hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 916 of 1029 FirstFirst ... 4168168669069139149159169179189199269661016 ... LastLast
Results 18,301 to 18,320 of 20569

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

  1. #18301

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    They've managed to cover this up well by getting the BBC grovelling about an interview held 25 years ago.
    The question is, what are they going to use to distract from Classic Dom's testimony next week? Can they maintain the outrage over the Diana interview for that long?

  2. #18302
    DerWish's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    UK to offer Australia tariff-free trade deal despite farmers' fears
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57198607
    When Liz was asked: why the UK is signing a deal, which is 8-10 times beneficial to Australia compared to the UK... there was no answer.
    What is the implementation period? 15 years? Bojo's or Liz's ain't gonna be here by then. Someone else problem, isn't it?

    This is also gonna set the date on how long the Eu's latest suggestion on how to ease the UK->NI checks gonna last.
    Last edited by DerWish; May 22 2021 at 02:00:02 PM.

  3. #18303
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    3,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    They've managed to cover this up well by getting the BBC grovelling about an interview held 25 years ago.
    The question is, what are they going to use to distract from Classic Dom's testimony next week? Can they maintain the outrage over the Diana interview for that long?
    Of course they can. The expressnever stopped dining out on her death ffs

  4. #18304
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,518
    The basic deal with the UK is the fact that the UK can't feed itself from its own production and hasn't been able to do so from the 18th century.

    In 2019 the UK produced roughly 55% of the food it consumed.

    So where is the other 45% coming from? Mostly the EU at roughly 25%, with Australia providing a massive 1%.

    So what the free trade deal is doing is mainly substituting Australia meat with meat imported from other sources. So the argument comes down to whether Australian meat is better than the alternative imports.

  5. #18305
    DerWish's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    The basic deal with the UK is the fact that the UK can't feed itself from its own production and hasn't been able to do so from the 18th century.

    In 2019 the UK produced roughly 55% of the food it consumed.

    So where is the other 45% coming from? Mostly the EU at roughly 25%, with Australia providing a massive 1%.

    So what the free trade deal is doing is mainly substituting Australia meat with meat imported from other sources. So the argument comes down to whether Australian meat is better than the alternative imports.
    Max, no.

    It is only about that UK can sign trade deals faster after Brexit.

    For the consumers, it's gonna be about which pound of beef is going to be cheaper: Australian or American... but they won't know which they are about to buy as UK is removing the mandatory origin labeling and ingredients from the labels. So you won't know if it's hormone treated or not.

    The other side of the coin is after the free trade deal with Australia UK's home grown meat is expected to go down significantly. Lowering that 55% self sustainability further by relying on a food producer from the other side of the world.
    Remember just recently there was an issue with a ship blocking the Suez canal.

    UK's local beef & lamb producers are going to suffer.
    At home, cheaper beef will dominate the market.
    Abroad, any meat product coming out of the UK will be suspect of containing sub-par Australian meat so UK's meat product EU export will suffer as well.

    <No offense intended. I know AZ has fantastic beef and you know AZ also produces extreme amount of hormone injected beef as well.>

    In other news:
    Why has nobody thought about checking the meat with vets?
    Just recently UK decided to fuck it and lower the standard where vets are gonna be needed.

    Yeah, it is fucked up. Ain't by chance half the cabinet is against the deal.
    Last edited by DerWish; May 23 2021 at 07:02:49 AM.

  6. #18306
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    4,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    The basic deal with the UK is the fact that the UK can't feed itself from its own production and hasn't been able to do so from the 18th century.

    In 2019 the UK produced roughly 55% of the food it consumed.

    So where is the other 45% coming from? Mostly the EU at roughly 25%, with Australia providing a massive 1%.

    So what the free trade deal is doing is mainly substituting Australia meat with meat imported from other sources. So the argument comes down to whether Australian meat is better than the alternative imports.
    The UK "domestic food to overall consumption ratio" is not uniform across sectors. The UK was "86% self-sufficient" for beef in 2019 (https://ahdb.org.uk/news/uk-beef-sel...acts-of-brexit).

  7. #18307
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    The basic deal with the UK is the fact that the UK can't feed itself from its own production and hasn't been able to do so from the 18th century.

    In 2019 the UK produced roughly 55% of the food it consumed.

    So where is the other 45% coming from? Mostly the EU at roughly 25%, with Australia providing a massive 1%.

    So what the free trade deal is doing is mainly substituting Australia meat with meat imported from other sources. So the argument comes down to whether Australian meat is better than the alternative imports.
    The UK "domestic food to overall consumption ratio" is not uniform across sectors. The UK was "86% self-sufficient" for beef in 2019 (https://ahdb.org.uk/news/uk-beef-sel...acts-of-brexit).
    The UK runs a trade surplus with Australia, mostly in financial services, pharmaceuticals, machinery and cars - while we send back agricultural products and metals. For the two way trade to expand something needs to be given on both sides. Being the UK the City and the financial sector is more important than beef farmers it seems.

    State of play in trade if anyone is interested atm:

    https://assets.publishing.service.go...2021-05-14.pdf

  8. #18308

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,794

  9. #18309
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Tories, 2019: "What a Socialist scumbag Jeremy Corbyn is for suggesting the state should have a greater role in running the country's railways"

    Tories, 2021: "Here's our plan for bringing the railways under state control"
    I mean, its brilliant politics and totally wrong foots labour, it's not as if charges of hypocrisy have done them any damage previously so why stop now?

  10. #18310
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,405
    Why is it that the tories can get away with that sort of hypocrisy I wonder?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  11. #18311
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Why is it that the tories can get away with that sort of hypocrisy I wonder?
    Because their voters are morally bankrupt and only vote in self-interest / out of a desire to punish people.

  12. #18312
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,405
    Yeah everything is the fault of individual failings

    Thatcher's greatest success is the single track thought process of the modern day liberal.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  13. #18313
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,125
    Yes mr "It's capitalisms fault" keckstrom it's me with a single track thought process

  14. #18314
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,405
    Interesting strawman you've built there.

    Have you ever considered why "their voters are morally bankrupt and only vote in self-interest / out of a desire to punish people" or what those attitudes might be a manifestation of?

    Because the logical conclusion otherwise is that either people think like that or they don't, and all elections are decided purely on that balance.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  15. #18315
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Interesting strawman you've built there.

    Have you ever considered why "their voters are morally bankrupt and only vote in self-interest / out of a desire to punish people" or what those attitudes might be a manifestation of?

    Because the logical conclusion otherwise is that either people think like that or they don't, and all elections are decided purely on that balance.
    People can change their minds and reprioritise their motivations

  16. #18316
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,405
    People can change their minds and reprioritise their motivations but they need access to information in order to catalyse that or to even realise why they have certain motivations in the first place.

    People aren't born tory voters, it's a learned behaviour created by exposure to information which sets their minds and forms their motivations.

    Any idea where this radical thinking might be leading? I don't want to rush you.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  17. #18317
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,125
    LAck of a viable alternative in a FPTP system with a weak main left party that doesnt stand for anything.

  18. #18318
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,405
    Ah yes, and when the main left party did stand for something that sorted all the problems with people's motivations for voting how they do.

    Let's take a step back, where do the general public get the information which forms their political opinions?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  19. #18319
    evil edna's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,167
    Oooh ooh I know this one! It's the evil news media!

  20. #18320
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,405
    The news media aren't 'evil' they just operate within a specific framework of competing interests which shapes their information output.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •