hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1017 of 1029 FirstFirst ... 17517917967100710141015101610171018101910201027 ... LastLast
Results 20,321 to 20,340 of 20569

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Pound at $1.0857. Parity by Wednesday, place your bets.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

They're setting everything on fire so the next Labour government has to deal with the fallout.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

If you are poor, it’s time to ask yourself: have you thought of simply being rich?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...dget-liz-truss

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    They're setting everything on fire so the next Labour government has to deal with the fallout.
    I can guarantee at least some of them have dollar investments and are making a fortune out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Pound at $1.0857. Parity by Wednesday, place your bets.
    'We'll put more money in your pockets by driving up the price of imports and turbocharging inflation' is going well then.

Also some bits snuck in but not covered - IR35 is being scrapped (it was implemented due to the tax dodges used by consultants) and marginal rate of taxing for landlords dropped because buy to let should always be profitable.

Nah, somehow this all will be losing labour votes.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Why are people blaming Labour instead of the House of Windsor? Lizzy signed off on this cadre of idiots.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Nah, somehow this all will be losing labour votes.
    Well of course, Labour did nothing to stop it after all.

Unfortunately that shit is not even going to be a sarcastic take for some.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

It turns out that Kwarteng's former boss has made a lot of money from the currency crash.

Utter conicidence of course.

I fear I may need to change my sig...
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    at least we're not Greece.

Actual Prime Minster Liz Truss revealed to be in a sado-sexual relationship with a handsome and powerful Energy Company.

It has been speculated that the PM might be into a bit of 50-Shades due to her near constant wearing of an “O” symbol or “day collar” as it’s known among purveyors of fun spankings. However this normally harmless symbol of bedroom play took on quite the sinister sheen when it was inadvertently flipped over revealing a tiny “Shell” logo on the back.

Professor of Bottom-Reddening at Oxford University, Martin “Subbyboi43” Ambull had this to say: “Look, if the PM wants to get all ‘Liz Trussed-up’ to a rack in her spare time then fair play to her. Actually makes her a more interesting person and randomly vibrating knickers might explain her weird-ass smile. However, and this is very important, there must always be consent in any BDSM relationship. So, Mz Truss’ efforts to facilitate an entire country to be dry-fucked by the energy companies ARE NOT OK. This nationwide sub-dom-gangbang attempt is upsetting and weird. WE DO NOT CONSENT, Prime-Minister!”

A spokesperson for Ms Truss had this to say: “It is frankly ludicrous that the ex-Shell employee Liz Truss is still getting ‘oiled up’, as it were. That sex collar, uh, perfectly normal piece of neckwear was merely a gift from an old boss. Boss in the job sense. The employment job sense. LOOK, THE PRIME MINSITER IS NOT IN BED WITH BIG DADDY OIL!”

When questioned about a big, oily handprint on the back of the Prime Minster’s dress the spokesperson responded: “Oh no, that’s nothing to do with it. Just Boris wishing an old comrade luck in his roguish way.”
    “Nothing seedy or sickening there at all.”
    technology can’t solve economic and political problems

I've heard several calls, upon the Queens death, to revisit the idea of reparations for all the harms caused by the British Empire.

Is there any domestic movement on this in the UK?

On that note, saw an interesting article on CNN today about an author and some seemingly well-researched books on the Colonial history and rampant abuses of the Empire.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/25/opini...gen/index.html

Has anyone here read these books, are they are worthy pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    None of any significance.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    I've heard several calls, upon the Queens death, to revisit the idea of reparations for all the harms caused by the British Empire.

Basically none, and the idea of choosing arbitrary historical events before the lives of anyone alive today and paying reparations for them but not other contemporary ills is frankly absurdly stupid. It's only become a thing in the US because there is so little social mobility or social safety net that only a mass transfer of wealth seems viable to actually undo some of the systemic injustice.

People should be paying reparations/compensation for the injustice they perpetuate TODAY, not what their great great granddad did to people who look a bit similar a hundred years ago. And there's tonnes we just choose not to validate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

Basically none, and the idea of choosing arbitrary historical events before the lives of anyone alive today and paying reparations for them but not other contemporary ills is frankly absurdly stupid. It's only become a thing in the US because there is so little social mobility or social safety net that only a mass transfer of wealth seems viable to actually undo some of the systemic injustice.

People should be paying reparations/compensation for the injustice they perpetuate TODAY, not what their great great granddad did to people who look a bit similar a hundred years ago. And there's tonnes we just choose not to validate it.
    It's a good job that nothing the british empire did still has repurcussions today tbh, otherwise this post would be cringe as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

It's a good job that nothing the british empire did still has repurcussions today tbh, otherwise this post would be cringe as fuck.
    Italy should be paying britain reparations too then presumably.

On that note, saw an interesting article on CNN today about an author and some seemingly well-researched books on the Colonial history and rampant abuses of the Empire.

I can tell you this. I am bit fed up with talks about reperations...money..money..money.

Many western euro countries, including UK and NL, have been paying reperations in the form of development aid to former colonies. Does that compensate for individual generation suffering no but does it mean reperations yes.

I will give a example. In 1975 our former dutch colony in south america called Surinam became 'free'. We made a deal for multi multi billion dollar aid over the next 50 years from then. 4 years after there was a military coup and our gov suspended the aid agreed upon as they did not want to support a military junta. I think that is fair.

When there was a new democratic gov after iirc 10 years we resumed the aid, inflation corrected. Also fair.
    In the last 7 years there have been outrage from Surinam that we need to pay individual reperations. I find that bullshit. We did pay and are paying yearly. You cant ask for $ for ancestors 4 generations ago.

If you make your country a shithole, like Surinam, 45 years after independence with dutch aid yearly thats on you not us.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post

I can tell you this. I am bit fed up with talks about reperations...money..money..money.

Many western euro countries, including UK and NL, have been paying reperations in the form of development aid to former colonies. Does that compensate for individual generation suffering no but does it mean reperations yes.

I will give a example. In 1975 our former dutch colony in south america called Surinam became 'free'. We made a deal for multi multi billion dollar aid over the next 50 years from then. 4 years after there was a military coup and our gov suspended the aid agreed upon as they did not want to support a military junta. I think that is fair.

When there was a new democratic gov after iirc 10 years we resumed the aid, inflation corrected. Also fair.
    In the last 7 years there have been outrage from Surinam that we need to pay individual reparations. I find that bullshit. We did pay and are paying yearly. You cant ask for $ for ancestors 4 generations ago.

If you make your country a shithole, like Surinam, 45 years after independence with dutch aid yearly thats on you not us.
    Have any Dutch banks or large companies made money out of Surinam, since independence? Or do Dutch lawyers and assets managers help the Surinam elite to siphon off billions? I think the narrative that, 'we gave them their freedom and loads of aid, yet they're still a shithole', is bullshit. Here's a story about one study of the cash flows:
    https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...rich-countries

However, I'm not necessarily in favour of individual reparations. Honestly, it is a non-story. A few extreme leftists call for reparations. The main point is to give people on the right or centre something to get upset about.
    Last edited by duckduck; September 27 2022 at 01:26:36 PM.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    A major problem with the concept is that it is, boringly, extremely complex and nuanced. Nuance does not get given time to be understood on a case by case basis. And so the aparrent binary options of "yes or no" are grossly unfair in different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    However, I'm not necessarily in favour of individual reparations. Honestly, it is a non-story. A few extreme leftists call for reparations. The main point is to give people on the right or centre something to get upset about.
    Thanks Corbyn. Again
      Spoiler:
    /s
    technology can’t solve economic and political problems