hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 446 of 471 FirstFirst ... 346396436443444445446447448449456 ... LastLast
Results 8,901 to 8,920 of 9420

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    It isn't meaningless, Labour aren't a one issue party and at the moment politics is single issue.
    If only there had been some way for Labour to get in front of that issue, you know, provide some kind of clear, honest, unequivocal political stance. A manifesto commitment, even.

I realise I'm wasting my time here.
    You're right they should have. But they didn't for a whole host of reasons, some valid and some not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

DUP now no longer a 'no deal' Brexit party, wants 'sensible deal', bespoke to NI, and a return to devolution/Stormond (which they've sabotaged for years now).

I guess Arlene 'Noooooooooooooooo' Foster looked at recent DUP polling numbers in NI ...

(Ohhh, now she remembers the letter she wrote with Martin McGuinness in 2016! After two bloody years forgetting all about it! Seriously, fuck the DUP!)
    Last edited by Bartholomeus Crane; September 19 2019 at 09:57:45 AM.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I'm not sure where his personal positions differ much from the manifesto tbh. Abbott being incompetent is a right wing meme.
    On say, Brexit?

Can't be that often a QC gets told he's talking shite by two separate supreme court judges

Hypothetical: Government loses the case, parliament is recalled, Labour conference doesn't happen, Corbyn's decree remains party policy :thinking:

Doesn't count though since they DON'T WEAR WIGS. How this thing is meant to be pitched to Netflix with that sort of lack of commitment to adding some cultural flavour is completely beyond me.

Absolute legal scenes. That was some bitch slapping Lavery got. I understood the point he was making but he's just wasted his time in front of the court there.

Mr Lavery says it is "unthinkable" that Northern Ireland wouldn't be taken into consideration in this decision-making process.
    No it isn't. I think it regularly.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Absolute legal scenes. That was some bitch slapping Lavery got. I understood the point he was making but he's just wasted his time in front of the court there.
    Sounds like a good kicking indeed. And rightfully so. A supreme court case about prorogation is no place to grandstand about the effects of Brexit on NI. It's good point made in the wrong place.

Fordham doing an absolute job now though. The weirdo has actually read and considered every judicial review case ever! Currently ripping the English high court a new one.

Supreme court will have to slap down colleagues one way or the other. Either in Scotland or in England. They're visibly not relishing the job, though currently it looks two against everyone else!

Government QCs look pretty terrible frankly ...

Remedy out in the open:

Shirely if he just repeats the prorogation, repeating the effect + intent of the first prorogation, it's just as unlawful

Shirely if he just repeats the prorogation, repeating the effect + intent of the first prorogation, it's just as unlawful
    If the Supreme Court says it was done unlawfully, they'll have to say why. Then it's just a question not doing it that way then. Ofcourse there will be another challenge.

Basically, it's easy for the government to do so in practice: "We've already asked the Queen to give a speech, so if we prorogue parliament so that the Queen doesn't have to come in earlier, it's lawful this time round"

I doubt the Supreme Court will be much amused to hear that whatever they decide, Boris will just ignore it anyway. If anything, this will strengthen their resolve to put their own remedy in place!

Can't be that often a QC gets told he's talking shite by two separate supreme court judges
    Happens a lot more often than you'd think, they're lucky Sumption isn't there.

Fucking love watching a Pannick attack

This will all make a great paragraph in future sovereignty essays.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Happens a lot more often than you'd think, they're lucky Sumption isn't there.
    Well, he retired last year (or so?), so, lucky?

Frankly I'm not disappointed by the judges' reactions thus far, Sumption or not .

As I read it, there are two who'd prefer to go with the English district court, almost everyone else not so much. The government's lawyers argued, I think, poorly. You never know, obviously, but I see this going against the government. The only question seems to be how strongly it goes against the government.

But then again, I could be wrong.

I hear a pail of laughter from across the Channel.

Can it be? Why, yes, it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    I hear a pail of laughter from across the Channel.

Can it be? Why, yes, it is:
    Can these shitlers not get on with selling us cheaply to the breakers yard without also humiliating us every single fucking day as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!