hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 501 of 576 FirstFirst ... 401451491498499500501502503504511551 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,020 of 11513

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

  1. #10001

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gergely_Magyar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    The Tories have posted a doctored video of Keir Starmer on Twitter. Dirty cheating bastards.
    This is low even by Tory standards. If labour did this could you imagine the papers the next day.
    New lows seem to be a daily occurrence these days. Starmer is probably the most palatable of all the potential PM's about at the moment, for me.
    Starmer is not at all a potential PM

    unfortunately
    Whilst Starmer has done a good job in his current role and is more photogenic than Corbyn, do we actually know his views on, say, the surveillance state? What about intervention in foreign wars? Taxation?

  2. #10002

    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    2,680
    IIRC they both voted for the Snooper's Charter, so we at least know where they stand on the surveillance state.

  3. #10003
    Dee Jiensai's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23, 2012
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Feels like the tories are taking a page from the Trump campaign, the constant gaslighting and trolling is proper catnip for the way news media is currently geared.

    Going to tune out of this BS for the sake of my own health.
    If you live in brexitland or trump-land I would seriously consider moving to some less insane country, like north korea for example.
    Don't worry, the UK will be ok. America is fucked, but idgaf.
    Tories will lose. Brexit will be canceled after another referendum is unable get enough votes for any one leave option.
    This will go into the history books as the single event that saved the western world from referendums.
    Also, will lead to some high profile legal action, which is drawn out and quietly dropped because it would otherwise end in treason charges. And that would look bad.

    Nazis/fascists will always exist, we just forgot about them, because so many of them had to lay low after WW2.
    Its fine, democracy can deal with 10-20% of them. Just keep on keeping on.

  4. #10004
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    20,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post

    Don't worry, the UK will be ok. America is fucked, but idgaf.
    Tories will lose.
    I wish I could share your optimism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  5. #10005
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    20,001
    Also, the ban on extinction rebellion protesting in London was been overturned by the courts. I assume this will raise some questions about the legality of some related arrests?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  6. #10006
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    16,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Feels like the tories are taking a page from the Trump campaign, the constant gaslighting and trolling is proper catnip for the way news media is currently geared.

    Going to tune out of this BS for the sake of my own health.
    And the large donations of Russian money.

    For some reason meesters don't feel threatened by that kind of foreign control of our politics...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  7. #10007
    Alun Cairns resigns in Ross England rape trial 'sabotage' row

    I really don't get this...

    He knew someone who testified in defence at a rape trial (this is some sort of 'sabotage')... and now his political position is untenable?


  8. #10008
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    16,704
    "knew" covers a spectrum of options though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  9. #10009
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Kador
    Posts
    2,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Alun Cairns resigns in Ross England rape trial 'sabotage' row

    I really don't get this...

    He knew someone who testified in defence at a rape trial (this is some sort of 'sabotage')... and now his political position is untenable?
    From the beginning of your link:

    A UK cabinet minister has resigned over claims he knew about a former aide's role in the "sabotage" of a rape trial.

    Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns denied knowing a Tory Welsh assembly candidate had made claims about a woman's sexual history in a rape trial in April 2018, causing the case to collapse.

    BBC Wales found he was sent an email about the case over a year ago - he said he only heard about it last week.
    It is a mystery.

  10. #10010

    Join Date
    November 6, 2019
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Alun Cairns resigns in Ross England rape trial 'sabotage' row

    I really don't get this...

    He knew someone who testified in defence at a rape trial (this is some sort of 'sabotage')... and now his political position is untenable?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50225606

    During questioning Mr England made claims that he had had a casual sexual relationship with the complainant.

    The judge in the case, Stephen John Hopkins QC, had earlier made clear that evidence of the sexual history of the victim was inadmissible.

    He went on to say to Mr England: "Why did you say that? Are you completely stupid?"
    Image copyright Reuters
    Image caption Ross England has worked for Alun Cairns in his constituency office

    Mr England said that he thought the question was about his relationship with the woman. Replying, His Honour Judge Hopkins said it was not: "It was quite clear what the question was".

    The judge then said: "You have managed singlehanded, and I have no doubt it was deliberate on your part, to sabotage this trial".
    So yeah sabotage.

  11. #10011
    Meester's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25, 2011
    Posts
    1,893
    Speaking of politicians who sabotage justice.

    General election 2019: Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson stands down

  12. #10012
    tulip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Speaking of politicians who sabotage justice.

    General election 2019: Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson stands down
    What shenanigans did Watson get up to? I only know him because momentum hate him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

  13. #10013

    Join Date
    May 11, 2011
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Speaking of politicians who sabotage justice.

    General election 2019: Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson stands down
    What shenanigans did Watson get up to? I only know him because momentum hate him.
    This is disappointing, he seemed a sensible calm moderate voice with all the ongoing drama. The timing is very interesting, it feels like a bit of a fuck you.

  14. #10014

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Speaking of politicians who sabotage justice.

    General election 2019: Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson stands down
    What shenanigans did Watson get up to? I only know him because momentum hate him.
    He did some good things on media regulation, gambling, and food. But he wanted the party to take a more centrist course and was allegedly often the "shadow cabinet source" that spoke out against Corbyn to the press and was involved in the plots to oust him.

    There was also the paedophilia thing where he was in the forefront of supporting the chap who alleged stuff and was later found to be a bit of a fantasist.
    Last edited by Rodj Blake; November 7 2019 at 08:36:28 AM.

  15. #10015
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    20,001
    Yeah moderate voices definitely have a lot of political capital at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  16. #10016

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,542
    Seriously?

    > Javid rips up long held Tory fiscal rules by vowing to spend 20B a year extra
    > In the same speech: criticises Labour for wanting to do the same
    > Then claims Tory approach is like 'night and day', because they have 'good reasons' for doing so



    Isn't it about time Tory voters admit that we're having a bunch of morons as a government now? I mean, seriously? How can anyone take this shit seriously?

  17. #10017
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    20,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    How can anyone take this shit seriously?
    Because they constantly get legitimised by the BBC and the press?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  18. #10018
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Kador
    Posts
    2,734
    The proletariat are easily led sheep.

  19. #10019
    Donor Shiodome's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    I am a white male.
    Posts
    5,350
    you don't lead sheep, you herd them. the literal opposite.

  20. #10020
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Kador
    Posts
    2,734


    Baaa, I say!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •