Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    So we have:

Tories - pro brexit - massive losses
    Labour - pro brexit - big losses
    Lib Dem - anti brexit - big gains
    Green - anti brexit - massive gains
    How about 'the others' and where they sit?

I'm not doubting that Brexit is a lost cause but council elections are often viewed as a bit of a 'protest' vote. Would be interesting to canvas amongst the indies for their views.
    I wasn't in a voting area but I know a couple of Brexiters who voted for independents. They can't vote for Tories or Labour because they are fucking up brexit badly, nor for Limp Dims or Greens as that is 'metropolitan elite' wank and anti brexit. Can't vote for UKIP as it's racist. So they had to go independent.
    I would like to see a survey of the independent councillors and their brexit stance. I would guess it's more or less a bell curve with pro and anti in the corners and a whole lot of non-committal milquetoast blurb in the middle.

Local councillors are usually voted for on the basis of local issues "I'll fill in the potholes etc" and brexit is probably by the by for many of them

Ultimately I don't really believe this is much of an indication on the nation's temperature as a whole especially since there were so many non voting areas and local councillors being elected on local issues
    Last edited by Paradox; May 4 2019 at 05:20:12 PM.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    milky toast

Too right

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

So we have:

I'm not doubting that Brexit is a lost cause but council elections are often viewed as a bit of a 'protest' vote. Would be interesting to canvas amongst the indies for their views.
    I wasn't in a voting area but I know a couple of Brexiters who voted for independents. They can't vote for Tories or Labour because they are fucking up brexit badly, nor for Limp Dims or Greens as that is 'metropolitan elite' wank and anti brexit. Can't vote for UKIP as it's racist. So they had to go independent.
    Local councillors are usually voted for on the basis of local issues "I'll fill in the potholes etc" and brexit is probably by the by for many of them
    I disagree on this tbh, the Tories tried to make it about potholes and (actually they are right in reality), but many brexiteers don't care anymore, its about giving the government a nice kick in the face. I know others that feel exactly the same.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

'don't know what we want, just want to complain' just about sums up the brexit stance tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    'don't know what we want, just want to complain' just about sums up the brexit stance tbh

So we have:

I disagree on this tbh, the Tories tried to make it about potholes and (actually they are right in reality), but many brexiteers don't care anymore, its about giving the government a nice kick in the face. I know others that feel exactly the same.
    Making it about council tax was a mis-step given that many councils have had to raise council tax by the maximum allowed several years in a row thanks to central government funding cuts.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    'don't know what we want, just want to complain' just about sums up the Brittish stance tbh
    FYP

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Overheard in the cashier section @ Ikea furuset, Oslo:

Cashier: "oy m8, you're British?"
    Customer: "Yeah, moved here just a few months ago"
    Cashier: "I take it you're a Brexit refugee, then?"
    Customer: "Yeah m8"
    Cashier: "Yeah, me too"

Well, we know what they will vote if we get to have ANOTHER vote on joining the EU

Is there anything going on with the Brexit at all? I mean, given that a more time was given to the Parliament, I'm sure they are actively debating and planning the next steps, right - with the government hard at work on drafting a plan that will pass the Commons? Or are we again going to see a repeat of the last time with inane voting and debates two days before the cliff edge?

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Is there anything going on with the Brexit at all? I mean, given that a more time was given to the Parliament, I'm sure they are actively debating and planning the next steps, right - with the government hard at work on drafting a plan that will pass the Commons? Or are we again going to see a repeat of the last time with inane voting and debates two days before the cliff edge?
    The conservatives and labour leadership are shitting bricks over how badly the local elections went and are looking to agree a compromised deal quickly between them. The problem is their MP's won't go for it, labour MP's have said they won't vote for anything that doesn't include a referendum and hardline tories have said they won't vote for anything which involves a compromise with labour.

So once again the party leadership is working very hard, ignoring if what they agree has a chance of actually getting through parliament. We'll be back at the EU asking for an extension in October.

The only way to break the deadlock is probably another referendum. The trouble is a referendum will split the ruling party and nobody can agree on how it should be worded anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Brexit's ghost will scare everyone come this year's Halloween.
    The spooky and scary old witch will haunt you again!
    Bruhahaha

The 40th anniversary of Thatcher becoming PM happened over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post

What's the opposite of having a celebratory glass of champagne?

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    pissing on her grave?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.