hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 756 of 768 FirstFirst ... 256656706746753754755756757758759766 ... LastLast
Results 15,101 to 15,120 of 15355

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

  1. #15101
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Blair, Clinton and all similar neolib "leftists and moderates" are the reason why we now have Trump, Brexit, LePen, AfD and other vermin.
    Please present an alternate timeline and why you think it's plausible.
    I can only speak for the UK, but all the appeasing of anti immigrant voices we did in the late 90s has led us to Brexit, so....maybe don't do that?
    You don’t think Blair’s failure to exercise the block on free movement that he was entitled to contributed significantly to the slight majority in favour of leave? I do. Especially considering the fact that France and Germany told the UK they intended to not exercise the block, and then went ahead and did the exact opposite after Blair formalised free movement for the Eastern Euro new MSs

  2. #15102
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,985
    Morally, that was a good thing. It's what came after that's what I'm talking about - perhaps more early 2000s than late 90s.

    The response to not enacting the block was the resurgence of the BNP et al, and the response from Labour was to ignore them and hope they would go away. Nobody was making the pro-immigration case, so the loudest voices talking about immigration were all on the anti-immigration side, which means they set the narrative. The discussions were centred around their demands - it wasn't a case of is immigration good or not, it was a case of how much immigration is acceptable, and once you try and chase that dragon, you've lost, because the loudest voices won't be happy until there is zero immigration.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  3. #15103
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,923
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Blair, Clinton and all similar neolib "leftists and moderates" are the reason why we now have Trump, Brexit, LePen, AfD and other vermin.

    In '80es Gordon Gecko was a villain, in late '90es and early '00s he was an inspiring role model for all.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    You don't think that years of Tory austerity might have had the tiniest bit of influence on Brexit, perchance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  4. #15104

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,043
    Lots of speculation that Johnson has finally realised that a second lockdown is necessary and inevitable

  5. #15105

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    7,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Lots of speculation that Johnson has finally realised that a second lockdown is necessary and inevitable
    Shame he's 2 months late.

    Today i learned that Chris Packham is even more of an absolute unit, and has a charity which is disrupting grouse shooting accross the UK. This is front page Telegraph news. Apaprently it's an Outrage.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  6. #15106
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Lots of speculation that Johnson has finally realised that a second lockdown is necessary and inevitable
    This is going to be really shit. I’d only just started getting back into a gym routine.

  7. #15107
    evil edna's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Lots of speculation that Johnson has finally realised that a second lockdown is necessary and inevitable
    Shame he's 2 months late.

    Today i learned that Chris Packham is even more of an absolute unit, and has a charity which is disrupting grouse shooting accross the UK. This is front page Telegraph news. Apaprently it's an Outrage.
    Based autist bird man

  8. #15108

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,043
    It sounds like the plan is to have a nationwide "Tier 4" lockdown from 5th November to 2nd Dec. Schools and universities will be able to remain open, as will takeaways and essential shops. Everything else will close.

    Announcement at 5pm today.

  9. #15109
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,215
    First it was 4pm, then it was 5pm, now probably not until at least 6.30.

    This government is such a joke.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  10. #15110
    tulip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    First it was 4pm, then it was 5pm, now probably not until at least 6.30.

    This government is such a joke.
    A child doing their homework on the morning it's to be handed in. Insisting it's already done but they just can't hand it in until later in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

  11. #15111
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,985
    Delaying an announcement about a delayed lockdown is amazing. It's almost an art installation in its own right.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  12. #15112
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Lots of speculation that Johnson has finally realised that a second lockdown is necessary and inevitable
    Shame he's 2 months late.

    Today i learned that Chris Packham is even more of an absolute unit, and has a charity which is disrupting grouse shooting accross the UK. This is front page Telegraph news. Apaprently it's an Outrage.
    I learned the other week from a gameskeeper that on the first day of the season, the posh places in the south send fuckinghelicopters at 80000 a day up to the peaks to collect the first birds to bring backto the finest tables. Absolute madnesss

  13. #15113
    Phrixus Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Queenstown, NZ
    Posts
    3,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    It sounds like the plan is to have a nationwide "Tier 4" lockdown from 5th November to 2nd Dec. Schools and universities will be able to remain open, as will takeaways and essential shops. Everything else will close.

    Announcement at 5pm today.
    ...and this is why it won't work.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  14. #15114

    Join Date
    July 14, 2013
    Posts
    2,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Subsidizing the spread of COVID19: Evidence from the UKs Eat-Out to-Help-Out scheme

    A total of GBP 500 million was spent to subsidize the cost of eating out in restaurant by up to 50% in the month of August. At the time, evidence of the likely spread of COVID19 in hospitality settings was already paramount. This paper documents that the Eat-Out-to-Help-out scheme, hailed as an economic cure for the ailing sector, may have substantially worsened the disease. The paper documents that the scheme had a substantial and causal impact leading to new 26 spatially spread out COVID19 infections in the weeks during which the scheme was active. The estimates suggest that the scheme is responsible for around 8-17% of all infections during the summer months and likely, many more non-detected asymptomatic infections, that may have substantially contributed to accelerating the second wave of the pandemic.
    Wait... they actually paid people to eat in restaurants, not just get carryout? Or take away, as it's called on that side of the pond?

    That is... just really, really dumb.

    Not that I'm in any position to talk, as the US sets international records for daily infections...
    Quarantined and loving life.

  15. #15115
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Lots of speculation that Johnson has finally realised that a second lockdown is necessary and inevitable
    Shame he's 2 months late.
    This is what I don't get about the "but the economy!" argument. Absent a working test and trace, lockdown is inevitable by delaying the inevitable you just ensure that it will be need to be harder and longer to achieve anything useful.

    The point of a lockdown is to get you time to implement a working test and trace or to contain an outbreak that has exceeded your test and trace capabilities to contain. The quicker you do this the less people infected and the easier it is to control.

  16. #15116
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Subsidizing the spread of COVID19: Evidence from the UK’s Eat-Out to-Help-Out scheme

    A total of GBP 500 million was spent to subsidize the cost of eating out in restaurant by up to 50% in the month of August. At the time, evidence of the likely spread of COVID19 in hospitality settings was already paramount. This paper documents that the Eat-Out-to-Help-out scheme, hailed as an economic cure for the ailing sector, may have substantially worsened the disease. The paper documents that the scheme had a substantial and causal impact leading to new 26 spatially spread out COVID19 infections in the weeks during which the scheme was active. The estimates suggest that the scheme is responsible for around 8-17% of all infections during the summer months and likely, many more non-detected asymptomatic infections, that may have substantially contributed to accelerating the second wave of the pandemic.
    Wait... they actually paid people to eat in restaurants, not just get carryout? Or take away, as it's called on that side of the pond?

    That is... just really, really dumb.

    Not that I'm in any position to talk, as the US sets international records for daily infections...
    Kind of.

    You were given a 50% discount on any eat in meal on Monday thru Wednesday. The discount was paid for by the government.

    Aside from it creating massive spreading events, it also did nothing to help the poorest in this country, but was quite nice for middle class families who eat out once a week anyway.
    Last edited by Zekk Pacus; November 1 2020 at 01:56:47 AM.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  17. #15117
    Varcaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15, 2011
    Posts
    21,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Subsidizing the spread of COVID19: Evidence from the UK’s Eat-Out to-Help-Out scheme

    A total of GBP 500 million was spent to subsidize the cost of eating out in restaurant by up to 50% in the month of August. At the time, evidence of the likely spread of COVID19 in hospitality settings was already paramount. This paper documents that the Eat-Out-to-Help-out scheme, hailed as an economic cure for the ailing sector, may have substantially worsened the disease. The paper documents that the scheme had a substantial and causal impact leading to new 26 spatially spread out COVID19 infections in the weeks during which the scheme was active. The estimates suggest that the scheme is responsible for around 8-17% of all infections during the summer months and likely, many more non-detected asymptomatic infections, that may have substantially contributed to accelerating the second wave of the pandemic.
    Wait... they actually paid people to eat in restaurants, not just get carryout? Or take away, as it's called on that side of the pond?

    That is... just really, really dumb.

    Not that I'm in any position to talk, as the US sets international records for daily infections...
    Kind of.

    You were given a 50% discount on any eat in meal on Monday thru Wednesday. The discount was paid for by the government.

    Aside from it creating massive spreading events, it also did nothing to help the poorest in this country, but was quite nice for middle class families who eat out once a week anyway.
    Amazing

  18. #15118
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Subsidizing the spread of COVID19: Evidence from the UK’s Eat-Out to-Help-Out scheme

    A total of GBP 500 million was spent to subsidize the cost of eating out in restaurant by up to 50% in the month of August. At the time, evidence of the likely spread of COVID19 in hospitality settings was already paramount. This paper documents that the Eat-Out-to-Help-out scheme, hailed as an economic cure for the ailing sector, may have substantially worsened the disease. The paper documents that the scheme had a substantial and causal impact leading to new 26 spatially spread out COVID19 infections in the weeks during which the scheme was active. The estimates suggest that the scheme is responsible for around 8-17% of all infections during the summer months and likely, many more non-detected asymptomatic infections, that may have substantially contributed to accelerating the second wave of the pandemic.
    Wait... they actually paid people to eat in restaurants, not just get carryout? Or take away, as it's called on that side of the pond?

    That is... just really, really dumb.

    Not that I'm in any position to talk, as the US sets international records for daily infections...
    Kind of.

    You were given a 50% discount on any eat in meal on Monday thru Wednesday. The discount was paid for by the government.

    Aside from it creating massive spreading events, it also did nothing to help the poorest in this country, but was quite nice for middle class families who eat out once a week anyway.
    Amazing
    Even more amazing is this will enshrine Tory Majority for the next decade too. Somehow.


    the only explanation is brain prions

  19. #15119
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,447
    classic nige is launching a(nother) new party - Reform UK, an anti-lockdown party.

    only source so far is telegraph which is paywalled - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...m-uk-new-anti/

    expecting a pretty good crossover between ukippers and people who don't care if other people die

  20. #15120
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,985
    Nigel Farage and Richard Tice, you say?

    Well, grifters gonna grift. In mildly positive news at least it'll split the Tory vote, although I expect the Reform party (presumably Change was already take...oh yeah the centrists) to do exactly what the Brexit party did and do a deal come election time to not stand in any Tory marginals.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •