hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 613 of 671 FirstFirst ... 113513563603610611612613614615616623663 ... LastLast
Results 12,241 to 12,260 of 13417

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I seem to remember a lot of Green candidates picking up non-negligible numbers of votes in battleground constituencies.
    One would like to think that a terrifying pandemic would get people's attention in re: maybe we need to start paying attention to the biosphere we live in?
    The opposite actually happens. No one has any headspace to think about anything beyond thiers and themselves. Expect another drift rightwards when sovereign debt crisis raises its ugly head again.

thanks for that cheery thought
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

We also have a political media culture which is incapable of imagining anything outside existing paradigms. Everything is economy and growth focused, the biosphere has become an abstract constituent of the spectacle despite it becoming materially more real.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

BrightHouse: Rent-to-own giant folds as coronavirus shuts shops
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52090976

Why does it always hit the best of us first?

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post

I honestly can't tell if that is sarcasm. From the article it sounds like the company got a lot of people into a lot of long running loans with a high ratio of interest to payments.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    I honestly can't tell if that is sarcasm.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar

I honestly can't tell if that is sarcasm. From the article it sounds like the company got a lot of people into a lot of long running loans with a high ratio of interest to payments.
    (sarcasm) Brighthouse are/were a fucking cancer

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

What's the betting that the administrators sell the credit agreements to someone equally scummy, rather than letting the customers off their end on the obligation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

no bet, the exploitation train doesn't have brakes, if you're using them, prepare your anus.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

What's the betting that the administrators sell the credit agreements to someone equally scummy, rather than letting the customers off their end on the obligation?
    Of course they will.

I work in debt recovery and we are still collecting rental arrears from old ladies who cant leave the house and
    pay.

Its fucked up.

One would like to think that a terrifying pandemic would get people's attention in re: maybe we need to start paying attention to the biosphere we live in?
    It's giving environmental scientists a lot of data to club the naysayers over the head with when the pandemic is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyken Touchon View Post
    It's giving environmental scientists a lot of data to club the naysayers over the head with when the pandemic is over.
    What a shame we live in a post-factual world now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

As if they didn't have it before lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    They did and it have convinced and continues to convince people of the importance. But, its also based on historical data (as well as new obvi) and that isnt taken well by a lot of people for various reasons.
    Being able to point to basically day fresh data and with actual pictures and not only graphs showing instant positive impact to environment directly caused by people dying will help further the agenda of the required mass extinction of...no...wait...I mean to say caused by people and corporations/industry not being out and about, flying and driving all over the place will help convince a few more and that is good.
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    They did and it have convinced and continues to convince people of the importance. But, its also based on historical data (as well as new obvi) and that isnt taken well by a lot of people for various reasons.
    Being able to point to basically day fresh data and with actual pictures and not only graphs showing instant positive impact to environment directly caused by people dying will help further the agenda of the required mass extinction of...no...wait...I mean to say caused by people and corporations/industry not being out and about, flying and driving all over the place will help convince a few more and that is good.
    Honestly any gains we're making now will be gone in a week after lifting the current restrictions. It's a drop in a bucket.

Yeah the data is good.

But the sentence - "do you remember during the pandemic when you could actually BREATH, you know, even in <metropolitan city of relevance to the audience>?"

That's going to be fantastic. I hope we use it to the fullest.
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

Quote Originally Posted by Yankunytjatjara View Post
    Yeah the data is good.

But the sentence - "do you remember during the pandemic when you could actually BREATH, you know, even in <metropolitan city of relevance to the audience>?"

That's going to be fantastic. I hope we use it to the fullest.
    Remember when flights were grounded because of 9/11 and then because of Mount Unpronounceable erupting? Remember how people looked up at the sky and marvelled at how great it looked without contrails everywhere? How did that affect subsequent air travel?

I don't know if it is just me but I really feel a difference in air quality, one thing is keeping the planes down another thing is blocking everybody at home and reducing traffic by 80% or so, and perhaps business buildings are keeping heating way down too. So I'd make a difference between pretty skies and this.

But I know, it's not going to be a big shift and won't last long. I just hope that a share of population remembers this when voting! Yes. Yes that sounds a bit dreamy. One can hope.
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

This is a lot different than 9/11, volcanoes etc as those were single incidents that, comparably, didnt kill or infect* that many and had limited global impact of how people moved around.
    Not saying it guarantees things will change at large scale once we are rid of this but personally I like to believe it will, at least to some degree and any degree is better than none.

*yes yes, it killed millions in wars and infected 'murica and others in other ways but you know what I mean.
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

The greatest gain (at least in Germany) for the environmentalist movement is the fact that up until COVID-19 happened, one major argument against implementing harsh regulations was "we will not turn in to prohibition society", suggesting that incentives will do just fine. aka "Free market will take care of it."

But now that we implement decree after decree on an almost daily basis, I'm really curious to see how the above argument stands. Add to that the mentioned data collected and it must be a no-brainer to react as fast and strict as with COVID.

... but I doubt it will happen. I expect even the opposite: economy is obviously down and needs lots of stimulus to recover = all that annoying hindrances like emission regulations will be thrown out of the window.