hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 389 of 447 FirstFirst ... 289339379386387388389390391392399439 ... LastLast
Results 7,761 to 7,780 of 8924

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

  1. #7761
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I was under the impression that UK labour rules (time off, sick leave, breaks) were superior to the EU minimum.
    Oh, so the Tories want to leave the EU to introduce higher standards of Worker's Rights?

    That seems reasonable.
    Are you on glue?


  2. #7762
    Crystalline Entity's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I was under the impression that UK labour rules (time off, sick leave, breaks) were superior to the EU minimum.
    Oh, so the Tories want to leave the EU to introduce higher standards of Worker's Rights?

    That seems reasonable.
    Are you on glue?
    and argued that EU rights should not automatically be written into law after Brexit.
    The rules of a soon to be foreign quasi-politburo (let's be honest not many of them are elected) not immediately going into domestic law without question? How surprising and democratic....

    Shocking I say, shocking!
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

    Smuggo - Brexit Thread

  3. #7763

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I was under the impression that UK labour rules (time off, sick leave, breaks) were superior to the EU minimum.
    Oh, so the Tories want to leave the EU to introduce higher standards of Worker's Rights?

    That seems reasonable.
    Are you on glue?
    and argued that EU rights should not automatically be written into law after Brexit.
    The rules of a soon to be foreign quasi-politburo (let's be honest not many of them are elected) not immediately going into domestic law without question? How surprising and democratic....

    Shocking I say, shocking!
    The idiocy on display here is what's "shocking".

    As in fully expected.

  4. #7764

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,354
    Remember when the Electoral Commission concluded that Cambridge Analytica didn't help Leave.EU?

    Well guess what's just come to light...

    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...tica_leave_eu/

  5. #7765

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I was under the impression that UK labour rules (time off, sick leave, breaks) were superior to the EU minimum.
    Oh, so the Tories want to leave the EU to introduce higher standards of Worker's Rights?

    That seems reasonable.
    Are you on glue?
    Sarcasm ----------------->

    Lark's Head

  6. #7766
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    2,355
    On the UK exchange rate impact on exports (from https://www.ft.com/content/615ae7ba-...9-fdcab53d6959)

    Between the end of 2015 and the end of the first quarter of 2019, trade-weighted sterling fell 12.1 per cent. Meanwhile, the manufacturing sector as a share of the total value added of the economy rose from 10.02 per cent to 10.07 per cent. And as a share of total employment, manufacturing increased from 7.69 per cent to 7.7 per cent ó hardly the rebalancing some had hoped for.
    Since 2000, the volume of global exports has almost doubled, while the UKís has risen by almost two-thirds, according to Schrodersí calculations. Britainís share of global exports has therefore fallen, despite trade-weighted sterling falling 29 per cent over the same period.
    If sterling falls far enough, companies will choose to export rather than serve the domestic economy and the UK will be able to compete. But in order to not erode the competitive advantage, a much larger depreciation than what we have seen would be needed and labour costs would have to remain at current levels.

    The cost of such a currency fall in terms of higher inflation, lower purchasing power and the destruction of the value of savings would be devastating.

  7. #7767
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    19,210
    Destroying the value of savings is certainly one way to reduce inequality...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  8. #7768

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,354
    I see Priti Patel has been banging on about the evils of encryption already.

    Sure Priti, you can read my Whatsapp messages just as long as I can read all of your communications.

  9. #7769

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,354
    Tories in "we don't like the poor*" shocker - https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ple-or-the-nhs

    *For values of poor including anyone who's not a bazillionaire.
    Last edited by Rodj Blake; July 31 2019 at 10:50:22 AM.

  10. #7770

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Destroying the value of savings is certainly one way to reduce inequality...
    The rich don't save. Well, not in the UK they don't. So the only thing the destruction of the value of savings will do is destroy the pensioners (first and foremost), and some part of the middle class (not much these days, because they're as overleveraged as everyone else).

    This only reduces inequality is, maybe, in the 'feels' department, and then only if you bought into the Boomers-are-evil myth. In reality it's the poorer working class pensioners that will get hit. The rest has got their money invested (for them) elsewhere as well.

    So, no, this is no way to reduce inequality. It is neo-liberal policy eating it's own children.

  11. #7771

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    I see Priti Patel has been banging on about the evils of encryption already.

    Sure Priti, you can read my Whatsapp messages just as long as I can read all of your communications.
    It is almost as if the Tories/this government are in a desperate hurry to get as much damage in before the game is well and truly up.

    I remember similar scenes when call-me-Dave's government/coalition was up for an election (which they all thought they were going to lose).

  12. #7772

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,354
    Liz Truss meeting the US Ambassador. Notice anything odd?


  13. #7773

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Liz Truss meeting the US Ambassador. Notice anything odd?

    No, because the picture doesn't work

  14. #7774
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Liz Truss meeting the US Ambassador. Notice anything odd?

    You mean except the death grip?


    

  15. #7775
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    16,182
    Nice blouse, it looks good on her
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  16. #7776

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,164
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...em-19-brex-13-

    Oh. Dear.



    I for one am shocked that a hard-right wing shift by the tories' new brexit dream team leadership has reclaimed half of the vote lost to the kippers, while Labour's continued leadership by an utter buffoon surrounded by antisemites has done nothing but lose more votes to pretty much everyone else.

  17. #7777

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    You mean except the death grip?
    No, Rodj wants us to believe there's "literally nothing in Truss's lever-arch file" because that's what the left-wing twitterati that he follows have been posting all day. In reality it's just an oversized folder so that you can't see what a secretary of state is carrying into a sensitive meeting. They're fairly standard in this age of very high resolution cameras.

  18. #7778
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    19,210
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post

    I for one am shocked that a hard-right wing shift by the tories' new brexit dream team leadership has reclaimed half of the vote lost to the kippers, while Labour's continued leadership by an utter buffoon surrounded by antisemites has done nothing but lose more votes to pretty much everyone else.
    Depressing that the Brexit party polls higher than the Greens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  19. #7779

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...em-19-brex-13-

    Oh. Dear.



    I for one am shocked that a hard-right wing shift by the tories' new brexit dream team leadership has reclaimed half of the vote lost to the kippers, while Labour's continued leadership by an utter buffoon surrounded by antisemites has done nothing but lose more votes to pretty much everyone else.
    I'm pretty sure that Brown and May both received a boost in the polls immediately after entering No.10.

    But yeah, blame Corbyn.

  20. #7780

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,164
    Damnit, I had my money on him going for "Oh but YouGov are just an outlier"

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •