hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 965 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 465865915955962963964965966967968975 ... LastLast
Results 19,281 to 19,300 of 20106

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

I think of him more as a half-eel-half-weasel entity.

Here is the customary link to his Wikipedia entry with the equally customary recommendation to not skip the "Business ventures" section:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Shapps

Imagine being a member of a party that promotes this man to any position of responsibility.

I don't know what you mean, he's clearly a highly skilled grifter and perfectly suited to being a tory minister.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I think of him more as a half-eel-half-weasel entity.

Here is the customary link to his Wikipedia entry with the equally customary recommendation to not skip the "Business ventures" section:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Shapps

Imagine being a member of a party that promotes this man to any position of responsibility.
    The party of financial responsibility, everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

They only need to be perceived as financially responsible, which is quite an easy perception to create when the majority of the press have their interests served by keeping the conservative party in power.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

A prime example of truthiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Tories are economically illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoes View Post
    The government is planning to cut the earnings threshold at which graduates begin repaying student loans in a bid to save the Treasury money and push more young people towards cheaper vocational education.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak wants to overhaul student financing in his spending review ahead of next month’s Budget, reflecting Treasury concerns that the taxpayer is footing too great a burden of funding university courses.

Currently graduates start to pay back student loans when their salary hits 27,295, but ministers are looking to reduce that figure. “That’s the plan,” said one minister.

The Augar review of post-18 education in 2019 recommended the threshold be lowered to 23,000, median non-graduate earnings at the time, and the Higher Education Policy Institute think-tank this year modelled a cut to less than 20,000.

No final decisions on the new level have been taken, but one minister said a 20,000 threshold was considered to be “a bit low”.

A figure of 23,000 could save the Treasury just under 2bn a year, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, a think-tank, while a graduate earning the current threshold would have their take-home pay cut by more than 800 annually.

The Department for Education said the student loan system was “designed to ensure all those with the talent and desire to attend higher education are able to do so, whilst ensuring that the cost of higher education is fairly distributed between graduates and the taxpayer”.

It also said it was continuing to consider “the recommendations made by the Augar panel carefully”. Augar also recommended cutting the cap on annual tuition fees from 9,250 to 7,500 — such a cut would be welcomed by students.

Whitehall officials said the proposal to cut the salary threshold for repaying loans would give a boost to the government’s plans to revolutionise technical and vocational training in the UK, a key part of Boris Johnson’s levelling up agenda.

The government believes too many students are racking up debts studying “soft” three-year university courses in arts and social sciences, and is looking to funnel more 18 year olds towards technical training that is cheaper and will pay a faster economic dividend.

Gillian Keegan, the former skills minister, said before this month’s ministerial reshuffle that the skills focus sought to reassess university as the “default option” for post-18 study. “We want people to think about their options — it’s a big investment decision,” she said.

But cutting the salary threshold would mean millions of new and existing graduates would be hit with an effective 50 per cent levy on additional earnings in some of the lowest salary bands, increasing pressure on young people after national insurance contributions were increased this month.

Henry Parkes, a senior economist at the Institute for Public Policy Research, said lowering the threshold would be “virtually indistinguishable from a tax rise targeted at young workers alone”.

The National Union of Students, said it would be “totally opposed” to any reduction. “The injustice is simply astounding,” said Hillary Gyebi-Ababio, vice-president for higher education.

In England, the average debt on graduation is more than 45,000 in maintenance and tuition loans from the government, which are repaid with additional interest through a 9 per cent cut of earnings and written off after 30 years.

The government estimates 54 per cent of the money it lends will never be paid back, and it is eager to reduce this so-called RAB (resource accounting and budgeting) charge, which determines the proportion of the government’s loan book to be written off.

David Willetts, who as universities minister in the 2010-2015 coalition government introduced 9,000 tuition fees from 2012, is among those who support the idea. “I think the RAB charge is too high and I think they should lower the threshold so that graduates repay more.”

But forcing graduates to start repaying earlier, which would more than reverse Theresa May’s 2018 decision to increase the threshold, has emerged as a preferred measure, potentially alongside others.

HEPI director Nick Hillman said the option was better than alternatives, bringing “very significant” savings “without seriously harming on-the-ground services”.

Ben Waltmann, an IFS economist, said the government could alternatively raise money by increasing the repayment period, allowing graduates to pay more in later life.
    For those without an FT sub

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Tories are economically illiterate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

"How about we level up the country by making sure we totally remove all spending power from our young professional workforce"

Maybe the plan is to just level the country for now and campaign on having achieved at least half of their "levelling up" agenda - "now that we've levelled everything re-elect us so that we can do the 'up' bit"

I'm not sure it's particularly well thought out at all.

Saving 2Bil is peanuts compared with the hardship it would bring on new graduates. I'm lucky, when I moved from England back to Scotland they introduced legislation up here to reduce my student loans bill, and it went from around 80 quid a month to 20.

While I agree that something needs to be done to increase the value of University degrees, this is absolutely the wrong way to go about it.

It's the retroactive application of it which is fucking awful as well. We're already being hit with a NI increase and now this.

Graduates will be paying a 42.5% tax on everything earned over 23k. It's absolute lunacy.

It's the retroactive application of it which is fucking awful as well. We're already being hit with a NI increase and now this.

Graduates will be paying a 42.5% tax on everything earned over 23k. It's absolute lunacy.
    How did you calculate this?

20% basic income tax, 13.5% NI and 9% student loan repayment, at a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Labour are arguing over who can have a cervix. If they spent a bit more energy on holding the government to account and making the public familiar with their policies they might have a chance at the election. Instead they are wondering into the culture war elephant trap...again.
    Don't forget spending literally all of conference trying to push through rules changes about how the leader is selected.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Oh and don't forget a massive rise in energy bills we're all getting hit with.

I wonder how long the media will protect the tories while the cost of living continues to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Grant Schapps looks like an early prototype replicant.
    There's 2, him and Michael Green, although I've never seen them in the same room together...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-michael-green

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Grant Schapps looks like an early prototype replicant.
    There's 2, him and Michael Green, although I've never seen them in the same room together...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-michael-green
    Future Tory PM material right there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Here is a diagram on how the UK compares to EU countries in intermodal freight transport (from 2016 because that is the last year in which the UK is in these diagrams that I could find, the proportion of road freight volume has increased since then):