hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 815 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 315715765805812813814815816817818825865915 ... LastLast
Results 16,281 to 16,300 of 20106

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    *squeaky

Quote Originally Posted by indi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    What is surprising that this was a big deal in British newspaoers/media before the German media even bothered. And even now the press seems to care only because the British press cares.
    It's not very surprising IMHO. The British press has been looking for any excuse to stir up the "us vs them" way of thinking and to divert attention away from the failures of their own leadership/country. Instead of being glad that for once Boris' government hasn't cocked up something covid-related their eyes immediately turned to the EU to see if the UK for once has a lesser amount of misery (although I don't think the UK is winning that one overall tbh).

What the British press is largely ignoring is that the UK will also receive far less vaccines in the coming months than that Boris has promised. We're in this shit together, Brexit or not. AZ being unable to meet all their contracts in the coming months hurts us all.

The UK press desperately wanting to compete on stuff with the EU and the EU press largely being done with Brexit leads to very asymmetric press coverage to such matters in different countries.
    Both you and your wife are just as guilty of this to be honest. Everything you post is filtered through some bizarre EU proxy-nationalism.
    I don't mind an honest discussion about that, Djan. Everyone has a bias, however much you try not to have it. I try to stick to facts and figures, so .. please tell me where I strayed. Feel free to use a PM.

Personally, I can see many things wrong with the EU that really do need solving or its existence is truly at risk. Think of the way decisions are made (or not made), the issues with several member states regarding the state of rule-of-law there, etc, the sometimes insane red tape (Brussels - Strassbourg anyone?), etc. I also see what it brings and how it was before, as I am old enough now to remember border checks, random xenophobia and little exchange of knowledge, students, etc. We have become significantly wealthier as well, and yes, I also remember the before there.

Last but not least, if you want to leave, you want to leave. I'm not opposing that either.
    The EU, by its very design, can not react to a crisis fast enough and with enough conviction, to be helpful.
    It's fine, and even useful, when it comes to issues that are not time sensitive. But when you really need strong and decisive leadership, you never get it from the EU.
    Migrant crisis, Annexing of Ukraine, Global financial crisis, and now COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegs View Post
    The EU is not perfect by any metric, but for those of us in the UK, please remember that London is the money laundering capital of the world (and has been for over a decade). We're not exactly squeeky clean in any way shape or form.

edit/ autocorrect were - we're
    Right, nobody is saying we are.

Pirate Island is pure as the driven snow it snorts

The EU is not perfect by any metric, but for those of us in the UK, please remember that London is the money laundering capital of the world (and has been for over a decade). We're not exactly squeeky clean in any way shape or form.

Neither is the Netherlands...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post

er, ok?

er, ok?
    Just trying to say that pointing fingers won't get you anywhere. No country is without its faults or transgressions. Using others faults for your own bs is however ludicrous.

er, ok?
    Just trying to say that pointing fingers won't get you anywhere. No country is without its faults or transgressions. Using others faults for your own bs is however ludicrous.
    Right, but I haven’t pointed any fingers at the Netherlands.

No i did

Ohh right lol

Shows what you know about the netherlands were basically the best country on earth.

Until the ocean has enough of your wooden shoed hooker fucking and reclaims it

TFW the next Anglo-Dutch war is just gonna be who can die slowest to the merciless onslaught of the boiling acid sea

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Everything you post is filtered through some bizarre EU proxy-nationalism.
    Reality?
    Post Irony posting

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    TFW the next Anglo-Dutch war is just gonna be who can die slowest to the merciless onslaught of the boiling acid sea

boiling sea aint stopping us m8

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Yeah summers are definitely getting hotter in the UK. Last year it was 2 solid months of 30c+ temps.

British buildings are designed to hold heat and keep it as long as possible. One of the hotels I used to run regularly saw internal temperatures above 40c in the middle of summer on the top floor - it got to the point that we actually had to close the entire floor because it was unsafe.
    Anything to not install air conditioning units because fuck the customers innit

Retrofitting air conditioning to active hotels is ridiculously expensive, and that's BEFORE you get into the cost of having to take the entire floor offline while the work is done. The cost often quoted for that hotel (a 66 room 3 floor hotel) was well into the hundreds of thousands, and it's a budget brand.

It's an argument I had often with my boss, but one I knew I was always going to lose, I just had it for form's sake. If British summers continue to be what they have been, that company will probably change its mind eventually - if it survives which I honestly doubt given that they had to hand all their landlords unilateral break clauses or face a winding up petition.
    I agree it's super expensive, what I've been quoted here for one unit and install is around 500 whilst in the UK it easily would have run me 5 times that.

But the hotels and other establishments will need to take the hit at one point. Weather everywhere including the UK is getting hotter and hotter. And most likely those hits will be much higher in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar

Shows what you know about the netherlands were basically the best country on earth.
    While we are indeed objectively a happier country to live in than the UK you shouldn't discount the fact that we are also quite "good" at money laundering

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post

While we are indeed objectively a happier country to live in than the UK you shouldn't discount the fact that we are also quite "good" at money laundering
    shit plugs and shit hills though

Taking back control, in order to give it away again.

And I for one welcome our new Trans-Pacific overlords.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-side-of-world

Joining CPTPP has been a plan for a while and is not a terrible idea, but the benefit should not be overestimated, as membership would be incremental given that the UK already has trade deal with 7 of the 11 members of CPTPP (including the rollover deal with Japan, by far the largest party in the CPTPP).