hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 736 of 750 FirstFirst ... 236636686726733734735736737738739746 ... LastLast
Results 14,701 to 14,720 of 14983

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

  1. #14701
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,039
    They only care about gay rights when it concedes a victory to working class movements. The ruling class have no problems with their comrades being gay just the same as they don't mind paying for their daughters to have secret abortions.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  2. #14702

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    They only care about gay rights when it concedes a victory to working class movements. The ruling class have no problems with their comrades being gay just the same as they don't mind paying for their daughters to have secret abortions.
    Also, the Irish lobby has more influence in DC than the homophobe lobby.

  3. #14703
    DerWish's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,746
    Holy shit. Dominic Raab in US.


  4. #14704

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,978
    Quote Originally Posted by DerWish View Post
    Holy shit. Dominic Raab in US.
    You seem surprised.

  5. #14705
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,381
    His bodyguard left his gun on the plane too, like you do.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54216511

  6. #14706

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,978
    Good news everyone!

    Boris Johnson has negotiated a Christmas truce with Covid so we won't have to obey any of the rules on Christmas Day.

  7. #14707
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    5,650
    I hear Germany has started telling people to stock up on sausages and cheese. They're preparing for a Würst Käse scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

  8. #14708
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,631
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    I hear Germany has started telling people to stock up on sausages and cheese. They're preparing for a Würst Käse scenario.
    I know what Käse is, but Würst? Is that a Würstchen got too big but not big enough to be Wurst?

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  9. #14709
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    I hear Germany has started telling people to stock up on sausages and cheese. They're preparing for a Würst Käse scenario.
    I know what Käse is, but Würst? Is that a Würstchen got too big but not big enough to be Wurst?

    Tapapapatalk
    is there anything your german pedanticness cannot ruin ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  10. #14710
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    5,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    I hear Germany has started telling people to stock up on sausages and cheese. They're preparing for a Würst Käse scenario.
    I know what Käse is, but Würst? Is that a Würstchen got too big but not big enough to be Wurst?

    Tapapapatalk
    I think we all just found out that you're the Würst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

  11. #14711
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,723
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    I hear Germany has started telling people to stock up on sausages and cheese. They're preparing for a Würst Käse scenario.
    I know what Käse is, but Würst? Is that a Würstchen got too big but not big enough to be Wurst?

    Tapapapatalk
    I think we all just found out that you're the Würst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  12. #14712
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    3,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    I hear Germany has started telling people to stock up on sausages and cheese. They're preparing for a Würst Käse scenario.
    I know what Käse is, but Würst? Is that a Würstchen got too big but not big enough to be Wurst?

    Tapapapatalk
    I think we all just found out that you're the Würst.
    I chuckled hence I quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  13. #14713
    DerWish's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,746

  14. #14714

    Join Date
    May 11, 2011
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    More Sensible Opposition from Sir Keith Haircut.

    Last time cases started to rise, he stood and held the government's coat, rather than pushing them to change approach, and the end result was 60,000 dead.

    Now cases are rising again, he's Dynamically and Forensically decided to...support the government again.

    I'm so glad we have a Real Opposition again, lads.
    I recall he ripped them apart in PMQ's several times followed by government changing approach and trying to resolve issues, but I assume there is something new I missed?
    Nobody cares about PMQs. It's porn for politics geeks, and quite frankly I would expect a QC who was the DPP to destroy a charlatan like Johnson every single time he stands across from him, and to give him his due he does. But then Corbyn regularly did very well in PMQs against Johnson, that just wasn't relevant because he's Unelectable.

    It's the actual policies, the meat and potatoes stuff. Starmer let Johnson manipulate him into a position whereby he was backing schools going back no matter what - Johnson can now quite easily say that the second wave is due to Starmer. It's not, and we know it's not, but that's the problem with 'Sensible Opposition' where you stand by the government - failure is your child and success is theirs.

    Let's be honest, if Labour took over the country tomorrow, what would they do differently with regards to Covid? I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows. People need to stop with this 'election in four years no need to set out policies' argument, one because it's bumpf, 80 seat majority or not this government will not go to term, and two because the two most successful electioneering leaders in recent history, being Tony Blair and David Cameron, understood that you need to change the voter's minds NOW.

    Labour is hoovering up votes from Lib Dems in safe seats, and not taking votes from the Tories or from ex voters, and that can only go so far.
    If Labour were to take over tomorrow I would expect to see:

    Furlough/Pay compensation offered to all those told isolate by Track and Trace
    Track and Trace returned to local control (councils have outperformed Track and Track with no extra funds)
    Proper tendering for services/PPE

  15. #14715
    Donor Shiodome's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    I am a white male.
    Posts
    5,547
    Article from 'The Grocer' (trade magazine) on effects of no deal Brexit on grocery prices:

    link (though afaik is subscription based, and it'd be weird if you were subscribed): https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/brexit/b...=2020-09-21&c=

    Should the UK and EU fail to reach a deal by the end of the year, EU food imports – which account for 30% of produce in UK supermarkets – will face tariffs from 1 January 2021. So, what is the UK’s policy on tariffs, and how could it affect food prices?[.[...] On the whole, the UK Global Tariff (UKGT) largely reflects the EU common external tariff it will replace, as the UK’s new ‘most favoured nation’ schedule, though there has been some simplification. Which means tariffs on food are “particularly high”, according to a July report by the BRC. Should there be no FTA in place by 1 January 2021, EU food imports would face average tariffs of 20%, it concluded.

    Fresh foods would be among the worst hit, particularly given tariffs would now apply to most EU fruit & veg imports. High tariffs would apply to all dairy products under the UKGT, too. That’s a significant change from the TTR, which included tariffs for some cheeses and butter products, but not for milk, cream, powders or yoghurts.

    No TRQs
    Another big change from the TTR is the absence of tariff rate quotas (TRQs) to maintain trade flows on key EU imports. The TTR included a TRQ of 230,000 tonnes annually for beef, for example, which could be used by any country, including EU members, for tariff-free access to the UK. But that hasn’t been replicated in the UKGT.

    The stark differences between the TTR and UKGT can be explained by their very different political objectives, suggests James Kane, associate for the Institute for Government. “The TTR was designed to achieve economic benefits from a price neutrality perspective but it also had political aims,” he says.

    Part of that purpose could have been to make a no-deal look unpleasant for the DUP. “You would have a regime where a lot of beef would be coming in from around the world and at the same time there would be unlimited flows of product from the EU into NI,” says Kane. “Because they weren’t going to apply even the very limited tariffs applied in GB in NI.” In contrast, the UKGT is targeted at the UK’s trading partners – primarily the EU. “It was intended to suggest to them that if they failed to reach a deal, there would be unpleasant consequences for the EU market,” Kane says.


    [...]Price rises
    Unfortunately, there could also be unpleasant consequences for British shoppers if the UK doesn’t reach a deal with the EU. Research by the UK Trade Policy Observatory at the University of Sussex suggests dairy prices could rise 8.1% as a result of the tariffs, while meat could rise 5.8% and veg 4%.

    Ambient staples imported from the EU, such as tinned tomatoes, olive oil, beans, pasta and pulses, would also get more expensive, according to the Affordable Food Deal campaign. “The UK Global Tariff would create an added cost for food importers on a range of everyday items,” says Naomi Smith, CEO of Best for Britain, which is behind the Affordable Food Deal campaign. “This cost will be passed on to food retailers and the supermarkets.”

    On average, food prices in the UK are set to rise by almost a quarter (22.5%) in the event of a no-deal, according to research published in the British Medical Journal in March 2020.

    [...]Under international trade law, if the UK suspended or reduced tariffs for the EU it would also have to do so for the rest of the world, which could be disastrous for the UK’s domestic food industry. But with international law seemingly no longer important in Boris Johnson’s government’s decision making, some believe it would just drop tariffs for the EU regardless.

    Lowering tariffs for EU imports wouldn’t necessarily prevent food price rises in the event of a no-deal, though. Non-tariff barriers, such as new regulatory checks, would also add significant costs to industry. “Any disruption to the frictionless trade currently enjoyed between the EU and the UK will have the most immediate impact on fresh and short shelf-life products,” says Smith.
    edited out a bunch of paragraphs on the theme of 'this is a disaster' to just keep the more concrete info orientated bits.

    tl:dr - buy beans now, sell in February.

  16. #14716
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    Article from 'The Grocer' (trade magazine) on effects of no deal Brexit on grocery prices:

    link (though afaik is subscription based, and it'd be weird if you were subscribed): https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/brexit/b...=2020-09-21&c=

    Should the UK and EU fail to reach a deal by the end of the year, EU food imports – which account for 30% of produce in UK supermarkets – will face tariffs from 1 January 2021. So, what is the UK’s policy on tariffs, and how could it affect food prices?[.[...] On the whole, the UK Global Tariff (UKGT) largely reflects the EU common external tariff it will replace, as the UK’s new ‘most favoured nation’ schedule, though there has been some simplification. Which means tariffs on food are “particularly high”, according to a July report by the BRC. Should there be no FTA in place by 1 January 2021, EU food imports would face average tariffs of 20%, it concluded.

    Fresh foods would be among the worst hit, particularly given tariffs would now apply to most EU fruit & veg imports. High tariffs would apply to all dairy products under the UKGT, too. That’s a significant change from the TTR, which included tariffs for some cheeses and butter products, but not for milk, cream, powders or yoghurts.

    No TRQs
    Another big change from the TTR is the absence of tariff rate quotas (TRQs) to maintain trade flows on key EU imports. The TTR included a TRQ of 230,000 tonnes annually for beef, for example, which could be used by any country, including EU members, for tariff-free access to the UK. But that hasn’t been replicated in the UKGT.

    The stark differences between the TTR and UKGT can be explained by their very different political objectives, suggests James Kane, associate for the Institute for Government. “The TTR was designed to achieve economic benefits from a price neutrality perspective but it also had political aims,” he says.

    Part of that purpose could have been to make a no-deal look unpleasant for the DUP. “You would have a regime where a lot of beef would be coming in from around the world and at the same time there would be unlimited flows of product from the EU into NI,” says Kane. “Because they weren’t going to apply even the very limited tariffs applied in GB in NI.” In contrast, the UKGT is targeted at the UK’s trading partners – primarily the EU. “It was intended to suggest to them that if they failed to reach a deal, there would be unpleasant consequences for the EU market,” Kane says.


    [...]Price rises
    Unfortunately, there could also be unpleasant consequences for British shoppers if the UK doesn’t reach a deal with the EU. Research by the UK Trade Policy Observatory at the University of Sussex suggests dairy prices could rise 8.1% as a result of the tariffs, while meat could rise 5.8% and veg 4%.

    Ambient staples imported from the EU, such as tinned tomatoes, olive oil, beans, pasta and pulses, would also get more expensive, according to the Affordable Food Deal campaign. “The UK Global Tariff would create an added cost for food importers on a range of everyday items,” says Naomi Smith, CEO of Best for Britain, which is behind the Affordable Food Deal campaign. “This cost will be passed on to food retailers and the supermarkets.”

    On average, food prices in the UK are set to rise by almost a quarter (22.5%) in the event of a no-deal, according to research published in the British Medical Journal in March 2020.

    [...]Under international trade law, if the UK suspended or reduced tariffs for the EU it would also have to do so for the rest of the world, which could be disastrous for the UK’s domestic food industry. But with international law seemingly no longer important in Boris Johnson’s government’s decision making, some believe it would just drop tariffs for the EU regardless.

    Lowering tariffs for EU imports wouldn’t necessarily prevent food price rises in the event of a no-deal, though. Non-tariff barriers, such as new regulatory checks, would also add significant costs to industry. “Any disruption to the frictionless trade currently enjoyed between the EU and the UK will have the most immediate impact on fresh and short shelf-life products,” says Smith.
    edited out a bunch of paragraphs on the theme of 'this is a disaster' to just keep the more concrete info orientated bits.

    tl:dr - buy beans now, sell in February.

    THe great bean bubble of 20.
    meh

  17. #14717
    evil edna's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,814
    Another blow for fat people

  18. #14718

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,978
    With most people, I'd say that attending your son's baptism would be a pretty decent alibi. With Johnson though?

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ret-italy-trip

  19. #14719

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    5,978
    Apparently the masterplan to stop the spread of the virus is to limit pub opening hours, thereby ensuring more people will be down the boozer at any given time.

  20. #14720
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,026
    Country run by f**king f**knuts surprisingly f**king f**ked
    https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/polit...20200922200714

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •