hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 841 of 893 FirstFirst ... 341741791831838839840841842843844851891 ... LastLast
Results 16,801 to 16,820 of 17848

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    But to be serious if young black men in London make up 50% of the knife murder (and death) statistics despite being a tiny fraction of the population as suggested by the post earlier then when you're on a knife crime intervention task you are literally wasting resources if you deliberately try not to stop the portion of the population that are most likely to be victims or offenders ( carrying a knife make you much more likely to die by one too).

Unless many more people are carrying knives in the capital but are not getting picked up because they're not stopped and searched, but that wouldn't explain the murder rates being so uneven.
    Stopping and Searching purely by skin colour was ruled illegal. So, the police can still stop and search IIRC, but they can't disproportionately search black people.
    So instead they stop and search people of all colours who they suspect of being in possession of black curly hair and big lips.

But to be serious if young black men in London make up 50% of the knife murder (and death) statistics despite being a tiny fraction of the population as suggested by the post earlier then when you're on a knife crime intervention task you are literally wasting resources if you deliberately try not to stop the portion of the population that are most likely to be victims or offenders ( carrying a knife make you much more likely to die by one too).

Unless many more people are carrying knives in the capital but are not getting picked up because they're not stopped and searched, but that wouldn't explain the murder rates being so uneven.
    Stopping and Searching purely by skin colour was ruled illegal. So, the police can still stop and search IIRC, but they can't disproportionately search black people.
    https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....t#by-ethnicity

Good stats here.

Altho as Winston Churchill once falsley claimed to have said "Don't belive any statistics that aren't printed on blue ink with gold lettering"

I suppose they can just stop people in post codes that have the highest rates, but given the statistics the end result would probably still be a bunch of mainly white officers searching mainly black people. I'm just assuming there are areas in London of poverty and dis-enfranchisment that have relatively high populations of young black men that is powering those statistics, with an added layer of a positive feedback loop due to police presence probably being the only common contact with the state?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    There was also the very recent report about how a majority of forces were disproportionately targeting BAME individuals with stop and search and were unable to explain why. But I'm sure there's nothing untoward in that.
    "Copper's nose mate"

Murder isn't really a crime you can blame on 'over policing'. Lots of violent/gang/drug crime spills out from that...

Yes, it was. Which was why they're unable to explain why they're disproportionately searching BAME people. Because they'd be admitting to breaking the law if they did so. Stop and search is only supposed to be used in conjunction with intelligence, but frequently is used in a very blanket fashion.

Stop and search is at best a very minor deterrent to crime and it causes a shit ton of friction and other issues, plus it's resource intensive. I think the last stat I saw said that something like 6% of all stop and searches actually found criminal activity - that's not an impressive metric.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Tomahawk Steakhouse staff told 'loan firm 10% or face sack'

A restaurant chain has asked furloughed staff to loan the firm part of their wages or face the sack, a union claims.

Tomahawk Steakhouse wants employees to sign an agreement to lend 10% of their wages each month to cover their pension and national insurance contributions, the GMB Union says.

Staff who refuse have been told their "suitability for the role will have to be reviewed", it is claimed.

Tomahawk has so far not responded to requests for comment.
    So impressed I'm not even mad that a firm would try this. Assuming the staff are all on furlough is it even legal?

Yes, it was. Which was why they're unable to explain why they're disproportionately searching BAME people. Because they'd be admitting to breaking the law if they did so. Stop and search is only supposed to be used in conjunction with intelligence, but frequently is used in a very blanket fashion.

Stop and search is at best a very minor deterrent to crime and it causes a shit ton of friction and other issues, plus it's resource intensive. I think the last stat I saw said that something like 6% of all stop and searches actually found criminal activity - that's not an impressive metric.
    Very much agreed.

you wont make detective with that attitude

Don't worry I'm sure lall will be in here any second to let us know we can stop institutionalised police racism with the powers of demand side economics if we can just find a way to mobilise consumers into buying something which stops the police being racist...
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

It would seem that Fishy Rishi hasn't so much found the magic money tree as a whole forest of them.
    Last edited by Rodj Blake; March 3 2021 at 12:22:58 PM.

Its what it needs tho

i mean any eco that came out of reccess is a big borrow right

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    It would seem that Fishy Rishi hasn't so much found the magic money tree as a whole forest of them.
    ye it was in the cayman islands all along
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Steve Barclay's on the telly claiming that the freeze of income tax bands doesn't break the manifesto pledge to not raise personal taxes.

New bit of BBC hagiography of the Rishmeister on twitter

Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

I want to see more videos of him down the pub and going out for meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Don't worry I'm sure lall will be in here any second to let us know we can stop institutionalised police racism with the powers of demand side economics if we can just find a way to mobilise consumers into buying something which stops the police being racist...
    "Be nice copper!" Armbands? Nah they'd just hear their wife asking them for mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    It's much easier being chancellor when you are giving all the money away and it suits the populist agenda but at some point there is going to be a big bill for this and I imagine it won't be the rich paying. Really quite disappointed to not see a windfall tax on the likes of amazon who have done so well through the pandemic because of shops being closed.

BoJo decided to unilaterally extend the grace period of no checks for NI without discussing it with the EU for 6 months.

Clear breach of the Withdrawal agreement & NI protocol and international law.
    Normally this would go to arbitration, which the absolutely slowest method to solve this.

But if you remember EU-UK Brexit deal allows the EU to make corrective action quickly, which mean tariffs.
    Only on a very specific and limited way, on news worthy goods, which would be politically embarrassing and hurt the Tory leadership and main donors.

About 2-3 years ago EU-US had a trade disagreement. This would be similar to that, when key Republican states' most prided exporting industries were slapped with punitive tariffs.

fake edit: alternatively the European Parliament might decide not to ratify the Brexit deal as it was 'breached' before it was ratified and UK gets the full on WTO no-deal scenario.
    Last edited by DerWish; March 4 2021 at 06:58:57 AM.