hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1011 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 1151191196110011008100910101011101210131014 ... LastLast
Results 20,201 to 20,220 of 20372

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

  1. #20201
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Ah AI, gotcha. As an aside, I think it's as radically different an economic system to any other as, say, capitalism is to a hunter-gatherer economy, even though I know people commonly refer to AI-planned and automated as a form of socialism. Far from being government-run or regulated by the people in any meaningful way, it would be highly technocratic, even theocratic in a sense.
    All non-market resource allocation with an empathetic view towards people's needs tends to fall within the 'socialism' catch-all.
    Speaking of resource allocation, what are your thoughts on the current energy price crisis and the gov's response? I'm guessing you still work at an energy firm.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  2. #20202
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Ah AI, gotcha. As an aside, I think it's as radically different an economic system to any other as, say, capitalism is to a hunter-gatherer economy, even though I know people commonly refer to AI-planned and automated as a form of socialism. Far from being government-run or regulated by the people in any meaningful way, it would be highly technocratic, even theocratic in a sense.
    All non-market resource allocation with an empathetic view towards people's needs tends to fall within the 'socialism' catch-all.
    Speaking of resource allocation, what are your thoughts on the current energy price crisis and the gov's response? I'm guessing you still work at an energy firm.
    I own a (small stake in) my energy firm now. We are making bank selling our generation on the spot market.

    The government is reaping what is has sown here - it didnt properly incentivise alternatives to natural gas and still doesnt. It privatised the grid and shouldn't have. It released strategic gas reserves and didnt replenish them in the low price era. It didn't force the switch to electric heating in houses through subsidy (it's trying to now through heat pumps - too little, too late). It's focused its renewable subsidies on one industry only as its the cheapest per mwh (offshore wind), without considering the coherence/correlation risk that creates (if its not windy, its generally not windy everywhere).

    As to what it should do? It absolutely can't let people face a doubling in their heating bill this winter (and it looks like that might be optimistic). It should immediately enter into derivative contracts with the energy suppliers selling them gas and electricity (domestic only) at a fixed price throughout the winter in exchange for guarantees on maximum profit margin re-selling that to consumers - i.e. fixed pricing. If gas and electricity prices drop below this level, government profits. If its higher, government picks up the shortfall in order to keep domestic households from dying.

    There should also be a windfall tax that is triggered not by level of profits but by a combination of level of profits and consumer gas/electricity prices - take a big chunk of profits if energy suppliers are making hay while people die, but don't punish well run businesses making outsized profits when prices are low and competitive.
    Last edited by Lallante; August 4 2022 at 10:32:18 AM.

  3. #20203
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Portugal, laaaa
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Ah AI, gotcha. As an aside, I think it's as radically different an economic system to any other as, say, capitalism is to a hunter-gatherer economy, even though I know people commonly refer to AI-planned and automated as a form of socialism. Far from being government-run or regulated by the people in any meaningful way, it would be highly technocratic, even theocratic in a sense.
    All non-market resource allocation with an empathetic view towards people's needs tends to fall within the 'socialism' catch-all.
    Speaking of resource allocation, what are your thoughts on the current energy price crisis and the gov's response? I'm guessing you still work at an energy firm.
    I own a (small stake in) my energy firm now. We are making bank selling our generation on the spot market.

    The government is reaping what is has sown here - it didnt properly incentivise alternatives to natural gas and still doesnt. It privatised the grid and shouldn't have. It released strategic gas reserves and didnt replenish them in the low price era. It didn't force the switch to electric heating in houses through subsidy (it's trying to now through heat pumps - too little, too late). It's focused its renewable subsidies on one industry only as its the cheapest per mwh (offshore wind), without considering the coherence/correlation risk that creates (if its not windy, its generally not windy everywhere).

    As to what it should do? It absolutely can't let people face a doubling in their heating bill this winter (and it looks like that might be optimistic). It should immediately enter into derivative contracts with the energy suppliers selling them gas and electricity (domestic only) at a fixed price throughout the winter in exchange for guarantees on maximum profit margin re-selling that to consumers - i.e. fixed pricing. If gas and electricity prices drop below this level, government profits. If its higher, government picks up the shortfall in order to keep domestic households from dying.

    There should also be a windfall tax that is triggered not by level of profits but by a combination of level of profits and consumer gas/electricity prices - take a big chunk of profits if energy suppliers are making hay while people die, but don't punish well run businesses making outsized profits when prices are low and competitive.
    good luck with that with whatever cunt takes the top job next
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

  4. #20204

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Ah AI, gotcha. As an aside, I think it's as radically different an economic system to any other as, say, capitalism is to a hunter-gatherer economy, even though I know people commonly refer to AI-planned and automated as a form of socialism. Far from being government-run or regulated by the people in any meaningful way, it would be highly technocratic, even theocratic in a sense.
    All non-market resource allocation with an empathetic view towards people's needs tends to fall within the 'socialism' catch-all.
    Speaking of resource allocation, what are your thoughts on the current energy price crisis and the gov's response? I'm guessing you still work at an energy firm.
    I own a (small stake in) my energy firm now. We are making bank selling our generation on the spot market.

    The government is reaping what is has sown here - it didnt properly incentivise alternatives to natural gas and still doesnt. It privatised the grid and shouldn't have. It released strategic gas reserves and didnt replenish them in the low price era. It didn't force the switch to electric heating in houses through subsidy (it's trying to now through heat pumps - too little, too late). It's focused its renewable subsidies on one industry only as its the cheapest per mwh (offshore wind), without considering the coherence/correlation risk that creates (if its not windy, its generally not windy everywhere).

    As to what it should do? It absolutely can't let people face a doubling in their heating bill this winter (and it looks like that might be optimistic). It should immediately enter into derivative contracts with the energy suppliers selling them gas and electricity (domestic only) at a fixed price throughout the winter in exchange for guarantees on maximum profit margin re-selling that to consumers - i.e. fixed pricing. If gas and electricity prices drop below this level, government profits. If its higher, government picks up the shortfall in order to keep domestic households from dying.

    There should also be a windfall tax that is triggered not by level of profits but by a combination of level of profits and consumer gas/electricity prices - take a big chunk of profits if energy suppliers are making hay while people die, but don't punish well run businesses making outsized profits when prices are low and competitive.
    good luck with that with whatever cunt takes the top job next
    I for one look forward to Lizz Truss' tax reductions! This hsall benefit myself immensely haha

    To bad if you are too poor that you werent even paying those taxes lmao, get gud amirite?

  5. #20205
    Mashie Saldana's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Peterborough, UK
    Posts
    1,393
    The latest fuel cap predictions are bad, really bad, another 110% jump in prices come January to what we pay now by the look of things which will make our monthly energy bill £840. It wasn't that long ago it was under £200 but when Green energy folded it went up fast.

    This better be the warmest winter since the recordings started.

  6. #20206
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    5,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    The latest fuel cap predictions are bad, really bad, another 110% jump in prices come January to what we pay now by the look of things which will make our monthly energy bill £840. It wasn't that long ago it was under £200 but when Green energy folded it went up fast.

    This better be the warmest winter since the recordings started.
    It's simply not affordable. Millions, if not tens of millions of people in britain simply straight up cannot afford this. It's as simple and straightforward as that.



    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

  7. #20207

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    The latest fuel cap predictions are bad, really bad, another 110% jump in prices come January to what we pay now by the look of things which will make our monthly energy bill £840. It wasn't that long ago it was under £200 but when Green energy folded it went up fast.

    This better be the warmest winter since the recordings started.
    It's simply not affordable. Millions, if not tens of millions of people in britain simply straight up cannot afford this. It's as simple and straightforward as that.
    Its disgusting tbh, there shoulkd be fucking cobra meetings about this shit.

  8. #20208
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Portugal, laaaa
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    The latest fuel cap predictions are bad, really bad, another 110% jump in prices come January to what we pay now by the look of things which will make our monthly energy bill £840. It wasn't that long ago it was under £200 but when Green energy folded it went up fast.

    This better be the warmest winter since the recordings started.
    It's simply not affordable. Millions, if not tens of millions of people in britain simply straight up cannot afford this. It's as simple and straightforward as that.
    Its disgusting tbh, there shoulkd be fucking cobra meetings about this shit.
    Why? So BoJo can miss them as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

  9. #20209
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,063
    The tories dont care. They simply dont care.

  10. #20210
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    5,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    The tories dont care. They simply dont care.
    It's to push it so WILDLY high that they can "settle" back to something obscene by previous standards.

    Also, cutting taxes and national insurance "to help with the rising cost of living" both does nothing to help those that need it the most, AND cuts public funding.

    The option it needs that won't be exercised is regulating prices.

    If the prices were regulated back to reasonable levels, you can bet EVERYTHING that the private energy companies would still turn a profit and definitely not leave.



    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

  11. #20211
    tulip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,295
    Change the legislation concerning war profiteering to include when foreign powers are at war but we're not, then watch prices get more reasonable whilst still somehow maintaining last year's profit margin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

  12. #20212

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,747
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    The tories dont care. They simply dont care.
    It's to push it so WILDLY high that they can "settle" back to something obscene by previous standards.

    Also, cutting taxes and national insurance "to help with the rising cost of living" both does nothing to help those that need it the most, AND cuts public funding.

    The option it needs that won't be exercised is regulating prices.

    If the prices were regulated back to reasonable levels, you can bet EVERYTHING that the private energy companies would still turn a profit and definitely not leave.
    But why would the Tories be so interested in maximising the profts of fossil fuel companies? I mean it's not as though any of them have links to the firms.

    Oh.


  13. #20213

    Join Date
    May 11, 2011
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    The tories dont care. They simply dont care.
    This. Sunak said if they don't do something they might be punished in an election, this is their only concern not that many will be pushed into debt and poverty. Fuck knows how he thinks we will get out of a recession when no one has any money to spend.

  14. #20214
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,373
    He'll have money to spend so why should he care about a recession?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  15. #20215

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    7,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    The tories dont care. They simply dont care.
    I'm not convinced this curent shower of fucks is even capable of caring, they are so entrenched within the pockets of the corporations the Uk has been sold to.
    image having Kwartang and Dorries turn up to your office asking if you could pretty please think of the voters.
    technology canít solve economic and political problems

  16. #20216
    Donor Pattern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,173
    Any chance £800 January energy bills with powercuts could force this government out of will we be forced to dodder on to 2024 for the next election?
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    at least we're not Greece.

  17. #20217

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    7,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Any chance £800 January energy bills with powercuts could force this government out of will we be forced to dodder on to 2024 for the next election?
    > Well, you see. in these difficult times we are doing everything possible, but lets not forget it's the Labor government of 1811 who caused this.
    technology canít solve economic and political problems

  18. #20218

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Any chance £800 January energy bills with powercuts could force this government out of will we be forced to dodder on to 2024 for the next election?
    There's no mechanism for removing them short of a revolution.

    And you're assuming they won't win in '24.

  19. #20219
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,373
    The British media have essentially totally destroyed any sense of political imagination among the population. It's been totally replaced by a mysterious fear of politics which empowers anybody other than the private school educated upper middle classes. That's why you see the usual coffee shop chattering classes defecting to the lib dems who have absolutely no political identity beyond pretending to not be tories.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  20. #20220
    Donor Pattern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    The British media have essentially totally destroyed any sense of political imagination among the population. It's been totally replaced by a mysterious fear of politics which empowers anybody other than the private school educated upper middle classes. That's why you see the usual coffee shop chattering classes defecting to the lib dems who have absolutely no political identity beyond pretending to not be tories.
    Which is ironic considering who our next PM will (likely) be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    at least we're not Greece.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •