hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 615 of 681 FirstFirst ... 115515565605612613614615616617618625665 ... LastLast
Results 12,281 to 12,300 of 13603

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    We gonna do anything to make working for the NHS less fucking shitty so all those British medics who went to Australia come back, then?
    The aussies tightened visa rules a few years ago so this isn't quite the problem it once was. Turns out being a foreign worker in a country still culturally rooted in the 1970s isn't all sunshine and happiness.
    It could be worse. You could be a foreign worker in a place still rooted in the 1950s. Like England.
    Last edited by Rodj Blake; April 3 2020 at 10:18:07 AM.

Here's a picture of Matt Hancock, mid-cough, during the opening of NHS Nightingale.

And in the least surprising news of the day, Starmer and Rayner are now in charge of Labour.

Keir Starmer elected Labour leader.

I reckon he's the best of the bunch, so as long as he can avoid fucking the pooch (and Momentum can stop enabling the Tories).

Wonder how the rona will affect things; on the one hand Boris and chums are busy, well, borising things up and it's abundantly clear who actual keyworkers are and how badly they're underfunded.
    However on the other, Boris is getting to stand at podiums and look all official in a time of crisis and the Great British Public(TM) love that sort of thing.

/e Dammit Rodj.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post

I reckon he's the best of the bunch, so as long as he can avoid fucking the pooch (and Momentum can stop enabling the Tories).
    Momentum will for the most part support him as long as he keeps his promises on policies and doesn't stuff the shadow cabinet with Blairites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post

Momentum will for the most part support him as long as he keeps his promises on policies and doesn't stuff the shadow cabinet with Blairites.
    ie: that he doesn't enact the same kind of purges that they did
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

When did Corbyn enact a purge exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

It's largely already done.

Momentum and Corbynism are done - amongst registered supporters, who are the group most like the electorate, RLB scored just 650 votes. She came last amongst the union affiliates. Whatever claim to moral or political legitimacy the movement had are long since buried. If they take this opportunity to sit on the sidelines banging on about blairites and centrists they'll spend another 40 years in the political wilderness.

It's almost like, contrary to popular belief, they weren't a majority of single minded cultists but instead generally a group of voters who simply wanted a Labour leader who would enunciate the differences between Labour and the Conservatives.

Starmer does that where others did not.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

It's almost like, contrary to popular belief, they weren't a majority of single minded cultists but instead generally a group of voters who simply wanted a Labour leader who would enunciate the differences between Labour and the Conservatives.

Starmer does that where others did not.

Shame, I wanted RLB in the end. Labour probably needs to die.

Why? RLB offered literally "what the last guy did, but not as good"... Starmer is good, his record on voting and human rights is exemplary

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    RLB, the third choice candidate of her own side. Really? She matured a bit over the campaign but she's hardly leadership material.

RLB, the third choice candidate of her own side. Really? She matured a bit over the campaign but she's hardly leadership material.
    I wanted her to win so Labour would lose the next election by a magnitude large enough to destroy the party so something new can take its place. Or something like that.

Starmer was definitely the best result for labour. Hopefully they might actually be a valid electable force now

I wanted her to win so Labour would lose the next election by a magnitude large enough to destroy the party so something new can take its place. Or something like that.
    Yes yes yes, let's let Labour collapse so Change UK The UK Party For Independent Group For Change can resurge and lose a load of deposits while generating a shit ton of positive column inches. That'll show the Tories!
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

I am happy with Starmer, would obviously prefer a further left candidate but Starmer could end up more progressive than people think (50% chance I reckon).

The first test he will have is juggling criticism and support with the current government towards the end of this crisis.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Yes yes yes, let's let Labour collapse so Change UK The UK Party For Independent Group For Change can resurge and lose a load of deposits while generating a shit ton of positive column inches. That'll show the Tories!
    It’s a two-party system. I don’t much care which party the other one is, but labour doesn’t have a monopoly on labour values.

But sure, you be you, zekk

So what would your putative new Labour look like and what policy positions would they have?

So what would your putative new Labour look like and what policy positions would they have?
    Mix of greens, Lib Dem and new labour ideology. Just repackage it - same positions, really. The Labour Party won’t win the next election and that will effectively waste an individual like Starmer, who is the best human capital the party has at the moment. I don’t really see the point in doing that l.

Perhaps that’s what David Miliband realised *shrug