hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 509 of 576 FirstFirst ... 9409459499506507508509510511512519559 ... LastLast
Results 10,161 to 10,180 of 11513

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    To bring another piece of evidence to the discussion (as if Meester will actually listen, but oh well), I had to take my young son to hospital on Monday night because he woke up with a very nasty bout of croup. The "shit, he can barely breathe" variety. He woke up at 11pm, we got him to the hospital around half past midnight and we finally saw a doctor and got him some medicine at 6.30am. We sat in the waiting room for six hours. We took a while to get him to the hospital because originally there was going to be an ambulance to come look at him, only to have that change to "can you please take him to the hospital".

It's very fucking terrifying as a parent when your child can't breathe, it's even more terrifying experiencing having to wait all night for treatment. That's the Tory NHS for you. So, Meester, don't sit there and make stupid fucking claims like that, because if you haven't seen any evidence, then you haven't been fucking looking.
    That isn't evidence they do not care. That is just evidence that there wasn't an ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Did your parents ever take you to get tested for mental disabilities?
    Im sorry there were not any ambulances available.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    i wish my reality distortion field was this powerful, it's literately overriding 150 years worth of history.
    If you only know of 150 years worth of history then you do not know enough. Im surprised your version of history doesn't start in 1917. And anyone who believes Boris will sell off the NHS to Trump distorts reality as much as anyone.
    Last edited by Meester; November 14 2019 at 08:46:19 PM.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-50378036

Four out of five disability claims are won on appeal.

This at the least suggests that the rules are overly strict and applied without benefit of nuance.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    That isn't evidence they do not care. That is just evidence that there wasn't an ambulance.
    There wasn't an ambulance in a large city for a child who can't breathe?! It literally says on the NHS website to call 999 if your child has these symptoms. Hell, on this very day an article came out highlighting that the NHS is seeing its worst performance since records began:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50397856

That trend line is completely unambiguous. If the Tories do care, they're incompetent. If they don't care, they're malicious. Either way, you do not want them in charge of the health system.

Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    General election 2019: Don't give up on stopping Brexit - Tusk

In other words Russia interfering in other countries politics is bad but the EU interfering is good. Tusk is the EU's Putin.
    Without the last sentence you would have made an almost good post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

It's far from a good post, a politician being open about his opinion is a far, far cry from the sort of shit Russia is pulling.

It's far from a good post, a politician being open about his opinion is a far, far cry from the sort of shit Russia is pulling.
    This. There's a massive difference between these two.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Russian interference gave us trump, EU interference gave the Welsh some bridges and employment programs
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Russian interference gave us trump, EU interference gave the Welsh some bridges and employment programs
    Ah, I see what you were going for, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    History shows us that if you give the Welsh bridges, before long they'll be demanding to use them to cross rivers. The bastards.

Boris trots out lies about VAT and the trots want to nationalise BT to give us all free broadband

the absolute state of our politics

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Boris trots out lies about VAT and the trots want to nationalise BT to give us all free broadband

the absolute state of our politics
    Sonds like a good plan, whats not to like about that?
    Paying broadband from your pocket now vs. paying broadband with your taxes next year does not seem to make a big difference and contrary to the current providers, the government does not have to make a profit, so it should be cheaper.

Because different people have different broadband requirements and ISPs are actually one of the areas in the U.K. where competition is actually working as intended.

Because different people have different broadband requirements and ISPs are actually one of the areas in the U.K. where competition is actually working as intended.
    Where it isn't working is bringing (fast) broadband to outlying areas. That would be an area the government could do something. Everywhere else: yeah, I agree.

How did nationalising broadband in Australia go? Ohh, right ... well then ...

I don't know why Labour is pushing this. It's not really a vote winner, and it makes them look like a kid with a hammer ...

Apparently free broadband would be rather
    popular according to some polls. Unfortunately what it will do is fuck over both big companies (Virgin) and small ones (Truespeed). It's essentially ideological extremeness wrapped up in populism, a lovely combination.

Most people don't have different boradband requirements and ISPs spend the majority of their time sniping customers off each other in well served population centres but not really providing much in terms of value to the market.

Uh, they really do. My house has much different requirements to my neighbour, who has much different requirements to the family across the street. Many people don't need very fast broadband or a high data usage, whereas some do. Some people need a comparatively large pipe to be able to work from home effectively, many don't.

There's a reason there's quite a few broadband tiers out there, not everybody wants the biggest and best and not everybody wants a mid tier ADSL2+ tier.

Oh, and to make things even better, Boris has just promised 10Gb broadband for all, when the average house is incredibly unlikely to have anything more than somewhere around 150Mb WiFi. Oh Lordy.

Nobody believes anything which comes out of Boris' mouth anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    Sonds like a good plan, whats not to like about that? Paying broadband from your pocket now vs. paying broadband with your taxes next year does not seem to make a big difference and contrary to the current providers, the government does not have to make a profit, so it should be cheaper.
    Variously:

1) If the government wants to spend 20Bn on something, paying off BT's shareholders is just about the worst thing they could spend it on
    2) The broadband market in the UK functions well, delivering good speeds to the overwhelming majority at a low cost with effective competition
    3) Broadband requirements vary hugely - I'm paying a tidy packet for an uberconnection because I need it. My mum and dad pay about 3 a month because they don't.
    4) "Free for all" is regressive bullshit. I pay a tidy packet for my connections because I can. I should not be getting it for free off the government. See also: bus passes, winter fuel, pensions etc.
    5) The domestic fixed-line broadband market is old hat and there's a good chance it'll go the way of the fixed-line telephone market by 2030
    Last edited by elmicker; November 15 2019 at 11:53:41 AM.

Yeah, I'm for nationalisation of rail, power and water treatment. But broadband? It's not a natural monopoly. If you want better infrastructure in rural areas then simply legislate that a company can only off X times it's slowest speed, that way if they want to sell huge bandwidth in the city they will have to invest in their rural customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.