hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3441424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Musk's statistical analysis appreciation thread. (Not Tesla related at all)

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    don

please

you have to have other things in your life
    Don [april 2011], 9995 posts, 98 posts a month
    Xenosis [july 2017], 4779 posts, 341 posts a month

Musk mocks SEC as "Shortselling Enrichment Commission"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/04/elon...ettlement.html

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Don

DON

Show us on the doll where Ol' Musky touched you.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Don "white noise" Rumata

Does anyone even read his posts? I now skip them on autopilot and only notice when someone else mentions him.

Shit. My brain has an ignore feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Don "white noise" Rumata

Does anyone even read his posts? I now skip them on autopilot and only notice when someone else mentions him.

Shit. My brain has an ignore feature.
    I have learned to ignore everybody called Don over the last year or two.

Keep posting Don, I like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Musk rants on Twitter against short-sellers, suffers third-degree burn

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Musk rants on Twitter against short-sellers, suffers third-degree burn

This genuinely made me laugh. Probably a lot more than it should have.

Musk is clearly a moron.

Shorts (primarily) act as a hedge against the bonds a company has issued. Tesla actually benefits from short positions because it gives them the ability to raise debt which wouldn't be available without hedging. The biggest danger to Tesla's share price is Musk himself if he cares that much about it (he can't even decide if the share price matters).
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Musk is clearly a moron.

Shorts (primarily) act as a hedge against the bonds a company has issued. Tesla actually benefits from short positions because it gives them the ability to raise debt which wouldn't be available without hedging. The biggest danger to Tesla's share price is Musk himself if he cares that much about it (he can't even decide if the share price matters).
    Yeah pmuch.

Shorts are a key part to how the whole system works and a pretty strong check on some of the bullshit in the end iirc, issues or not, as counterintuitive as it may sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Musk is clearly a moron.

He's just high. But its ok to be high and in charge of a multinational that can make or break tens of thousands of livelihoods (apparently).

fear not, Grimes is safe and sound and seen at a SpaceX party. Reports of her breakup with Musk were greatly exaggerated (and actually never confirmed I guess)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bor_bJwgyxI/
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; October 9 2018 at 01:36:02 AM.

Man this thread is gonna suck without Don

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    did he really shamequit again because he was utterly wrong, again? I'll try to post in his stead but I only care about grimes

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    did he really shamequit again because he was utterly wrong, again?
    FAKE NEWS, much like the ones from Musk.

Tesla claims it's the "safest car ever tested, according to NHTSA"

Which prompts unprecedented rebuke from NHTSA itself.
    Last edited by Don Rumata; October 9 2018 at 09:00:08 PM.

Since you're wrong again and I find that funny, here's an article that goes into details on why Tesla is claiming that.

https://jalopnik.com/how-tesla-made-...afe-1829610576

Spoiler: the NHTSA doesn't rank past 5 star but they do have stats on likely injuries as absolute value. Lookit dat chart for the TL;DR:

You might consider it meaningless at that point, but Tesla has every right to call themselves the safest car manufacturer around.

Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post

Since you're wrong again and I find that funny, here's an article that goes into details on why Tesla is claiming that.

Spoiler: the NHTSA doesn't rank past 5 star but they do have stats on likely injuries as absolute value. Lookit dat chart for the TL;DR:

You might consider it meaningless at that point, but Tesla has every right to call themselves the safest car manufacturer around.
    See, Don in this case is not actually wrong (although its not fake news). The NHTSA themselves have come out and said they only rank on stars and that graph is essentially meaningless (as posted by his link above). Tesla is also not wrong, they do indeed have the top 3 slots.. Its a bit of an odd situation but if the people publishing the stats say to ignore them then you pretty much have to ignore them.

I think they only thing you can actually take away from this is that Tesla as a car manufacturer have succeeded in having all of their cars consistently rate the highest possible rating in safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

See, Don in this case is not actually wrong (although its not fake news). The NHTSA themselves have come out and said they only rank on stars and that graph is essentially meaningless (as posted by his link above). Tesla is also not wrong, they do indeed have the top 3 slots.. Its a bit of an odd situation but if the people publishing the stats say to ignore them then you pretty much have to ignore them.

I think they only thing you can actually take away from this is that Tesla as a car manufacturer have succeeded in having all of their cars consistently rate the highest possible rating in safely.
    Well you don't have to be Einstein to figure out why NHTSA doesn't want to rate over 5 stars, the dick beating and grandstanding around their rating is already sky high so opening it up to even more granular "victories" would be cranking all of that up to 11.

Saying that they don't rate over 5 stars when they have hard stats that prove otherwise is pretty hypocritical. They don't want to have to stand by all of these different indicator as an institution but that doesn't make em' less valid.

Well you don't have to be Einstein to figure out why NHTSA doesn't want to rate over 5 stars, the dick beating and grandstanding around their rating is already sky high so opening it up to even more granular "victories" would be cranking all of that up to 11.

Saying that they don't rate over 5 stars when they have hard stats that prove otherwise is pretty hypocritical. They don't want to have to stand by all of these different indicator as an institution but that doesn't make em' less valid.
    Well that all depends, if their methodology for calculating the chance of being injured has changes, even slightly, over the last 7 years (which is likely as they learn more about car accidents and testing) then small percentages differences could be completely meaningless and they probably don't want to go back and test every car again using the new methods. Hell, they might even be aware of variances in their testing equipment that could account for a few percentages difference. None of this matters though because they dont certify based on those exact numbers, the give the car a rank out of 5 (which these all got 5 out of 5 for).

Its like an IQ test. The exact number is meaningless but the general range means a lot. (There is no difference between someone with a 110 IQ and someone with a 112 IQ, but there is a difference between 110 and 130)

Well that all depends, if their methodology for calculating the chance of being injured has changes, even slightly, over the last 7 years (which is likely as they learn more about car accidents and testing) then small percentages differences could be completely meaningless and they probably don't want to go back and test every car again using the new methods. Hell, they might even be aware of variances in their testing equipment that could account for a few percentages difference. None of this matters though because they dont certify based on those exact numbers, the give the car a rank out of 5 (which these all got 5 out of 5 for).

Its like an IQ test. The exact number is meaningless but the general range means a lot. (There is no difference between someone with a 110 IQ and someone with a 112 IQ, but there is a difference between 110 and 130)
    doesn't change the fact that of all the top IQ bracket car Tesla has the 3 highest IQ in the bunch lol.

As an IQ test, you can try to argue that the dude with the best score is really "one of the best" and that "you don't class once you're in the top bracket" but everybody else passed the same test and scored a little worse.

I mean it's pretty goddamned clear that the NHTSA simply doesn't want to devalue the rating they gave everyone else with their regular 5 star rating. It's commendable on their part but at the end of the day, it's their data on the table. If it was a fluke of the testing equipment Tesla wouldn't hold first second and third place on that ladder.

You also don't have to be a rocket surgeon to figure out that a brand new manufacturer without pre-existing supply line building electric car has an inherent advantage in that they can design from complete scratch. You don't have to deal with the regular constraints from your glass provider, you can shop around and start fresh. You can do the same with every new provider and sub-contractor. This lets you make decisions for valid safety reasons instead of corporate inertia.

At the end of the day, i'm of the opinion that at that point, the extra safety you get from the "50th" most secure 5 star car and the first is probably completely negligible. I mean I bought a car that doesn't have traction control, ABS or airbags, so i'm definitely not the customer that will check safety ratings before making a purchase. If the NHTSA didn't want car manufacturer to self proclaim themselves no.1 they should have hidden that table.

I also believe that this is overblown simply because it's tesla that makes the claim. They're probably the only one with a young and hungry marketing dept. that took the time to read the stack of paper that the NHTSA sent with the official certification or whatever and noticed that you could make pretty graphs from them. All of the other auto companies are probably too busy trying to get Patrick Dempsey on the phone to make another ad where a man longingly look out the window with a furrowed brow and a grisled beard to search in official documentation.