hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 314 of 536 FirstFirst ... 214264304311312313314315316317324364414 ... LastLast
Results 6,261 to 6,280 of 10720

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    >Concern trolling leftists about violence

lmao good luck
    Let's go devil's advocate: take the 1960s civil rights movements in America as an example of effective protesting. It was non-violent protests, marches, sit-ins, etc. and was met with brutal violence by the police force in a few states and rioting and counter-protests. The reason it worked is everyone got to see non-violent people getting pepper sprayed or police dogs sicced on them or food thrown at them, and it brought feelings of shame and embarrassment to America on the international stage.

This kind of protest works because it shows an oppressive group in power oppressing someone that has no power. Assaulting someone, even a politician, parallels that in people's minds. Most people don't want to be associated with a violent group.

Also, by assaulting someone you demonstrate who is in power and oppressing someone else, whether the reality is different. In an age where optics is everything - or rather, where men with no balls have gone from direct masculine confrontations to complaining on the internet with passive-aggressive tweets - assaulting someone else only garners sympathy for the person(s) you assault and galvanizes their own beliefs.

In the leftists' own words, "it's not a good look."

You have a poor understanding of what drives sociological change and how the civil rights movement panned out with regards to the influence of various groups with different tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

You have a poor understanding of what drives sociological change and how the civil rights movement panned out with regards to the influence of various groups with different tactics.
    gotta do a little better than "lol no"

What is the radical flank effect? What was happening in America before mass demonstrations in the 60s and how did society mobilise towards that point?
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

idk, please tell us
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Change UK have been running Facebook adverts to remain in the UK...

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    idk, please tell us
    Militant action by radical elements increased support for more moderate actions and provided the base for popular mass protest.

Strong British steel industry will carry you over the brexit surely!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    >when you normalize assaulting people but its okay because we called them a nazi

>there is no such thing as a slippery slope

>this kind of thing will never be used against us in the future
    >When you see nazis on one side and non-nazis on the other and you come down on the side of the nazis because you're a radical centrist

>When you have no understanding of the paradox of tolerance

>When you see nazis being called nazis and instead of wondering why you just claim that everyone is being called a nazi
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Infact that last one is my favourite.

TEH LEFT ARE CALLING EVERYONE RIGHT OF CENTRE NAZISSSSSSSSSS

No, they're not. Nobody is calling Theresa May a nazi, nobody is calling Bill Weld a nazi, nobody on the left is calling Angela Merkel of the centre-right CDU a nazi (although I bet I could find some hard right people who are). Because these people are not nazis and do not display hallmarks of fascism.

The reason that Trump, Bolsonaro, Farage, Robinson, Carl of Swindon get called fascists is because they display fascist tendencies.

People do not understand that fascism doesn't start with the jackboots marching down the road and kicking in the door. Fascism comes to you as a friend. It promises to make you stronger, and better, and says that everything that has gone wrong is not your fault, but the fault of some 'other', and that if only we can get rid of the 'other', everything will be okay. THEN the jackboots start. The reason that people are calling other people fascists is that they recognise stage one and would really like it to stop before stage two starts.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post

No, they're not. Nobody is calling Theresa May a nazi, nobody is calling Bill Weld a nazi, nobody on the left is calling Angela Merkel of the centre-right CDU a nazi (although I bet I could find some hard right people who are). Because these people are not nazis and do not display hallmarks of fascism.

The reason that Trump, Bolsonaro, Farage, Robinson, Carl of Swindon get called fascists is because they display fascist tendencies.

People do not understand that fascism doesn't start with the jackboots marching down the road and kicking in the door. Fascism comes to you as a friend. It promises to make you stronger, and better, and says that everything that has gone wrong is not your fault, but the fault of some 'other', and that if only we can get rid of the 'other', everything will be okay. THEN the jackboots start. The reason that people are calling other people fascists is that they recognise stage one and would really like it to stop before stage two starts.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    >Concern trolling leftists about violence

lmao good luck
    Let's go devil's advocate: take the 1960s civil rights movements in America as an example of effective protesting. It was non-violent protests, marches, sit-ins, etc. and was met with brutal violence by the police force in a few states and rioting and counter-protests. The reason it worked is everyone got to see non-violent people getting pepper sprayed or police dogs sicced on them or food thrown at them, and it brought feelings of shame and embarrassment to America on the international stage.

This kind of protest works because it shows an oppressive group in power oppressing someone that has no power. Assaulting someone, even a politician, parallels that in people's minds. Most people don't want to be associated with a violent group.

Also, by assaulting someone you demonstrate who is in power and oppressing someone else, whether the reality is different. In an age where optics is everything - or rather, where men with no balls have gone from direct masculine confrontations to complaining on the internet with passive-aggressive tweets - assaulting someone else only garners sympathy for the person(s) you assault and galvanizes their own beliefs.

In the leftists' own words, "it's not a good look."
    Thank god those peacful 60's protestors The Black Panthers got rid of racism in USA, particularly Law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rosen
    Fascism: I sometimes fear...

I sometimes fear that
    people think that fascism arrives in fancy dress
    worn by grotesques and monsters
    as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis.

Fascism arrives as your friend.
    It will restore your honour,
    make you feel proud,
    protect your house,
    give you a job,
    clean up the neighbourhood,
    remind you of how great you once were,
    clear out the venal and the corrupt,
    remove anything you feel is unlike you...

It doesn't walk in saying,
    "Our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."

Word is that David Mundell (Scottish Sec) may be about to resign. He may not be the only one.

Meanwhile, George Osborne's Evening Standard is now backing the Lib Dems
    Last edited by Rodj Blake; May 22 2019 at 03:40:45 PM.

lmao absolute chaos

Schools have done a great job sanitizing the civil rights movement

Please sit in your assigned Free Spech Zone with a maximum decibel level of 50 or you will dishonor the ancient ghost of MLK, thanks

Bless.

So hyped for the election tomorrorw that I might even vote. Only thing is, I don't know whether to make Labour 1st or 2nd preferred vote. Ideally I think I'd vote Lib Dem & Green in either order, but the Midlands will probably swing hard for the Brexit Party tomorrow, & not voting Labour might make it even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    So hyped for the election tomorrorw that I might even vote. Only thing is, I don't know whether to make Labour 1st or 2nd preferred vote. Ideally I think I'd vote Lib Dem & Green in either order, but the Midlands will probably swing hard for the Brexit Party tomorrow, & not voting Labour might make it even worse.
    In England, Wales and Scotland, you only get one vote. No transfers, no second preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    Given that LD, Labour and Greens are all polling 10-15% they will probably all get an MEP from the West Midlands. Given your preference set I think you should either vote for the the Greens (who are polling lowest) to make sure they get one MEP, or for whoever in your preference set is polling highest, in the hope they get two MEPs.

But tactical voting a confused PR election is a crapshoot.