hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Everybody shut the fuck up - i'm trying to buy a monitor!

FYI been playing on a Samsung VA panel, a 27" curved screen, for the last two years or so and it's just fine for something that cost like 200usd. They're meant to be bad at ghosting afaik but at 60hz for most games it doesn't really mean anything.
    Last edited by Isyel; September 16 2018 at 09:05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Guys. Guys. GUYS!

I can sort out the actual model - i need an advice on matrix type.
    I assume you mean panel type?

TN - worst colors, cheapest, best for input lag
    VA - best blacks, poor viewing angles
    IPS - best viewing angles, best colors

IPS is what you should look at.

IPS is generally the way to go for 60fps. As Cosmin said though a lot of IPS panels are lousy for backlight bleed. They can ghost but if you insist on staying in the last decade with 60fps setups you probably won't notice it too much.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Donor
    Guys. Guys. GUYS!

I'm gonna be a bit controversial here. If you don't want to pay for a high end model, go with a TN panel. The low-end VA and IPS stuff on the market right now is shit, riddled with problems and quality defects. TNs don't have as many issues and you'll get more features for less money. VA is, imho, the best panel type but you can go mad trying to get one that isn't fucked up in some way. IPS is almost as bad.

I think that's probably sensible advice. I'd be tempted to try to find a cheap and reasonable IPS screen, but that would probably involve lots of research and prayers (to the panel gods). I'd skip VA because of the limited number of manufacturers that offer VA at that price point (I do have a VA panel myself though and it is of course the best type).

Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    Guys. Guys. GUYS!

I'm gonna be a bit controversial here. If you don't want to pay for a high end model, go with a TN panel. The low-end VA and IPS stuff on the market right now is shit, riddled with problems and quality defects. TNs don't have as many issues and you'll get more features for less money. VA is, imho, the best panel type but you can go mad trying to get one that isn't fucked up in some way. IPS is almost as bad.
    It's pretty much what I meant back in my post yeah, agreed 100%. TN is alright in the end and you can get solid panels for cheap with more features and quality than the average cheapo IPS etc.

Got my new monitor a while ago now. Everyone told me to get an IPS. I got an IPS. I do not regret getting an IPS because the colours are amazing and its very very bright, but if its not in your budget I had an old TN panel before and honestly I would have been fine with another TN panel. New TNs are better than old TNs so they will be 'fine'.

It is worth not getting the shit tier monitor with panels because unlike a CRT they will go from working to dead overnight.
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; September 17 2018 at 03:07:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

There is no budget IPS gaming screens. You will have to make a compromise.
    I would normally not recommend anything under 1440p, but these got a price spike.

Acer has a new Nitro series that is IPS 1080p @75hz which is reasonably priced.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Similar boat, needed to upgrade my pc, a complete overhaul except for gpu

For what I need I bought an Xbox instead

Not helpful or relevant.

Sent from my iPhtapa
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post

Not helpful or relevant.

Sent from my iPhtapa
    i was going to make sausages and champ last night for tea, instead i made stir fry

also not helpful or relevant.

Not helpful or relevant or sane.

Sent from my iPhtapa
    fyp

Guys. Guys. GUYS!

Unfortunately old monitors are really hard to get rid of, so if you want to upgrade to 1440p and keep the current planned acquiring screen as comrade Razor stated you'll end up with a TN thing that has nothing in common colour-wise or viewing angle-wise with the new one.

After I blundered and splurged on 2 TNs when I got my first IPS I kinda wised up and treated monitors as long term investments (i.e. not planning to sell them), thus a more wise approach is necessary imho. Better save up a few months and get something awesome than go with something that may frustrate you at one point in your life. IDK.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Donor
    The problem with the monitor-as-investment approach (which is something I used to wholeheartedly subscribe to) is actually finding one that you can tolerate using for years and years. The current monitor market is such a shitshow doing that can be nearly impossible. And most manufacturers quality control is so awful the variance between in two monitors of the same model can be huge, so if the thing ever breaks and needs warranty service you can end up with a replacement that completely sucks even if the original was good (personally been down that road more than once).

Five years ago I'd have confidently recommended spending whatever it took to get a good monitor because you'd be staring at it for years. Now I think it's more prudent to get something cheap and tolerable, and hope the market quality improves.

Personally, after countless failed attempts to replace my dying BenQ BL3200PT with a new monitor that isn't a heap of shit I gave up and went full ass retro. EBay yielded a faulty 10 year-old Samsung 305t+ with vertical lines on the screen for £35 - I already have a 305t+ that has a minor but irritatingr panel fault, so it's a model I'm familiar with. Took me less than an hour to fully fix the 'new' one. Now I'm sitting in front of a 30" 2560x1600 wide-gamut VA panel that has no glow, almost no bleed, no visible uniformity issues, no scanlines or motion artifacts, no pink or green colour tints, no weird overshoot trails. It also has no OSD, gets very hot and the six CCFL backlights guzzle power. But it gives me a great picture and doesn't have a zillion annoying defects, which makes it better than 90% of current model monitors.

The problem with the monitor-as-investment approach (which is something I used to wholeheartedly subscribe to) is actually finding one that you can tolerate using for years and years. The current monitor market is such a shitshow doing that can be nearly impossible. And most manufacturers quality control is so awful the variance between in two monitors of the same model can be huge, so if the thing ever breaks and needs warranty service you can end up with a replacement that completely sucks even if the original was good (personally been down that road more than once).

Five years ago I'd have confidently recommended spending whatever it took to get a good monitor because you'd be staring at it for years. Now I think it's more prudent to get something cheap and tolerable, and hope the market quality improves.

Personally, after countless failed attempts to replace my dying BenQ BL3200PT with a new monitor that isn't a heap of shit I gave up and went full ass retro. EBay yielded a faulty 10 year-old Samsung 305t+ with vertical lines on the screen for £35 - I already have a 305t+ that has a minor but irritatingr panel fault, so it's a model I'm familiar with. Took me less than an hour to fully fix the 'new' one. Now I'm sitting in front of a 30" 2560x1600 wide-gamut VA panel that has no glow, almost no bleed, no visible uniformity issues, no scanlines or motion artifacts, no pink or green colour tints, no weird overshoot trails. It also has no OSD, gets very hot and the six CCFL backlights guzzle power. But it gives me a great picture and doesn't have a zillion annoying defects, which makes it better than 90% of current model monitors.
    It's weird since living in Korea we get so many off brand cheapo monitors with decent panels for fuck all and the stores will happily plug it in and test it for you. Went buying with a friend last month and you could get some ridic stuff for so cheap.

Was also mad i didn't have 200 dollars handy, they had a gorgerous 32" LG screen with low response time that was perfect on sale, it was the display model, last one they had and it was like 60% off and the screen was flawless. Sigh.

I bought 2 of the 25" ultrasharps a couple of weeks ago. Perfect size, gorgeous colours, stuck pixel guarantee. £270 a pop. Best things I've bought in years.

Jelly+ on that Samsung, top screen tbh.

Only issue with CCFL backlights is that they eventually die (as in they eventually die faster than LED backlights) and repairs are likely impossible unless you find parts (which is for most part impossible).

Donor
    Very true about the CCFLs, although the 305t retailed at $1300 originally and seems to have been built with top quality backlights that age quite slowly. The 'new' 305 showed slightly lower brightness and colour temp than the other one, which I assumed was down to the backlight degradation. Turns out, no; it's the caps on the inverter board. When I swapped a re-capped inverter into the dimmer unit it became noticeably brighter and more white.

Man, I just love 30" 16:10. It's the prefect screen size and shape. If someone built a modern version with 144Hz, FreeSync and a DisplayPort I'd throw fistfuls of money at them for one.

Interesting how older stuff can be literally revitalized by a trivial recap <3 Did it on an old pair of speakers and they sound absolutely fantastic.

16:10 is great. I love it on my MBP, the extra screen real estate is really nice to have.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    I recapped a 1970s Husqvarna sewing machine, and now it works great again.

What thread is this?
      Spoiler:
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Find a used Dell 2412M?