hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: TMA; VPN

TMA; VPN

Any cheap free good ones or is it one of those things you gotta pay to not get all the viruses?

which one to get
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; December 4 2018 at 07:40:31 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

It's one of those things you pay for to not get crappy performance. I'm using a free version called Betternet on an android box. It works mostly fine during the hours I typically have use for it but evenings in general and on weekends in particular, performance varies. Wildly.

You get what you pay for.

I've never been able to find a free one that wasnt total garbage.

I use NordVPN. Their windows program is kinda meh but they have excellent tutorial for just setting it up in windows itself. Lotsa servers, speeds are great, service when i couldnt get their windows program to work was excellent. They frequently have deals where its 3 bucks a month for 3 year plans and some sort of refund option if you dont like it.

I have been using BTGuard for a while now, thinking about switching to NordVPN.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

You gotta pay for it to not be awful.

I'm using PIA and it's p great, they often have cheap deals. NordVPN as above is also a good one.

I use vyprVPN. Is pretty solid in terms of availability and performance (and I travel lots)
    meh

Free VPNs are all russian honeypots hth

I use PIA. Great software, good prices and it's almost always on offer.

PIA seems like the cheapes good one then and NordVPN as kinda like the standard good one then?
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Either is fine really. I've been using PIA for ages, speed's good and it works a treat. App is decent too, but like Nord you can do a manual config on almost any OS as well, just makes switching regions a bit more of a pain if you're doing it to get around regional content lockouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Penis In Ass
    MAX damage posting

Been using PIA for many, many years now. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Been using PIA for many, many years now. No complaints.
    Same, just resubbed for another 2 years.

Tell me about affordable VPN's for the Office? or workable alternatives to get remote workers on the domain with out spending 1/2 my week hand holding people to reconfigure connections they have broken.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Tell me about affordable VPN's for the Office? or workable alternatives to get remote workers on the domain with out spending 1/2 my week hand holding people to reconfigure connections they have broken.
    Windows as an almost not terrible built in vpn. Also look in to direct access.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Direct access requires win 10 enterprise though doesn't it? I spent a while getting excited by that as far as setting up a test lab before actually reading the minimum requirements. I guess they have done some work with their VPN server side as well as the Client integration I should have guessed, habits and expectations forged over many years tend to blind you to changes especially those for the better (forever Bitter IT tech).

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Direct access requires win 10 enterprise though doesn't it? I spent a while getting excited by that as far as setting up a test lab before actually reading the minimum requirements. I guess they have done some work with their VPN server side as well as the Client integration I should have guessed, habits and expectations forged over many years tend to blind you to changes especially those for the better (forever Bitter IT tech).
    Plus I read that they are not going to be supporting DA for much longer too, and even advised to not see it as a long-term option.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Plus I read that they are not going to be supporting DA for much longer too, and even advised to not see it as a long-term option.
    Yes it needs enterprise but it works back as far as Win7.

DA is actually really good (except for that one time your NLA node goes down) so it wouldn't surprise me at all that its getting pulled apart. Literally its 'best' feature is its a zero (user) config VPN that sets its self up before the user logs in, therefor all your group policy still applies and updates properly for road warriors.. I've used it in exactly 1 business and I really wish MS would have developed it a bit more and allowed pro windows to use it, because it works best in smaller distributed environments with say 1 or 2 people in a remote office than in larger ones that would normally have site to site VPNs.

We actually had a use case for a mining company as they would frequently need to put 1 or 2 people on a site while it was still being built and wanted them to have VPN over 3G (or usually worse) but the multi-billion dollar company cheaped out and got pro licensing.
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; January 22 2019 at 10:14:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I use NordVPN. Highly recommend it, been good so far. According to them they don't keep any logs. OSX version was a quick install and you have a few options like launching it on start, auto connect, kill switch if you can't connect through the VPN, etc. All stuff I'm sure is on the windows version too.

I am really paranoid about the kind of data a free VPN is getting. Do not recommend. As with anything else if the service is free you are the product. Anyone can swing 100 bucks for 3 years of VPN service.