hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 307 of 355 FirstFirst ... 207257297304305306307308309310317 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,140 of 7095

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Your glorious leader speaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Corbyn
    Even at this stage of the results, we have won Trafford council and are making gains across the country, including Tory heartlands. Throughout the campaign, we have been putting forward our vision of a better society, and the need to end the austerity imposed on our communities by the Conservatives, along with the Liberal Democrats when they were in the coalition government.

As well as local issues, voters have been talking to us about how the Tories’ shambolic handling of Brexit is overshadowing everything else. We will continue putting our case for an alternative deal to Parliament, and we will put that case to the European Union, because Labour does not want to divide people on how they voted in 2016, we want to bring people together.

I congratulate all the Labour councillors who have been elected, and I am sorry for those who were not successful. We will fight and win those seats back and, whenever a general election comes, we are absolutely ready for it.
    Seriously, that's it.

No acknowledgement of losses, yet another case of tin ear about causes or meaning emerging, more dogged dismissal of reality, certainly no acceptance of any responsibility, just Trafford ...

Yup, lost control all over the place, but hey, we won Trafford, guises! W00t!

It's fascinating ... in a really sad, sad way that is ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Labour's net gains and losses haven't changed much in the last few hours (-82), but the Tories are now up to -760. The Lib Dems (+452) and Greens (+112) are still making gains.

So not a good set of results for Labour (yes Bart, I do admit that much), but this is pretty disastrous for the Tories.

82 councils still to declare.

Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    #savageaf

Time Team was shit, but that didn't stop him presenting it for countless years.

But he's just a sulky saboteur red tory blairite child murderer right? I bet he's even got Jewish friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Time Team was shit.
    Blasphemy!

edit: Checked local results. For all the talk of losses & gains, nothing changed here.
    Last edited by Lancehot; May 3 2019 at 02:28:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    Time Team was shit.
    Blasphemy!

edit: Checked local results. For all the talk of losses & gains, nothing changed here.
    That's the thing with FPTP - a lot of seats stay with the same party for decades on end.

That's the thing with FPTP - a lot of seats stay with the same party for decades on end.
    Good thing Labour's doing everything they can to stop any reform on that front then.

So these are council elections right?

It will or won't affect the make up of parliament?

If the trend holds, my analysis is the tories lost big, labor lost some and lib dems will be the new kingmakers next time you do elect you parliament if this trend holds.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

If the trend holds, my analysis is the tories lost big, labor lost some and lib dems will be the new kingmakers next time you do elect you parliament if this trend holds.
    Yes, no, maybe (but hopefully not - they would sell their souls for a 5p plastic bag)

Also worth noting - councils in London, Wales, and Scotland don't have elections this time around.

Time Team was shit.
    No, you.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

I'd now be willing to bet Corbyn and May are going to push through a half-arsed worst of all worlds deal next week just to get Brexit off the table.

As a Labour voter from Trafford im quite happy with the results. For all the difference they make. Local lolections.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Lib Dems 19% is still below what they used to get in local elections before the coalition, as I understand it, so one could risk getting too excited about it. Likewise, I think it's debateable if the Tory & Labour voters would be so quick to vote for 3rd parties/independants at a GE, assuming there even is a GE before Brexit is "resolved" one way or another. Also worth noting that, despite being decimated, the Tories still returned more councillors than Labour & Lib Dems combined.

edit: & lets face it, a lot of of those independants are really just Tories with different coloured ties.
    Last edited by Lancehot; May 3 2019 at 05:45:42 PM.

Don't look at absolute numbers - council elections are regional, not nationwide. This was a tory election.

So we have:

Tories - pro brexit - massive losses
    Labour - pro brexit - big losses
    Lib Dem - anti brexit - big gains
    Green - anti brexit - massive gains

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    So we have:

How about 'the others' and where they sit?

I'm not doubting that Brexit is a lost cause but council elections are often viewed as a bit of a 'protest' vote. Would be interesting to canvas amongst the indies for their views.

Assuming as seems possible that indies are former UKIP & other Brexit candidates, one could argue the losers are those still arguing for a compromise in what has become (& really always was) a binary choice. I read that UKIP actually did better than last year in terms of votes, but they fielded far fewer candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    So we have:

How about 'the others' and where they sit?

I'm not doubting that Brexit is a lost cause but council elections are often viewed as a bit of a 'protest' vote. Would be interesting to canvas amongst the indies for their views.
    I wasn't in a voting area but I know a couple of Brexiters who voted for independents. They can't vote for Tories or Labour because they are fucking up brexit badly, nor for Limp Dims or Greens as that is 'metropolitan elite' wank and anti brexit. Can't vote for UKIP as it's racist. So they had to go independent.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread