hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 300 of 709 FirstFirst ... 200250290297298299300301302303310350400 ... LastLast
Results 5,981 to 6,000 of 14179

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

  1. #5981

    Join Date
    May 11, 2011
    Posts
    602
    Not a good start in local elections for labour.

  2. #5982
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Weird how the tories are never held to any sort of standard though
    Both sides the same?
    Welcome to bourgeois democracy
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  3. #5983
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Not a good start in local elections for labour.
    That's what happens when you're all wishy washy and no one understands just what the fuck you represent anymore....

  4. #5984

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,872
    Local election results so far:

    The Tories are down 396 seats, Labour are down 79, Lib Dems and Greens are both up.

    Labour now control more councils than the Tories.

    Interestingly, a lot of the Labour losses seem to be in heavy Leave areas.

  5. #5985
    tulip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Interestingly, a lot of the Labour losses seem to be in heavy Leave areas.
    Brexit voters disenfranchised non-shocker, the traditional conservative vote may well will get split heavily in the euro elections too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

  6. #5986
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,638
    Boris Johnson on top form tweeting that he had just voted in council elections.

    The tweet was deleted when he was informed there were no council elections in London.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  7. #5987

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Boris Johnson on top form tweeting that he had just voted in council elections.

    The tweet was deleted when he was informed there were no council elections in London.
    Classic Johnson scenes, Jeff.

  8. #5988

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Chair
    Posts
    6,679
    Curious to see what turnout will be. I didn't vote.

  9. #5989

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,872
    Tory losses are now up to 442.

    The last time they lost 500 seats in a night was 1996.

  10. #5990

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,129
    You're barmy, they said. Labour fudging their Brexit position won't make a damn difference in the local elections. You're a crypto-Tory and Blairite for even suggesting such a thing!

    Tories (clear pro-Brexit): -426
    Labour (no one knows, currrently enabling Tory Brexit): -58
    Lib Dem (clear remain): +293
    Green (clear remain): +40

    And counting ...

    How's the fence sitting working out now, eh?

    Another election Corbyn isn't going to win.

  11. #5991

    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    2,743
    Apparently "we like Brexit too!" isnt exactly garnering results for Labour too. And to top it all off, they're reading a surge in anti-Brexit parties as people telling them they want Brexit done. I'm astonished anybody can possibly interpret Labour as anything but a Leave party now, but cognitive dissonance is a thing, apparently.

  12. #5992

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,872
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Apparently "we like Brexit too!" isnt exactly garnering results for Labour too. And to top it all off, they're reading a surge in anti-Brexit parties as people telling them they want Brexit done. I'm astonished anybody can possibly interpret Labour as anything but a Leave party now, but cognitive dissonance is a thing, apparently.
    You may recall Labour whipping in favour of a second referendum not so long ago.

  13. #5993

    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    You may recall Labour whipping in favour of a second referendum not so long ago.
    Ignoring how much that whip is actually worth, they're clearly angling to avoid a referendum if they get a deal that's remotely acceptable to their leadership.

  14. #5994
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,638
    Lots of libdem gains in places previously voting libdem, not much correlation with leave/remain votes. Libdems have always done well when campaigning on local issues, could be that voters are sick of brexit and localism has been winning.

    No idea what it says about Labour and remain tbh
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  15. #5995

    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    2,743
    Local elections tend to give the establishment a kicking and the opposition a boost, localism is only ever part of the answer. Last time these seats were contested, Labour lost 200 seats in light of the bad 2015 outcome, to go backwards from that is rather damning.

  16. #5996

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,129
    Really? They lost control of Wirral and Hartlepool, FFS. Labour even managed to lose control in Bolsover. Bolsover for crying out loud. It's supposedly a Labour stronghold! It's bloody Dennis Skinner's backyard! Labour -13, Tory +2 (!), Lib Dem +1, Independents +10 (!).


  17. #5997

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Lots of libdem gains in places previously voting libdem, not much correlation with leave/remain votes. Libdems have always done well when campaigning on local issues, could be that voters are sick of brexit and localism has been winning.
    The lib dems round my way, where they've taken the ward from labour, campaigned hard on brexit as part of a broader campaign that talked about protecting the rights of your local EU citizens and protecting your local services that probably employ thousands of EU citizens. It's a FOGB elephant in the room, you can't ignore it. Constructive ambiguity goes down like a lead balloon with remainers and leavers both, hence the loss of fucking Bolsover of all places.

  18. #5998
    Donor Pattern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Interestingly, a lot of the Labour losses seem to be in heavy Leave areas.
    :thinking emoji:

  19. #5999

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Really? They lost control of Wirral and Hartlepool, FFS. Labour even managed to lose control in Bolsover. Bolsover for crying out loud. It's supposedly a Labour stronghold! It's bloody Dennis Skinner's backyard! Labour -13, Tory +2 (!), Lib Dem +1, Independents +10 (!).
    And how did Bolsover vote in the referendum?

    Answer: 70.8% voted to leave.

    Do you genuinely believe that Labour would have held on to seats and councils in leave-voting areas had they been solidly anti-Brexit?
    Last edited by Rodj Blake; May 3 2019 at 10:09:27 AM.

  20. #6000

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,842
    I don't. As I said a couple of days ago:

    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    They've already shed those votes.
    And they're not getting them back for a good few years. The real risk is they lose all the other votes as well.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •