hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 729 of 750 FirstFirst ... 229629679719726727728729730731732739 ... LastLast
Results 14,561 to 14,580 of 14998

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    You remoaners should focus on the important issues, like how Rule Brittania will be sung...
    That song is factually incorrect as Britannia hasn't ruled the waves since some time in the last century.

...at whatever Last Night at the Proms is!
    It's an indoor Glastonbury for gammons
    I'm not sure why it's even an issue, other than a weak distraction from the government lurching from disaster to disaster.

The proms is actually full of interesting composers from diverse backgrounds. Calling it glastonbury for gammons is pretty unfair

That rule brittannia thing is a fake issue that nobody gives a shit about, not one activist ever wanted it rewritten or banned or whatever. Also this conversation is about a week late.

What's not a fake issue is that the UK after FOUR FUCKING YEARS can't decide on brexit, the debates that are happening today should have been finished in 2015. I'm livid with it. I still can't believe that the rights of both normal UK and EU-27 residents are being pissed away and it's not even done competently

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I can't believe people ever thought the tories would be competent enough to do Brexit in any way other than the worst.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I can't believe people ever thought the tories would be competent enough to do Brexit in any way other than the worst.
    Great but lexiters are also complicit

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    You remoaners should focus on the important issues, like how Rule Brittania will be sung...
    That song is factually incorrect as Britannia hasn't ruled the waves since some time in the last century.

i mean this is shit tier twitter group think - classical isn't my stuff at all, but the proms is stuffed with pretty interesting composers and arrangements. you're better than this lol

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

i mean this is shit tier twitter group think - classical isn't my stuff at all, but the proms is stuffed with pretty interesting composers and arrangements. you're better than this lol
    He should be better than this... when one starts decrying the apolitical cultural institutions of your home country maybe it's time to move to Burundi...

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Great but lexiters are also complicit
    Yeah to an extent. But the reality is the country has been fucked by middle englanders who vote tory no matter how incompetent they prove to be at governing.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

The Last Night of the Proms is not apolitical, neither is Land Of Hope And Glory or Rule Britannia.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    The Last Night of the Proms is not apolitical, neither is Land Of Hope And Glory or Rule Britannia.
    As far as mainstream cultural output goes it is pretty harmless as an expression of romanticised national unity. You could have the proms in a world without all the right wing bollocks prevalent in society at the moment.

What's kind of funny is that the past decade filled with right wing coups of various British institutions has led to a BBC staffed at the management level with white, upper middle class 'liberal elites'. This same BBC gives a hugely disproportionate airtime to the likes of Farage and other prominent right wing commentators (because of the retarded liberal interpretation of balance), then suddenly has an internal crisis over whether the last night of the proms is racist purely because there is no minority representation among them to give them any insight.

Then it gets subsumed into the general culture war the actual right wing are using to distract from dire economic conditions. It perfectly encapsulates the white liberal useful idiot phenomena and how totally incapable they are of achieving anything positive due to their complete lack of coherent societal analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

He should be better than this... when one starts decrying the apolitical cultural institutions of your home country maybe it's time to move to Burundi...
    So you're telling me that anyone who decries apolitical institutions is bad, and you want the prime minister to emigrate as a result? This is an exit from your usual line, or is it only possible to be apolitical if you agree with the one truth as per Larkonnis?

The Proms is, yes. Fully agree with you there.

But Lancehot was referring to the Last Night of the Proms which is always choc-full of patriotism and jingoism.

Last night of the proms is full of middle aged people who still firmly believe in Empire. You get looked at funny if you don't know all the words and haven't bought an overpriced miniature UK flag.

It was surreal and put me off going again.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar

But Lancehot was referring to the Last Night of the Proms which is always choc-full of patriotism and jingoism.
    it's not exactly attended by les and sue with their union jack out of the window...

it's not exactly attended by les and sue with their union jack out of the window...
    Willing to bet the majority of people attending voted remain, tbh. Because they're generally well off and wouldn't want to endanger their position.

The outraged party in this case are people that have probably never even watched the proms on TV, they were just told that people they agree with on the Internet and papers were upset about and so they were too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Can someone explain why we keep ending up back at the "UK not afraid to walk away from Brexit talks" narrative from government? What the fuck do they expect that messaging to achieve at home or elsewhere?

it keeps the saps who switched to voting for tory this time after just 2 previous entire governments of tory fuck ups.. Change was needed, you see.

Everyone who votes tory and brexit has brain prions that lead to convenient selective memory loss? That's my working hypothesis

Can someone explain why we keep ending up back at the "UK not afraid to walk away from Brexit talks" narrative from government? What the fuck do they expect that messaging to achieve at home or elsewhere?
    Well, it is less damaging than "UK can't decide what it wants and the negotiations keep being deadlocked, we will have a no deal brexit and everything will be fucked"

It's a handy government reminder to diversify any savings you may have into non-GBP currencies.

I'm far more worried about cash flow than savings.

I'm far more worried about cash flow than savings.
    Time to brush up on your arena fighting skills to earn those corn syrup sweet sweet post-Brexit food stamps