hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 489 of 735 FirstFirst ... 389439479486487488489490491492499539589 ... LastLast
Results 9,761 to 9,780 of 14699

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Alun Cairns resigns in Ross England rape trial 'sabotage' row

I really don't get this...

He knew someone who testified in defence at a rape trial (this is some sort of 'sabotage')... and now his political position is untenable?

"knew" covers a spectrum of options though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

He knew someone who testified in defence at a rape trial (this is some sort of 'sabotage')... and now his political position is untenable?
    From the beginning of your link:

A UK cabinet minister has resigned over claims he knew about a former aide's role in the "sabotage" of a rape trial.

Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns denied knowing a Tory Welsh assembly candidate had made claims about a woman's sexual history in a rape trial in April 2018, causing the case to collapse.

BBC Wales found he was sent an email about the case over a year ago - he said he only heard about it last week.
    It is a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50225606

During questioning Mr England made claims that he had had a casual sexual relationship with the complainant.

The judge in the case, Stephen John Hopkins QC, had earlier made clear that evidence of the sexual history of the victim was inadmissible.

He went on to say to Mr England: "Why did you say that? Are you completely stupid?"
    Image copyright Reuters
    Image caption Ross England has worked for Alun Cairns in his constituency office

Mr England said that he thought the question was about his relationship with the woman. Replying, His Honour Judge Hopkins said it was not: "It was quite clear what the question was".

The judge then said: "You have managed singlehanded, and I have no doubt it was deliberate on your part, to sabotage this trial".
    So yeah sabotage.

Banned
    Speaking of politicians who sabotage justice.

General election 2019: Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson stands down

Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post

What shenanigans did Watson get up to? I only know him because momentum hate him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

What shenanigans did Watson get up to? I only know him because momentum hate him.
    This is disappointing, he seemed a sensible calm moderate voice with all the ongoing drama. The timing is very interesting, it feels like a bit of a fuck you.

He did some good things on media regulation, gambling, and food. But he wanted the party to take a more centrist course and was allegedly often the "shadow cabinet source" that spoke out against Corbyn to the press and was involved in the plots to oust him.

There was also the paedophilia thing where he was in the forefront of supporting the chap who alleged stuff and was later found to be a bit of a fantasist.
    Last edited by Rodj Blake; November 7 2019 at 07:36:28 AM.

Yeah moderate voices definitely have a lot of political capital at the moment.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    How can anyone take this shit seriously?
    Because they constantly get legitimised by the BBC and the press?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

The proletariat are easily led sheep.

you don't lead sheep, you herd them. the literal opposite.

Baaa, I say!

Eh.

Sent from my Potato using my fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

So Watson gone. What do we think about that then?
    Meh, most important thing is a sensible progressive replacement. With the current state of the party there isn't a huge number of people who fit that description.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    So Watson gone. What do we think about that then?
    Meh, most important thing is a sensible progressive replacement. With the current state of the party there isn't a huge number of people who fit that description.
    Word is, there'll be two replacements.

I'd support a party structure with one male and one female in each executive role.

I'd support a party structure with one male and one female in each executive role.
    Two people results in deadlocks, each executive role should obviously be made into a triumvirate. Comrade Corby can be the third member of each ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Banned
    I see you have been taking lessons from Caroline Lucas.

Two people results in deadlocks, each executive role should obviously be made into a triumvirate. Comrade Corby can be the third member of each ;-)
    As seen from the parliament any number of brittish politicians results in deadlock.