hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 669 of 707 FirstFirst ... 169569619659666667668669670671672679 ... LastLast
Results 13,361 to 13,380 of 14121

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

UK excess deaths reach almost 60,000
    https://www.ft.com/content/4a91a414-...8-6d231f4a4e43

The UK has suffered almost 60,000 more deaths than usual since the coronavirus pandemic struck the country in mid-March, according to official figures released on Tuesday. The Office for National Statistics said that in the week ending May 15, 14,573 deaths were registered in England and Wales — 4,385 more than average for that week and a deterioration on the 3,081 excess deaths recorded in the previous week. With separate official figures for Scotland and Northern Ireland included, the total number of excess deaths, directly or indirectly caused by Covid-19 across the UK rose to 59,359 over the past nine weeks. Nick Stripe, head of life events at the ONS, said there had been “just under 60,000 excess deaths across the UK”.

The prime minister and his scientific advisers have said that they want to focus on excess mortality rates rather than the daily total announced by the Department of Health and Social Care, which stood at 36,914 in figures released on Monday. Boris Johnson said last month that the only accurate way to compare coronavirus death rates with other countries was by using excess deaths figures, although he hoped to delay any comparisons until the end of the epidemic. The deputy chief medical officer, Jenny Harries, said excess deaths was “probably the most useful statistic”.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I think you're sadly overestimating how accountable the Tory's appear for anything they do in the eyes of the English electorate.
    I think in this case you're grossly underestimating it. I've edited in some initial YouGov figures above. Coupled with the overnight collapse in Boris's personal ratings it's hard to draw any other conclusion than this has permanently damaged his public persona.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I think you're sadly overestimating how accountable the Tory's appear for anything they do in the eyes of the English electorate.
    I think in this case you're grossly underestimating it. I've edited in some initial YouGov figures above. Coupled with the overnight collapse in Boris's personal ratings it's hard to draw any other conclusion than this has permanently damaged his public persona.
    its very hard to draw that conclusion about permenant damage tbh. We are 4 years out from election and if theres one thing the English tory voter has demonstrated, its that this is all really corbyn's fault
    Last edited by Duckslayer; May 26 2020 at 12:46:35 PM.

Corbyn's actually a good example of how this will end up doing damage. He's a man who, on paper, people should really like. They like his policies. They like his empathy. They generally like that he brought something new to the Labour party. But they hated his scumbag advisers and the incompetence they displayed in mismanaging the accusations of antisemitism, thus the idea that he was a stupid, England-hating, champagne marxist intent on running Jewish Britons out of the country stuck. There's a lot of parallels here, right down to the enigmatic and arrogant advisor who is indivisible from the man he is supposed to advise, putting his own personal political victories ahead of the continuity of the party or the success of the country.

Either way if he goes now the PM looks like a fool, if he stays the PM looks like a puppet. The damage is done. I think it'll last.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post
    When's the next election ?
    May '24
    Would it not be December '24?

With such a stonking majority is there any possibility of an earlier election?
    FTPA says the default date is May.

Quick, the story's not going away, tell people they maybe might be able to go to parks in some undefined number of weeks but give no other details!

That ought to distract them!

Corbyn's actually a good example of how this will end up doing damage. He's a man who, on paper, people should really like. They like his policies. They like his empathy. They generally like that he brought something new to the Labour party. But they hated his scumbag advisers and the incompetence they displayed in mismanaging the accusations of antisemitism, thus the idea that he was a stupid, England-hating, champagne marxist intent on running Jewish Britons out of the country stuck. There's a lot of parallels here, right down to the enigmatic and arrogant advisor who is indivisible from the man he is supposed to advise, putting his own personal political victories ahead of the continuity of the party or the success of the country.

Either way if he goes now the PM looks like a fool, if he stays the PM looks like a puppet. The damage is done. I think it'll last.
    When has boris johnson looking a fool ever harmed his elect-ability?

They should let the under 50s use public transport again if they want something to actually distract from Cummings.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    They should let the under 50s use public transport again if they want something to actually distract from Cummings.
    They all are anyway.

Social distancing on my local buses has been more or less impossible ever since the guidance changed from stay at home to stay alert.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

UK falling short of post-Brexit target for customs agents, warns industry
    https://www.ft.com/content/be64c437-...0-4cd3a97aa870

The UK government is falling far short of a target to train an estimated 50,000 new customs agents that will be needed after Brexit and is “misleading” the public over its level of preparedness, customs and haulage industry leaders warned. Cabinet office minister Michael Gove endorsed the 50,000 industry estimate in parliament in February and told MPs last month that the government was in discussions about creating a new customs agent academy while working with industry “to ensure that they have the capacity required”. However, Robert Keen, director-general of the British International Freight Association (BIFA), the industry group that is the main provider of customs training in the UK, said the country was falling “many thousands short” of the target.

In a letter to the parliamentary committee responsible for the UK’s future relationship with the EU, to which Mr Gove gave evidence on April 27, Mr Keen raised “ongoing concerns” over “potentially misleading and ambiguous comments” from politicians and government. Mr Keen said that BIFA had managed to put just 1,298 people through its online customs declaration training in 2019. A further 244 online courses were completed by February this year, but in March and April there were only 96 enrolments, a drop attributed to the coronavirus crisis.*Industry insiders said that many of those who had taken up training were already working in customs and were taking advantage of grants to enhance existing skills, rather than bringing new capacity to the industry. Separately, 870 courses have been completed at an online customs academy set up by the government in September last year with the Institute of Export and International Trade.

The National Audit Office has estimated that 145,000 UK businesses could need to complete customs formalities for the first time from next January, leading to an additional 200m customs declarations a year.

In his letter, Mr Keen warned MPs that it took “at least a year” to train a customs agent to handle “routine inquiries” given the complexity of the forms. But with just six months to go until the new customs regime comes into force, concerns are now growing across the haulage industry about the levels of preparedness. Richard Burnett, chief executive of the Road Haulage Association, said he believed it was now “impossible” to train the number of people required in time. “It is impossible to think we can train this number of people, get them ready and processes in place to be ready on the first of January,” he said. Shane Brennan, chief executive of the Cold Chain Federation, which represents frozen and chilled food logistics businesses, said politicians were showing “wilful ignorance” about how “hopelessly ill-prepared both sides are to operate a functioning customs border” in January.*“We didn’t have enough time to put in place the infrastructure, people and systems we needed before Covid-19, [and] we certainly don’t now,” he said.

As pressure builds on government, Mr Keen also suggested Mr Gove may have overstated the status of a new customs academy in Kent when he told MPs the government had been “talking to the industry” about the facility. Mr Keen said he was aware the idea had been mentioned in an “informal comment” in a recent meeting of the joint customs consultative committee, the body through which HM Revenue & Customs consults with industry, but had not apparently progressed further.* “We do not believe there have been any substantive talks subsequently, certainly not with the trade body that officially represents UK freight-forwarding companies, BIFA,” Mr Keen said in his May 11 letter to Hilary Benn, chair of the committee on the future relationship with the EU, seen by the Financial Times. Asked for details about the plans for the academy — its location, funding or any timeline — the cabinet office declined to provide any further information. [...]

It's alright, we can add those to the 12,000 contact tracers and the 35,000 new nurses.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    They all are anyway.

Social distancing on my local buses has been more or less impossible ever since the guidance changed from stay at home to stay alert.
    I may as well buy a mask and book a tee time then.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    With such a stonking majority is there any possibility of an earlier election?
    That's seems to be an important part of the government's "response strategy".
    AKA "fuck you we have a massive majority what are you going to do" ?

It's alright, we can add those to the 12,000 contact tracers and the 35,000 new nurses.
    Bit of a misconception here. A customs agent is the person what actually files the customs paperwork. They don't work for HMRC or Border Force - they work for the people doing the importing/exporting and probably already work there. It's a complex, detailed job that most companies have forgotten entirely how to do because, well, we've had friction-free trade with most of the world for 50 years. The problem is fundamentally that no one knows what forms actually need to be filled in when transition ends, so no one has been able to build a resource plan, so no one has committed to training anyone. This isn't a "government fails to train 50k people" story, it's a "nobody really knows how many people we'll need" story.

I'm sure the big 4 will manage to grab a bunch of bright eyed young graduates and charge extortionate retainers to have them do the job badly and then upsell customs paperwork auditing where they don't find anything wrong with the work they did themselves.

Bit of a misconception here. A customs agent is the person what actually files the customs paperwork. They don't work for HMRC or Border Force - they work for the people doing the importing/exporting and probably already work there. It's a complex, detailed job that most companies have forgotten entirely how to do because, well, we've had friction-free trade with most of the world for 50 years. The problem is fundamentally that no one knows what forms actually need to be filled in when transition ends, so no one has been able to build a resource plan, so no one has committed to training anyone. This isn't a "government fails to train 50k people" story, it's a "nobody really knows how many people we'll need" story.
    True, but didn't they trumpet setting up an academy to train people to do this job?

Government sticking to its guns on the "exceptional circumstances" bullshit.

I wonder who the resignation tomorrow morning will be

I'm going to be made formally redundant tomorrow - does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    I'm going to be made formally redundant tomorrow - does that count?
    can you at least finish on a high with a top loaded shit i nthe office?

sorry m8, that sucks