automated decent & even a working set of solar panels & batteries.
    Last edited by Straight Hustlin; March 8 2012 at 09:13:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Yeah the community management isnt the greatest, but keep in mind everyone is doing this shit on a volunteer basis.
    It's not "unprofessional community managers" it's that the developers have demonstrated through their posts that they're literally retarded.
    I guess alot of people dont understant what it means for it to be a "beta" game and expect flawless builds with no bugs or issues.
    Did you even read what me and Yllegarn posted? Technical issues aren't the problem, it's the refusal to even attempt implementing one of the many solutions proposed, despite having ~6 months to do so.

Where as if they had released a torrent I could just passout the .torrent file to everyone with no effort on my part.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpidcoe
    "butbutbutbutbut... then the pirates just need to exchange a several kb.torrent file instead of the multi megabyte program!!111oneone" --> Private tracker + authentication solve that (this is exactly how private torrent sites work)
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

I pre-ordered this last night, and I can get my rocket away from the earth but I struggle to have much fuel left over for anything. My first try actually I managed to go into the mun... by into I mean literally that. I hit it square on at about 3000m/s

I have a simple reason why I didn't buy it: paypal only. I have a paypal account that I cannot access anymore due to forgotten password / credentials and fuck calling customer service to get that fixed just for one game. And paypal does not like adding the same bank account to a second paypal account.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Izo Azlion View Post
    but I struggle to have much fuel left over for anything.
    Add more fuel!

:rocket scientist:

Didn't expect it to be that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    I have a simple reason why I didn't buy it: paypal only. I have a paypal account that I cannot access anymore due to forgotten password / credentials and fuck calling customer service to get that fixed just for one game. And paypal does not like adding the same bank account to a second paypal account.
    It isn't paypal only, you can pay on a normal card but it goes through them. Works fine, I have the same problem as you with that one

Quote Originally Posted by Izo Azlion View Post
    I pre-ordered this last night, and I can get my rocket away from the earth but I struggle to have much fuel left over for anything. My first try actually I managed to go into the mun... by into I mean literally that. I hit it square on at about 3000m/s
    The thing with the stock parts is that the engines and decouplers are *insanely* heavy. To make staging worth it, you need atleast 5 fuel tanks per engine before you see an actual benefit to staging. In fact its best to maximize the use of all of your engines as much as possible; for example, in the video I posted, you might notice that the rocket was designed in such a way so that even the engine in the final stage assisted during takeoff. Use fuel lines to you advantage; instead of having fullblown stages with engines that dont do anything until the stages below it are dropped, try to use drop tanks.

Also, you can actually get to the moon and back with command pod + 5 tanks + engine, but to get a decent lander setup going (atleast with the decoupler + winglet setup for pre-.14 versions) the weight gain due to the additional parts requires you to start having stages.

Wait, sunday punch stopped making mods & parts?

Fuck, his stuff was the only reason i had fun in KSP anymore. guess i'll stick to my "old" version.
    world of tanks derp gun world of tanks derp gun world of tanks derp gun

Tanks name = BS87
    Every other game = Kegger McManus

Quote Originally Posted by Skidrowpunk View Post
    Wait, sunday punch stopped making mods & parts?

Fuck, his stuff was the only reason i had fun in KSP anymore. guess i'll stick to my "old" version.
    Theres still plenty of awesome parts around. Theres a community mod called Nova Punch released under Tiberion that updates all the old Sunday Punch & disconninued Nova Silisko parts. It balances out their stats & changes around alot of the textures to make them match better. I also modified the Yawmaster from sunday punches pack into a RCS tank, ASAS, Fuel tank & RCS thrusters parts so it can actually function as a command module. Get it herehttp://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=4180.0

Some other awesome packs are,
    KW Rocketry - Big ass, extremely heavy & powerful parts. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=2680.0

Down Under - A nice blend of 1 & 2 meter parts + command modules http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=3362.0

brick mod - because who doesnt fuckin love legos http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=2740.0

Failcan - SpaceX Falcon 9 inspired parts http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=4604.0

RocktCo - Souyez Styled rocket & lander http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=4429.0

Industrial Flames - Based loosely on US rockets like the Atlas http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=3684.0

Nova Silisko's Current projects http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=6397.0

C7 Aerospace - Parts for Aircraft & space planes, Lots of very hand parts in here http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=5884.0

anyone still playing this ?

Latest version, has spaceplanes and such in it. They are derp. Have not managed to successfully launch one yet.

Also, there are now 2 moons

Quote Originally Posted by KathDougans View Post
    anyone still playing this ?
    Have they fixed their download servers yet?

Seeing them refuse to make any attempt at fixing the things despite a handful of great suggestions and then rage about the game being re-uploaded to piratebay pretty much killed the enthusiasm I had in playing it. Unfortunately I already gave them my money.
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

I downloaded things alright, so yes, I guess ?

Still playing this lots, they changed the website over to a new host and that fixed the download issues, I Downloaded 15.0 at 1.7 megs a second so its plenty quick now.

Kath: What trouble are you having with space planes? Theyre really tricky to fly because of how the atmosphere & drag is simulated atm. C7 is working on a new system for it which should make it alot more easy to use. But using the Space plane nose cone ASAS helps alot to keep it stable for now, and only use the fine controls when flying one. However once you start going over the speed of sound which is like 300 something M/s you dont want to try to maneuver much or you'll start flipping around.

Loving the new patch conics trajectory system, takes alot of the guess work out of doing lunar injections. Hoping alot more of the plugins parts get updated soon since they changed the plugin setup to something alot more secure so people can't make malicious plugins. But atleast mecha jeb still works.

Kath: What trouble are you having with space planes?
    Oh, you know, wings brushing the runway at 200 m/sec, causing things to break up and explode...

or control surfaces not seeming to have much in the way of authority, causing an inability to rotate off the runway...

or detaching the nosecone which parachutes to safety, meanwhile the rest of the plane manages to reach a higher altitude than I am able to achieve while the craft is in one piece...

just normal Kerbal type aerospace engineering

though, this is my first day at fiddling around with things with them

Theyre really tricky to fly because of how the atmosphere & drag is simulated atm. C7 is working on a new system for it which should make it alot more easy to use. But using the Space plane nose cone ASAS helps alot to keep it stable for now, and only use the fine controls when flying one. However once you start going over the speed of sound which is like 300 something M/s you dont want to try to maneuver much or you'll start flipping around.
    cool

I too had a huge problem with planes exploding on takeoff. As it is, using a keyboard is really not recommended since the controls react so rapidly. Hell, for a while I pretty much resorted to taildragger landing gear configurations just to avoid losing half my plane.
    Although once I realized you could trim the a/c (alt + w/a/s/d), flying got *much* easier. I usually take off by trimming the a/c to the required level instead of using direct inputs.

Fun free game starts charging its customers and becomes less fun, news at 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Went to the furthest away moon. Landing on Minmus is a bit trickier, the surface is a bit more uneven than Mun, it's not as spherical either.

Wondering if it is possible to construct a ship that can land on Mun, go to Minmus, land there, then return to land on Kerbin.

Started playing this again, wasting hours and hours on it.

Also somebody said this was in beta, toughed it was still on alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalif View Post
    Started playing this again, wasting hours and hours on it.

Also somebody said this was in beta, toughed it was still on alpha?
    its still alpha. they wont be moving onto beta stage untill all the features are implemented and it just down to polishing them.