hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 311 of 443 FirstFirst ... 211261301308309310311312313314321361411 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,220 of 8842

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    1922 statement:

The prime minister is determined to secure our departure from the European Union and is devoting her efforts to securing the 2nd reading of the withdrawal agreement bill in the week commencing 3rd June 2019 and the passage of that bill and the consequent departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union by the summer.

We have agreed that she and I will meet following the 2nd reading of the bill to agree a timetable for the election of a new leader of the Conservative and Unionist party.
    So if it does get voted down she won't go. God she is retarded.

Probably all about (lol)legacy now for her
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    1922 statement:

The prime minister is determined to secure our departure from the European Union and is devoting her efforts to securing the 2nd reading of the withdrawal agreement bill in the week commencing 3rd June 2019 and the passage of that bill and the consequent departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union by the summer.

We have agreed that she and I will meet following the 2nd reading of the bill to agree a timetable for the election of a new leader of the Conservative and Unionist party.

That's not what it says. It says that the 1922 will mean with May following the 2nd reading of the bill to agree a timetable for the election of a new leader of the Tories.

It says nothing on this being conditional of whether or not it is voted down. Regardless of how it does, that conversation will be had. And it is pretty obvious that if then she still won't go, the 1922 will push her out.

L2R

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    1922 statement:

That's not what it says. It says that the 1922 will mean with May following the 2nd reading of the bill to agree a timetable for the election of a new leader of the Tories.

It says nothing on this being conditional of whether or not it is voted down. Regardless of how it does, that conversation will be had. And it is pretty obvious that if then she still won't go, the 1922 will push her out.

L2R
    I thought that due to having already tried to oust her once, there is effectively a cooling down period in the mechanism to forcibly remove her as leader of the Conservative party? Am i confusing two different methods?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Here come the dark times.
    I thought we were already there...
    It can always get worse.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    1922 statement:

L2R
    I thought that due to having already tried to oust her once, there is effectively a cooling down period in the mechanism to forcibly remove her as leader of the Conservative party? Am i confusing two different methods?
    IIRC that specifically applies to the no-confidence thing. Any... private arrangement is a different thing entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Thank fucking goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Thank fucking goodness.
    We have agreed to meet to agree a timetable.

Inspirational.

1922 statement:

L2R
    Yes, after one (failed) no confidence vote, there can't be another one for a year. Those are the rules as they stand. By those rules, May is safe till December of this year. And 1922 doesn't want to change those rules, because: dangerous for the future, or some such. So they prefer, very much, to have an 'agreement'. Like they did with Maggy when the grey suits showed up. However, the call to change the rules has been particularly strong. Because May didn't, and doesn't want to do a Maggy.

So what I think happened in the 'very frank' discussion is that the 1922 laid down the law to May: bring your bill early next month, then, whatever happens, you go, so we can get a new leader (i.e., BoJo) by the time the conference rolls round late September, early October. Don't play ball, and we'll do it the hard way and change the rules, just for you, and that'll be your legacy.

May's gone, probably before June is out.

Now, if only Labour had some sense, they'd do the same for Corbyn. Ask yourself: how many more elections is he allowed to lose? This EU parliament election is shaping up to be a real clanger for the Corbyn/Milne clique. And Labour could have a new leader by the conference as well, and then, maybe, it can rebuild some of the mess Corbyn/Milne have left behind. Unfortunately for Labour: they don't have a 1922 committee; and the Corbyn cultists still throw a hissyfit whenever someone points out what a abysmal failure he is as a leader of the Labour party. So ... probably not.

The current polling has to make Corbyn become more flexible on on Brexit.

The biggest problem Labour face is making sure his replacement is a lefty and not an austerity lite stooge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

The current polling has to make Corbyn become more flexible on on Brexit.

The biggest problem Labour face is making sure his replacement is a lefty and not an austerity lite stooge.
    The biggest problem Labour faces is that the Corbyn cultists will never accept any other leader, and the Corbyn/Milne clique will undermine anything and everything to cling onto power. They'll destroy Labour before they'll give up control over it.

Destroying Labour is actually the only thing they've been good at ...

Well, that and bring unintentional comic relief: I read the Labour EU parliament election flyer ... laughed my arse off, frankly ...

The biggest problem is getting rid of him in the first place. CLPs and the NEC have been stuffed with Milne-ites, and given their hostility to Europe what otherwise moderate youth support they used to enjoy in the grassroots has deserted the party for the Greens or Lib Dems or nobody at all. It will take the deaths of both Corbyn and Len to undo the damage they've done.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    what otherwise moderate youth support they used to enjoy in the grassroots has deserted the party for the Greens or Lib Dems or nobody at all.
    Speaking of which

Yes it's comparing a GE to Euros, but only a lunatic could look at those numbers for Labour and believe sitting on the fence is sensible.

what otherwise moderate youth support they used to enjoy in the grassroots has deserted the party for the Greens or Lib Dems or nobody at all.
    Speaking of which

Yes it's comparing a GE to Euros, but only a lunatic could look at those numbers for Labour and believe sitting on the fence is sensible.
    It isn't. It never was. It became stale almost immediately after the snap election.

What is particularly interesting about those numbers for Labour, however, is that they're losing less than one third to Brexit/UKIP, and two thirds to Greens, Lib Dems, and other (SNP/Plaid no doubt) combined.

This clearly shows, as told so many times before, that the whole strategy for Labour to placate the leave voters by being ambiguous on Brexit is, and probably always was, a massive failure (if not a lie).

Even if you ignore the hidden (read: Lexit) agenda, at the very very least it shows a complete disconnect of the leadership (read Corbyn/Milne clique) about what is actually going on in their own party.

There can only be one outcome from this sort of willful incompetence: Labour heading for the dumpster.

(inb4: but what about Blair and Iraq! yadayadayada ...)

So maybe you will get your GE after the euro elections when the tories feel like they would get a majority!

1922 statement:

L2R
    Yes, after one (failed) no confidence vote, there can't be another one for a year. Those are the rules as they stand. By those rules, May is safe till December of this year. And 1922 doesn't want to change those rules, because: dangerous for the future, or some such. So they prefer, very much, to have an 'agreement'. Like they did with Maggy when the grey suits showed up. However, the call to change the rules has been particularly strong. Because May didn't, and doesn't want to do a Maggy.

So what I think happened in the 'very frank' discussion is that the 1922 laid down the law to May: bring your bill early next month, then, whatever happens, you go, so we can get a new leader (i.e., BoJo) by the time the conference rolls round late September, early October. Don't play ball, and we'll do it the hard way and change the rules, just for you, and that'll be your legacy.

Now, if only Labour had some sense, they'd do the same for Corbyn. Ask yourself: how many more elections is he allowed to lose? This EU parliament election is shaping up to be a real clanger for the Corbyn/Milne clique. And Labour could have a new leader by the conference as well, and then, maybe, it can rebuild some of the mess Corbyn/Milne have left behind. Unfortunately for Labour: they don't have a 1922 committee; and the Corbyn cultists still throw a hissyfit whenever someone points out what a abysmal failure he is as a leader of the Labour party. So ... probably not.
    The rules were completely different when Maggie fell though.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    So maybe you will get your GE after the euro elections when the tories feel like they would get a majority!
    I doubt it. By that time the polls will still look abysmal for the Tories, so they won't risk it.

Consider: Boris gets in. The remainers (like Grieve) will be in uproar. Might actually go through with leaving the party. What remains of the right-of-centre Tory voting block will drop them immediately. Boris might be popular with the swivel eyed loony members, but with basically no one else, especially not this block. At the same time, Brexiters will still clear out the brexit voters (why bother with the Tories when you have a charlatan promising you everything under the sun). So who's going to vote for the Tories then? In a GE they'll have their Lib Dem moment.

Ofcourse they'll fluff something like: can't do it now, have to get on with Brexit (sound familiar?), etc. etc. And then postpone a GE for as long as they can get away with it, hoping to turn the tide eventually.

No, I think that if there's a GE this year, it's not because the Tories will push for one. It'll be because the new Tory leader won't survive a vote of no confidence in the house.

And then the Corbyn/Milne clique will finally have what they wanted. Only, ofcourse, it'll be too late for Labour by that time. They're screwed as well (so might actually vote to prevent a GE afterall). Labour will definitely not clean up because of a Tory implosion, that's for sure. Not with Corbyn/Milne at the helm. Because another GE will be seen as (another) 2nd referendum on Brexit, and former Labour remain voters will abandon Labour for proper remain parties again. Because, you know what, after all that happened, if there is actually a GE, Corbyn/Milne will the still not run as a remain/2nd referendum party.

Because they're really that stupid ...

1922 statement:

L2R

The rules were completely different when Maggie fell though.
    They were, but, on this, it doesn't make a difference. Remember, Maggie won the first round ...

She could have held as well ..... but her nerve faltered. Imagine being under a Maggie government still .... oh wait. We are.

We all, collectively need to hold our political leaders to account .... or just blindly vote with our innate xenophobic instincts like the troll me ester, to try and get something that more aligns with our individual values ( no matter hole Base they may be).

Btw I think our whole county is pretty fucked to end up something akin to the US in grades of stupidity and tribalism eventually. We are,I.e the UK, so misaligned and ignorant of what is good for all we seem to vote only to what is good for ourselves with short term policies that do not take into account the future... basically we are all victims of our own hubris. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind gentlemen.

I may or may not be drunk at this point I time....
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegs View Post
    She could have held as well ..... but her nerve faltered. Imagine being under a Maggie government still .... oh wait. We are.

We all, collectively need to hold our political leaders to account .... or just blindly vote with our innate xenophobic instincts like the troll me ester, to try and get something that more aligns with our individual values ( no matter hole Base they may be).

Btw I think our whole county is pretty fucked to end up something akin to the US in grades of stupidity and tribalism eventually. We are,I.e the UK, so misaligned and ignorant of what is good for all we seem to vote only to what is good for ourselves with short term policies that do not take into account the future... basically we are all victims of our own hubris. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind gentlemen.

I may or may not be drunk at this point I time....
    Seriously, fuck spell check!
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.