hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 309 of 447 FirstFirst ... 209259299306307308309310311312319359409 ... LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,180 of 8924

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Johnny "I used to be a soldier you know" Mercer using a lot of words to say he thinks shooting civilians in the back is fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

About time you guys caught up a little

We've started to pardon people who execute prisoners

Johnny Mercer managing to be on the wrong side twice simultaneously. That's impressive.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Corbyn launching Labour's campaign for the EU today.

He's trying to make it about social justice, ignoring Brexit as much as possible.

He stacks up nicely in the Westminster tin ear competition ...

Gina Miller has Labour in the pro-Brexit column on her RemainUnited website ... urges voters to vote tactically by voting Lib Dem and the national parties instead ... not Labour.

Hahahaha ...

Europe should have just said no to an extension. This shit is never going to go anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Europe should have just said no to an extension. This shit is never going to go anywhere.
    They're rightly not interested in "punishing" anyone, let them do their thing. No need to make yourself the bad guy even more than you already seem basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    They're rightly not interested in "punishing" anyone, let them do their thing. No need to make yourself the bad guy even more than you already seem basically.
    The problem is though there absolutely are people in power in the UK that want to disrupt Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

They don't want UK to leave, ideally they want UK in with an updated idea of where it really sits in the pecking order. If they just wait long enough the UK will have to have a referendum and then probably remain. No one will ever try to leave EU again at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    They don't want UK to leave, ideally they want UK in with an updated idea of where it really sits in the pecking order. If they just wait long enough the UK will have to have a referendum and then probably remain. No one will ever try to leave EU again at this point.
    win-win.

Basically the Merckel approach to politics: no a little as possible, look good doing it, and it will sort itself out in your favour eventually ...

Unbelievable tin ear scenes in Chatham ...

Quote Originally Posted by Corbyn
    Who wants to live in a country stuck in this endless loop? What we need is a bit of understanding [...] Some people seem to look at the issue the wrong way round – they seem to think the first question is leave or remain, as if that is an end in itself [...] I think the first question is what sort of society do we want to be.
    Seriously? Let's just ignore the whole thing? That's what you're coming out with?

OK, you massive incompetent; I'll answer that question for you: I want this society to be one which remains inside the EU. That'll get this country out of this endless loop as well! That's why I will never vote for you and your party while you're in charge.

He used to be at least descent at this sort of thing, now he sucks at this as well?

Labour is soooo fucked with this guy and his clique at the helm.

At least the Lib Dems have a snazzy EU election slogan: Bollocks to Brexit. Anyone unclear where they stand still?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorjak View Post
    Except she does.

ChUK have said that they would back her in a confidence vote, and there's no way that Mercer wouldn't support her in one either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Unbelievable tin ear scenes in Chatham ...

Quote Originally Posted by Corbyn
    Who wants to live in a country stuck in this endless loop? What we need is a bit of understanding [...] Some people seem to look at the issue the wrong way round – they seem to think the first question is leave or remain, as if that is an end in itself [...] I think the first question is what sort of society do we want to be.
    Seriously? Let's just ignore the whole thing? That's what you're coming out with?

OK, you massive incompetent; I'll answer that question for you: I want this society to be one which remains inside the EU. That'll get this country out of this endless loop as well! That's why I will never vote for you and your party while you're in charge.

He used to be at least descent at this sort of thing, now he sucks at this as well?

Labour is soooo fucked with this guy and his clique at the helm.

At least the Lib Dems have a snazzy EU election slogan: Bollocks to Brexit. Anyone unclear where they stand still?
    For ten points, Barth, why has the subject of the European Union dominated British politics for 40 years? And why did so many people vote Leave in 2016 despite it previously being an important issue to an estimated 15% of the population?
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    For ten points, Barth, why has the subject of the European Union dominated British politics for 40 years?
    It hasn't. In fact, it's ludicrous to claim otherwise. It was only of any interest to a tiny minority of MPs, mostly Tory, though some Labour dinosaurs held a grudge as well.

For at least 90% of those four decades you mention, the UK's EU membership wasn't even a topic of discussion among UK politicians.

For ten points, Barth, why has the subject of the European Union dominated British politics for 40 years?
    It hasn't. In fact, it's ludicrous to claim otherwise. It was only of any interest to a tiny minority of MPs, mostly Tory, though some Labour dinosaurs held a grudge as well.

For at least 90% of those four decades you mention, the UK's EU membership wasn't even a topic of discussion among UK politicians.
    It's been of interest to a large majority of Tory MPs, because the party has been tearing its guts out over Europe for a generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

It's been of interest to a large majority of Tory MPs, because the party has been tearing its guts out over Europe for a generation.
    Not really. Even now, actual Tory Brexiteers in the house of commons number, what? 30 to 50? If generous. The house of commons holds 650 seats, 313 of which are Tory. So that's 10 to 20% of die-hard Tories. Please ...

OK, you now got a number of ambitious hangers-on and late-converts. Because they want to lead the party, and now need to be Brexiteers to do so, but those don't count. They certainly haven't been tearing the party apart over Europe for a generation or 40 years.

In reality, before the run up to Cameron caving to his party's fear of UKIP there was hardly a murmur even amongst the Tories about the UK's membership of the EU. Before that Brexiteer talk was all but ignored within the party. Club bore stuff, rolling eyes, etc. The last outbreak was with Major over the Maastricht treaty, and that was decades ago. And even then they weren't advocating leaving the EU.

This whole narrative about the Tories having been at their throats about leaving the EU is pure bollocks. The Brexit thing is a recent outbreak from what was a near dormant disease. I hope it's fatal, but let's not make more if it than it is. 40 years of infighting is plain ludicrous.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    i mean talking about the MP's thoughts on brexit is cute, but it isn't the MPs that voted en masse for brexit, it's the public. and a large amount of the public obviously have had concerns (misguided, and uneducated - but a portion of that blame has to land at the politicians feet) about integration/partnership with europe.

sadly (sort of not sadly, it's democracy at the end...) one PM was enough of a moron to let the people vote on it.

My point was more that the EU has been used as a handy catch-all scapegoat for the issues that actually affect people, or that they THINK are affecting them, rather than solving any of these issues. Wages aren't keeping pace with cost of living? It's because of all the immigrants coming over from Europe. Can't see a doctor? It's because of all the immigrants coming over from Europe. Schools are shit? It's because of all the immigrants coming over from Europe. Can't afford to do anything because of the money we give the EU. Can't sell good old fashioned British things because of the EU. Etc etc

We need to actually have a go at solving these problems, or we're just allowing the boil to fester, and if we remain anti-EU sentiment continues to dominate discourse, and if we do leave, we'll just move one down on the scapegoat list.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

Not really. Even now, actual Tory Brexiteers in the house of commons number, what? 30 to 50? If generous. The house of commons holds 650 seats, 313 of which are Tory. So that's 10 to 20% of die-hard Tories. Please ...

OK, you now got a number of ambitious hangers-on and late-converts. Because they want to lead the party, and now need to be Brexiteers to do so, but those don't count. They certainly haven't been tearing the party apart over Europe for a generation or 40 years.

In reality, before the run up to Cameron caving to his party's fear of UKIP there was hardly a murmur even amongst the Tories about the UK's membership of the EU. Before that Brexiteer talk was all but ignored within the party. Club bore stuff, rolling eyes, etc. The last outbreak was with Major over the Maastricht treaty, and that was decades ago. And even then they weren't advocating leaving the EU.

This whole narrative about the Tories having been at their throats about leaving the EU is pure bollocks. The Brexit thing is a recent outbreak from what was a near dormant disease. I hope it's fatal, but let's not make more if it than it is. 40 years of infighting is plain ludicrous.
    Yeah the thing is that the tories have needed the grrrEU faction for a majority since Thatcher's 3rd term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!